Anyone ever use GLOBAL ENTRY at a sea port

CoachT

Got our GLOBAL ENTRY done last week and the CBP agent said this can also use to get to the front of the line at any SeaPort. I know if the kiosks in airports are not working, we are to go to the closest agent and show our sticker and/or card and we then get to be next in line. She also said it is the same at seaports.

Has anyone done this with a GLOBAL ENTRY card when coming off a cruise?

Got our GLOBAL ENTRY done last week and the CBP agent said this can also use to get to the front of the line at any SeaPort. I know if the kiosks in airports are not working, we are to go to the closest agent and show our sticker and/or card and we then get to be next in line. She also said it is the same at seaports.

As far as I know there are no cruise ship ports in the US that have Global Entry facilities so its a moot question.

interesting question --

from the Global Entry FAQ

Q: Where can Global Entry cards be used for border crossing?

A: Global Entry cards are Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative compliant documents for land and sea travel.

However only airports are listed as having kiosks.

Did the CBP officer give you any details or instructions?

The officer interviewing me (by the way the nicest dealings I have ever had with a member of the government) said if the kiosk at an airport is not working, you go to the closest line at the front and show your sticker affixed to your passport. You then will be the next in line.

I said what about coming off a cruise ship, she said the same thing. Show your sticker and you will be the next in line.

That's not quite consistent with the Global Entry FAQ, which only refers to airports, but not necessarily contradictory, either. My experience is that you may not see actual CBP personnel until nearly at the front of the line anyway at busy cruise ship ports. Prior to getting near the CBP booths, you see only port employees or cruise ship employees, and I would doubt that any of them would let you jump the queue. I remember a huge delay at Ft. Lauderdale last March, where it took nearly an hour to snake through after picking up luggage, as there was a shortage of CBP personnel to man the entry booths that day. Give it a try and let us know how it works. What port will you be entering?

Q: As a Global Entry program member, or NEXUS or SENTRI member with the Global Entry benefit, do I get head of the line privilege at U.S. airports where Global Entry kiosks are not available?

A: The head of the line privilege is only available at the 20 U.S. airports that have Global Entry kiosks. The head of the line privilege is reserved for program members if the kiosks are out of service, get referred to a CBP officer and at the egress/exit points.

The officer interviewing me (by the way the nicest dealings I have ever had with a member of the government) said if the kiosk at an airport is not working, you go to the closest line at the front and show your sticker affixed to your passport. You then will be the next in line.

I said what about coming off a cruise ship, she said the same thing. Show your sticker and you will be the next in line.

It would seem to me that there is a huge difference between being able to line jump at an airport which is supposed to have a kiosk but where the kiosk is not operational.

Since this program doesn't appear to be designed for cruise disembarkation and no cruise ports currently have these machines, I'd have a huge problem if people were able to jump the queue when getting off a cruise.

Edited by Lsimon

Further to what I said earlier, I have Global Entry and have never seen a GE kiosk at the port of Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Seattle, San Diego or Boston. I don't see them implementing it for cruises, the volume is so low and infrequent that it would not seem to be cost effective.

As has been pointed out the "head of the line" thing only applies IF the airport has kiosks AND they are either out of service OR the one you are using has an unrecoverable error while you are using it. You don't get to go the head of the line if there are no kiosks in the airport.

???? Problems in the same fashion you would have for Elites or suite passengers jumping the queue to get on board ships, or tenders, or anything else?

Or is that okay because that particular perk may apply to you?

If you re-read my response more carefully you'll see that I was responding to statement that referred to situations where there are normally kiosks but where the kiosks were not operational. This is not the situation at any cruise port that I've ever heard of. I also said that I didn't think the program was ever designed for cruise ship disembarkation.

If the program specifically listed the right to jump to the front of the line at cruise port disembarkation regardless of whether or not they had the kiosks then I might not like it much but I'd feel differently.

Perhaps I did jump a bit in posting my first response, as I don't think the OP intended to jump the lines if he did not have that right; he was probably just inquiring to determine if he did have that right. But the direction of the thread was making me a little grouchy. In any event, I stand by my assertion that I think it would be inappropriate for anyone to use the program as an excuse to jump the queue when the right did not actually exist. We all know that those that jump the line without the right to do so often get away with it even though it might be breaking rules or policies and be an ill-mannered practice.

