Best Place to Find Beautiful Molas

Islandattorney

We had a wonderful visit to the San Blas islands a few years ago and brought home some gorgeous molas. I would like to go back but that is unlikely so I am looking at the Panama Canal cruises (notice a few do stop there for a few hours, but of course not in the real heart of the small islands where folks paddle up to you in a dugout canoe to sell their creations). Anyway, I'm wondering what other stops have a good selection of molas...Colon has a bad rep generally but does it have any good vendor markets? How about the place on the west coast where many cruises are now stopping? Anyway, I would greatly appreciate recent info on this. Thanks.

I have only stopped at the Cristobal pier, (I'm sure the Colon 2000 pier would have something similar) they have a very nice vendor area set up on the pier. You need not be concerned about shopping in this area, only dangerous to your wallet;). There were Molas for sale, I really don't know about the price or quality.... hope that helps you a litte

The pier at Cristobal has a great Indian craft market . . . and if you are doing the "Shaping of Panama" tour, it stops at another great craft market at the old YMCA in Balboa - lots of Kuna selling molas. On that same tour, on the walking tour part in Casco Viejo there will be a number of Kuna selling molas as you walk by.

Regards, Richard

The pier at Cristobal has a great Indian craft market . . . and if you are doing the "Shaping of Panama" tour, it stops at another great craft market at the old YMCA in Balboa - lots of Kuna selling molas. On that same tour, on the walking tour part in Casco Viejo there will be a number of Kuna selling molas as you walk by.

Regards, Richard

What price range are we talking about for a decent (but not museum quality) mola? Thanks in advance.

What price range are we talking about for a decent (but not museum quality) mola? Thanks in advance.

Like any piece of art you are looking at the quality and intricacy of the work, as well as the size and time involved. You can find nice molas in the $20-35 range which are great to frame, use on pillows, or whatever. And you can pay $500 or more for larger, "museum quality" molas. When buying a mola turn it over and look at the back as well as the front, looking at the quality of the work.

Regards, Richard

Like any piece of art you are looking at the quality and intricacy of the work, as well as the size and time involved. You can find nice molas in the $20-35 range which are great to frame, use on pillows, or whatever. And you can pay $500 or more for larger, "museum quality" molas. When buying a mola turn it over and look at the back as well as the front, looking at the quality of the work.

Regards, Richard

Perfect, thanks. Looks like I know what souvenirs I'll be bringing home from this trip.

Richard: thanks so much for the good advice. I am thinking we willl try a taxi to the old YMCA and find the crafts market in the area, and hopefully still have time to take the tour to visit the Embera people, who we had not met on our previous visit to Panama & San Blas. You are a fine resource for all of us. My molas from that previous trip are treasured and like the other board commenter, I agree they make great gifts to bring back to friends.

I am thinking we willl try a taxi to the old YMCA and find the crafts market in the area, and hopefully still have time to take the tour to visit the Embera people,

Just a question, how long are you going to be in port, and where . . .

The Embera trip is 8 hours . . . and getting around Panama City, especially in the afternoon around 4PM when everyone is getting out of work, can be a real zoo and take lots of time . . . if your port is in Colon it's a good 1.5 hour drive each way across to Balboa to the old YMCA . . . don't want to mislead you . . . so a lot depends on where, and how long you will be in port ????

Regards, Richard

I meant to ask:

Does the same apply to the Colon 2000 pier? I think that's where the Carnival Freedom will dock next month.

Unfortunately, no. The best thing at Colon 2000 pier is that there is a big Super 99 grocery store . . . unless they've recently changed things, no Indian vendors. Some stuff in stores . . . higher priced, and not as much fun as buying directly from Indians.

Regards, Richard

We are on the Seaborn Legend and the ship's website says their tour to the Embera village is 6 hours. Our total time in port is shown as 10 hours. So I was hoping that would be enough time for both. Is it far to the craft market in Balboa from the ship's docking place in Fuerte Amador?

We are on the Seaborn Legend and the ship's website says their tour to the Embera village is 6 hours. Our total time in port is shown as 10 hours. So I was hoping that would be enough time for both. Is it far to the craft market in Balboa from the ship's docking place in Fuerte Amador?

Yes, I think it is doable since you have 10 hours and are in Amador. The YMCA craft market is 10-15 minute drive from Amador by taxi.

Enjoy! Regards, Richard

Unfortunately, no. The best thing at Colon 2000 pier is that there is a big Super 99 grocery store . . . unless they've recently changed things, no Indian vendors. Some stuff in stores . . . higher priced, and not as much fun as buying directly from Indians.

Regards, Richard

(Continuing to hound you, sorry :o )....

So what would be the closest/most convenient to reach craft market from Colon 2000 ? Taxi to Cristobal, etc?

Thanks again

I think I found the answer myself here on CC: http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=119

...Although Colon has the best shops and restaurants, Cristobal Pier gets high marks for its lively crafts market and folklore shows. But, regardless of where a cruise ship docks, visitors can experience both places, as the two cruise terminals are within easy reach -- and a $6, roundtrip taxi ride -- of each other....

$6 is an outrageous price to pay for a taxi within Colon . . . but, I'm sure, like taxi drivers anywhere, they take whatever they can get. Be aware that the Cristobal port Indian craft market is only open when there is a ship at Cristobal.

Regards, Richard

Is there a website with the pier schedule there?

Just to add to what's already been said, I bought some beautiful Molas at the Cristobol pier in Feb. I was surprised by how beautiful and detailed they were with good quality work on both sides for such reasonable prices at the pier.

We'd earlier gone on the Embera Indian Village excursion and had purchased items there from several different families. There were no molas at the village that we visited. We purchased some wood and some nut(can't remember the specific name of the nut at the moment) carvings, a woven mask, and some beautiful jewelry. The prices were very reasonable at the village and it only added to the value of the things that we purchased to meet the people that had actually created the treasurers that we purchased and will always remind us of our time at the village. We found that the same or very similar items we purchased at the village were a bit, although not greatly more expensive at the pier. We didn't find any of the jewelry at the pier to be as intricate and beautiful as we saw and purchased at the village.

We'd earlier gone on the Embera Indian Village excursion and had purchased items there from several different families. There were no molas at the village that we visited.

You visited the Embera village. Molas are made by the Kuna. Different people, different area of the country.

Panama Ports runs Pier 6 Cristobal. They do have a schedule of ships . . . although somewhat outdated right now . . . calling at their various facilities. I'm sure you could ask a cab driver . . . and if there is no ship in, I doubt that security would let you in.

Regards, Richard

Archived