Anyone ever use GLOBAL ENTRY at a sea port

CoachT

Given the percentage of cruisers who won't get a passport, I doubt if there will be a high enough number of Global Entry enrolled cruisers to justify CBP investing in cruise terminal kiosks anytime soon.

Excellent point. Of course, one of the problems with the Global Entry kiosks - which has happened to us twice - is that people fiddled around with the kiosk without GE, trying to use the kiosk anyway, apparently believing that it is just a speedier option. They spent several minutes hogging it before giving up and getting in the regular line.

So yesterday we were leaving our cruise in Ft Laudedale (Oasis of the Seas), lines were awful but I saw a Global Entry sign off in the distance with a few people heading that way. I couldn't see a kiosk but I was probably about 50 yards away. It's why I did a search and found this thread - to research if Global Entry would be worth getting. Am I the only who has seen this sign in FTL?

I passed through Port Everglades CBP three times in January and didn't notice it....but that doesn't mean anything. Certainly if I had seen it I would have been all over it.

I passed through Port Everglades CBP three times in January and didn't notice it....but that doesn't mean anything. Certainly if I had seen it I would have been all over it.

If you're in line facing the CBP desks, the Global Entry sign was on the far right.

If you're in line facing the CBP desks, the Global Entry sign was on the far right.

Well maybe the fact that I was in the line for other than US citizens to the left of the US citizens line is why I didn't see it but I will certainly look for it in the future.

So yesterday we were leaving our cruise in Ft Laudedale (Oasis of the Seas), lines were awful but I saw a Global Entry sign off in the distance with a few people heading that way. I couldn't see a kiosk but I was probably about 50 yards away. It's why I did a search and found this thread - to research if Global Entry would be worth getting. Am I the only who has seen this sign in FTL?

CBP's official web site lists a number of airports with global entry - but no seaports. As has been pointed out, the fact that many, if not a majority of cruisers debarking at US ports travel without passports would make the kiosks largely irrelevant. There has been a lot of misinformation about global entry - and I suspect rumors of those facilities being at Port Everglades fall in that category. Otherwise, CBP would be aware of their existence.

Huh, I knew I read it somewhere. I can't copy it so here is the link. Using the Nexus Lane for a ship

https://nexus-card.com/using-the-nexus-lane/

That's the website of a company that is trying to sell you their services to assist in obtaining a Nexus card, not a government website.

It's worthless for purposes of this discussion.

Edited by njhorseman

That's the website of a company that is trying to sell you their services to assist in obtaining a Nexus card, not a government website.

Well, I guess I almost got tricked then. I downloaded the application to fill in to prepare to make an appointment. Thanks for the heads up.

I wonder if maybe the Alaska Ferry system or the BC Ferries system use this? They have plenty of people day after day using their ferries and making use of Nexus would make sense for the Border Patrols. For cruiseships, probably not so much yet. To have a piece of machinery sitting there, unused most days, vs a ferry port where it is used everyday…

For air, GE is great. It gives me TSA PreCheck opportunity, at re-entering the US, I just walk up to one of the kiosks, slide my passport, do my 'prints, and do a couple of questions, grab the paper output and hand it to the Customs official as I walk out.

DH and I both have Global Entry cards so I am not sure what the reference to a "sticker" is about. When our passports are scanned of course they can see we have GE, but we have no "sticker".

Initially Global Entry had no identification cards, they just embedded the membership into your passport data.

Since there was no proof of enrollment then, at the time they issued little square stickers they affixed to back page of the passport that said CBP in blue letters, so if one has issues with the kiosk, they could walk direct to the head of any line of people waiting, flash the CBP sticker, and then get processed next-in-line by a human. I have also handwritten my membership number next to it so I always have it handy when needed (such as booing airlines I don't frequent to get my TSA Precheck deals on the reservations).

A few years later, they added the ability to get a real ID card for people who had a use for it, and last I knew, those from the old days could pay $50 and get one mailed. I have not requested the ID card and have had no issues to date.

and they are charging $99.95 service fee (plus the government enrollment fee of $100) to do nothing more than run the website! They just have you fill in the same documents you'd do yourself and mail in anyway!

I wonder if maybe the Alaska Ferry system or the BC Ferries system use this? They have plenty of people day after day using their ferries and making use of Nexus would make sense for the Border Patrols. For cruiseships, probably not so much yet. To have a piece of machinery sitting there, unused most days, vs a ferry port where it is used everyday…

Well for BC Ferries it would be an non starter as they operate entirely between BC ports and any US citizen will have already cleared CBSA at some point. The Alaska ferry does have a route that operates out of Prince Rupert, BC to Alaska but the volume of traffic would not likely make it worthwhile for CBP.

• 2 months later...
We've been wondering the same thing. I'm doing enough flying that I'm ready to pay for pre-check. GOES is only $15 more, but requires me to travel out of state for the interview. We will, however, be in Las Vegas on Dec 23, and could do the interview then if they will be open.

I'm trying to decide if I want to wait and do the interview then, or just do the TSA one as soon as I can take a day off work to go to a location that offers it.

Anyone know any updates?

Hi! I got global entry INSTEAD of TSA Precheck because it was only $15 more and gave me both domestic and international privelidges. Keep in mind, in order to qualify for Global Entry, YOU CANNOT HAVE A CONVICTION OF ANY KIND ON YOUR RECORD. Also, it took about 2 weeks or so to get "approved" before I could set up the interview. However, I was able to get an appointment literally the NEXT day at the Philadelphia airport, but I'm not sure if it's like that at all airports.

Now that I have Global Entry, I am SO HAPPY to have it, instead of just TSA Precheck. I travel internationally about once a year, and have a very tight connection in Chicago that I would most likely miss without Global Entry. :)

I don't mind it's not set up for cruises ... but would LOVE it if It one day was in sea ports.

