do you think my cabin steward invaded my privacy?

loveandcruises

This may sound odd, but I am a tidy-traveler. When I land-travel, I keep the DND door marker displayed, indicating no housekeeping required.

Can I do the same on a cruise ship?

Thanks!

As others have said, leaving the DND sign 24/7 will likely get you a visit from a ship's officer wanting to know why. Your steward will not enter if the sign is on but will still be taken to task by the head housekeeper for not reporting 100% of his cabins serviced.

But no matter how tidy you are, on a ship with vacuum plumbing you want your toilet to be cleaned twice a day. Trust me on this.

It's not such a big deal, but last week on the Liberty of the Seas, my cabin steward needed sunglasses for his towel animal. I had three eyeglass cases on my dresser ... eyeglasses, reading glasses and sunglasses. He may or may bot have gone through each case to get to the correct glasses. I am not sure if this was o.k. or not o.k. to go through my stuff. What do you think??

I think you should have appreciated that he took the time to make you a towel animal.

If something like moving your glasses/sunglasses make you feel that your privacy was invaded then make sure everything you don't want touched is put away.

What a world we live in!!! Touched your sunglasses, an invasion of privacy???

Sad the way the world is changing this way. I hope some of you never stay in a hotel room, cruise ship, what about baggage handlers touching you suitcases? The laundry touching your towels, washcloths, sheets etc?? OMG you know they touch your glasses and plates too don't you?

As others have said, leaving the DND sign 24/7 will likely get you a visit from a ship's officer wanting to know why. Your steward will not enter if the sign is on but will still be taken to task by the head housekeeper for not reporting 100% of his cabins serviced.

But no matter how tidy you are, on a ship with vacuum plumbing you want your toilet to be cleaned twice a day. Trust me on this.

Thank you for this information, fishywood!

Every time I come to this message board I am amazed at the things people get their knickers in a twist over. :rolleyes:

Couldn't agree more.

The glasses were in a case on the bureau, not locked away in a safe. The poor guy who cleaned up after you, picked up your crap off the floor, made your bed, cleaned your room tried to cheer you up with a towel animal and by touching your glasses "invaded your privacy"... seriously, might be time for you to give up cruising. Heaven knows what the folks at the dry cleaner do with your knickers!

We leave nothing out....one of the treats of vacation is living in a soothing,immaculate cabin.....I spend more time in my cabin than most people and have tried the dnd sign and asking the steward for less service....they do fret and pace and just want to know what is wrong....we compromise for the most part.....now that I see the steward has paperwork I totally get it and next time will contact the supervisor.......to me towel animals are for kids but do remember that first cruise and how cute they were....I don't miss them ....

The room steward invaded your privacy. He had no business opening anything that was closed - your glasses case, your purse, your suitcase, a drawer, a medicine cabinet, a medicine bottle or a closet door.

I don't see the big deal

He was looking for sunglasses, which is common when they make certain towel animals .

He saw three eyeglass cases sitting ON the dresser. When I see eyeglass cases I pretty much figure there will be some type of eye wear in them.

If he had gone through drawers and took out lingerie or "personal" items and used them, I wouldn't be crazy about that. But taking sunglasses out of a case on top of a dresser is no big deal.

Couldn't agree more.

The glasses were in a case on the bureau, not locked away in a safe. The poor guy who cleaned up after you, picked up your crap off the floor, made your bed, cleaned your room tried to cheer you up with a towel animal and by touching your glasses "invaded your privacy"... seriously, might be time for you to give up cruising. Heaven knows what the folks at the dry cleaner do with your knickers!

How did it go from eyeglass cases on the counter to the mess you just described?

My late DH could not see an inch in front of his face without his glasses. He wore trifocals and his sunglasses and regular glasses were changed often throughout his day and he kept the case on his bedside table so he could easily change as he wanted. We would have not liked for a steward to handle those glasses as they were very costly. I don't see how my DH leaving easy access to his eyeglass case on the bedside table translates into 'the poor guy picking up crap off the floor'. No steward or hotel housekeeper ever had to pick up 'crap off the floor' from any room in which we ever stayed.

I just read a cruise review recently where the poster was delighted with their towel animal and the fact that the room steward used their sunglasses to complete the animal. Their advice was "make sure to leave your sunglasses out so the steward can use them."

Now imagine if this poor steward had both this cruiser and the OP on their cruise. Just can't win!:eek:

Most of our Cabin Stewards work long hours. I travel solo for the most part. I love my towel animals. Whether they used something at hand or not. For someone to take the time to leave you a token of themselves is precious. Honestly, your privacy is invaded once you step on a ship, stay in a hotel, travel via train, bus or airplane. Even our homes are not private. So enjoy the little gifts along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Flamencacha

Definately NOT an invation of your privacy! You left the cases in plain sight, AND it's obvious what they were, eyeglass cases. If he went into your purse or bag or drawers, well, that's another story. He is just working for his tip. I LOVE the towell animals, and would be disappointed if they stopped doing them.

I don't leave ANYTHING "in drawers" or "in the closet" that I don't mind my cabin stewart seeing/touching. There is no guarantee of "privacy" ... except in the safe, which they can't access.

Seriously people .... I would say, "Lighten up! You are ON VACATION!"

:) Jeff aka Recovery Dude

No good deed goes unpunished.

No -- your "privacy" was not invaded, for heaven's sake. They are glasses. Just glasses. Someone tried to do something nice for you and you are worried that your sunglasses' privacy was invaded. Relax. You are supposed to be on vacation. If this is what you spend your time thinking about, vacationing around others might not be for you.