:)Jeff AKA Recovery Dude

• 3 months later...
Are you saying they had the global entry automated kiosks that scan your fingerprints?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I disembarked on Saturday,11/21/15, at Pier/Terminal 2, Emerald Princess at Port Everglades. There are huge GLOBAL ENTRY signs hanging and the Princess agents in the terminal are aware of GE.

Other threads have reported that there are no current plans for kiosks. Instead, you MUST have your GE card to show. Cardholders are admitted to the "special assistance" queue which only had a few people ahead of me. I did have to hand my card along with passport AND completed declarations form to the agent. This is a recounting of my actual experience in T2. It could be slightly different in other terminals for other cruise lines, but I have read reports that all accept GE in this or a similar fashion: paper declarations, card required and no kiosk.

I disembarked on Saturday,11/21/15, at Pier/Terminal 2, Emerald Princess at Port Everglades. There are huge GLOBAL ENTRY signs hanging and the Princess agents in the terminal are aware of GE.

Other threads have reported that there are no current plans for kiosks. Instead, you MUST have your GE card to show. Cardholders are admitted to the "special assistance" queue which only had a few people ahead of me. I did have to hand my card along with passport AND completed declarations form to the agent. This is a recounting of my actual experience in T2. It could be slightly different in other terminals for other cruise lines, but I have read reports that all accept GE in this or a similar fashion: paper declarations, card required and no kiosk.

I wish you and kwokpot could get together and give definitive information re: GE kiosks at Port Everglades. There has been more misinformation posted concerning GE than on almost any other topic.

Has anyone actually used a global entry kiosk at Port Everglades (or at any other cruise terminal)? I do not mean "Saw a big Global Entry sign", or was able to use "special assistance".

I wish you and kwokpot could get together and give definitive information re: GE kiosks at Port Everglades. There has been more misinformation posted concerning GE than on almost any other topic.

Has anyone actually used a global entry kiosk at Port Everglades (or at any other cruise terminal)? I do not mean "Saw a big Global Entry sign", or was able to use "special assistance".

Posted on the Princess Board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274908&page=2&highlight=global+entry, post # 39:

Okay..... Here's the answer from CBP Port Everglades

Global Entry is here to stay at Port Everglades. The program was expanded this season to include ALL CRUISE TERMINALS at PE. It is not temporary nor experimental.

However, kiosks are not, and will not be installed.

Entry varies from normal GE procedure in that pax MUST fill out the paper declaration form that is included in your on board debarkation packet. On debarkation, GE holders show their GE Card to cruise line personnel ashore in the arrival hall, who in turn will direct pax to the GE line. Was told that you MUST show your GE/Nexus card, but I would think if you insisted you were a participant but did not have the card with you, you would be permitted to proceed. CBP at GE will collect your paper declaration and scan your passport. Away you go!

I asked the question about line jumping. Was assured that if they scanned your passport and you did not have GE/Nexus you would be sent to the back of the long line.

Was also told that this is for Port Everglades only. As far as they knew it was not available at Port of Miami at this time.

Edited by capriccio

We have Nexxus cards and they were of no use when taking the ferry from Washington State to Victoria, BC- in terms on expediting things- but we used them as proof of citizenship- but had our passports along as well. NEXXUS is only $50 and includes TSA prechcek and global entry- but you have to go to the Canadian Border to get one. Very happy that GE is now available at Port Everglades.

• 2 months later...

when we got the global entry card in los Angeles, they said never carry the card unless you are walking across the border at Mexico. So we did not.

However, on our last cruise home from Panama on Crystal, they did not have the kiosk with digital access . WE cleared customs on board--lovely, but we were essentially WALKING across a boarder. Since they did not have the digital kiosk we had to show the card--no paper acceptable. we were sorry as the lines were long.

BRING YOUR CARD IF SHIP has on board customs clearance

• 3 weeks later...

I have Global Entry, but my family member travel companion does not, and uses a wheelchair. Will we both be able to use the Global Entry line at Port Everglades?

Posted on the Princess Board http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2274908&page=2&highlight=global+entry, post # 39:

Okay..... Here's the answer from CBP Port Everglades

Global Entry is here to stay at Port Everglades. The program was expanded this season to include ALL CRUISE TERMINALS at PE. It is not temporary nor experimental.

However, kiosks are not, and will not be installed.

Entry varies from normal GE procedure in that pax MUST fill out the paper declaration form that is included in your on board debarkation packet. On debarkation, GE holders show their GE Card to cruise line personnel ashore in the arrival hall, who in turn will direct pax to the GE line. Was told that you MUST show your GE/Nexus card, but I would think if you insisted you were a participant but did not have the card with you, you would be permitted to proceed. CBP at GE will collect your paper declaration and scan your passport. Away you go!

I asked the question about line jumping. Was assured that if they scanned your passport and you did not have GE/Nexus you would be sent to the back of the long line.

Was also told that this is for Port Everglades only. As far as they knew it was not available at Port of Miami at this time.

I have Global Entry' date=' but my family member travel companion does not, and uses a wheelchair. Will we both be able to use the Global Entry line at Port Everglades?[/quote']

Only if the person in a chair is also global entry.

You are able to use the standard lines, but they can not use global entry as it requires background screening etc.

I forget which pier it was, but there was overhead signage for global entry to go to a specific immigration stand to clear. I followed this line and overhead signage after my November/December cruise on Connie.

Only if the person in a chair is also global entry.

You are able to use the standard lines, but they can not use global entry as it requires background screening etc.

Technically true...but remember this isn't a normal global entry site, like you think of at the airports.

There are no machines and you fill out the old style forms.

The actual custom agent really never knows you are global entry eligible.