This all differs from the rights given by the cruise line to Elite cruisers. In that case the rights are part of a well publicized program that specifically applies to the situation at hand. While it doesn't make much of a difference, I'll also point out that Elite members do not have the right to jump the queue to board the ship. What they have is a separate check in area which in some, but not all, cases has a shorter wait than the general line. Before and after that in the process they wait in the same lines with everyone else.

Edited by Lsimon

I agree with you Larry. From what I know about the GE program (although it sounds like a security hole waiting to happen to me) it is designed for airports. The 'location' list is here: http://www.globalentry.gov/locations.html

I don't think it applies to cruise ports. We're never in a big enough hurry to get off the ship that we'd assume we should be able to cut in front of someone else (Elite or not). We think it's cool that there is a special perk for a place to sit for Elites, but that's sort of like having a special line to get on an airplane. Unlike airlines, and as you said, we've never gotton on first because of it. We just have a slightly nicer place to wait and sometimes free cups of coffee or water.

I've never seen an Elite member walk past everyone in line to get in at the front.

That said, if there was some cruise port sanctioned reason why they should be able to then I wouldn't gripe about it. Well, not out loud anyway :rolleyes:

Tom

If you re-read my response more carefully you'll see that I was responding to statement that referred to situations where there are normally kiosks but where the kiosks were not operational. This is not the situation at any cruise port that I've ever heard of. I also said that I didn't think the program was ever designed for cruise ship disembarkation.

If the program specifically listed the right to jump to the front of the line at cruise port disembarkation regardless of whether or not they had the kiosks then I might not like it much but I'd feel differently.

Perhaps I did jump a bit in posting my first response, as I don't think the OP intended to jump the lines if he did not have that right; he was probably just inquiring to determine if he did have that right. But the direction of the thread was making me a little grouchy. In any event, I stand by my assertion that I think it would be inappropriate for anyone to use the program as an excuse to jump the queue when the right did not actually exist. We all know that those that jump the line without the right to do so often get away with it even though it might be breaking rules or policies and be an ill-mannered practice.

This all differs from the rights given by the cruise line to Elite cruisers. In that case the rights are part of a well publicized program that specifically applies to the situation at hand. While it doesn't make much of a difference, I'll also point out that Elite members do not have the right to jump the queue to board the ship. What they have is a separate check in area which in some, but not all, cases has a shorter wait than the general line. Before and after that in the process they wait in the same lines with everyone else.

As I already wrote the Global Entry website says:

A: Global Entry cards are Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative compliant documents for land and sea travel.

That being said, no one so far has seen it in use at any cruise port.

I have Global Entry and Nexus. As both are fairly new not all airports are set up yet . If they are not then we can't use it. Where it is set up but maybe closed at the time then we can go to the line where the flight staff go. They are not set up for cruise ports at this time so we have no priveledges there.

Not all border crossings have Nexus lines so we just get in line as usual.

So if you ask and they don't have it then get in line. Simple.

We love it when we get off a plane and see that sign though!!! fast and painless

• 3 months later...

I've used my Global Entry card (with SENTRI number) as my immigration document with my cruise profile, and showed it to the CBP officer on past cruises. I didn't get to skip the line, but there was no problem using the card either. It was essentially the same as using the passport, though I suppose it slightly reduced the chances of getting extra inspections.

Have had our Global Entry cards for about two years now and while they are "compliant documents for land and sea travel," to date US cruise ports are not set up for their use. It should be noted that the card affords one certain privileges rather than rights and I doubt jumping lines at cruise ports which are not set up for GE (i.e., aren't equipped with kiosks) is one of those privileges. After seeing how many cruise pax react when someone jumps a buffet line or darts into an elevator ahead of those who are waiting, who in his/her right mind would even want to push the GE issue with two thousand pax waiting in line?

At this point in time, the cards' value is expedited customs/immigration upon arrival at US airports in connection with international travel. The program is still in its infancy and is slowly incorporating US airports for use in connection with domestic air travel. I'm guessing if cruise ports are eventually added to the mix, it won't be for a long while.

Edited by lysolqn

The other problem is, if you are traveling with others that do not have Global Entry, they would not be able to go to the head of the line with you. My DH has Global entry and I do not, so we were told that I would have to wait in line with everyone else, so what would be the advantage unless you are traveling alone?

Edited by DiamondSuiteCruiser

Have had our Global Entry cards for about two years now and while they are "compliant documents for land and sea travel," to date US cruise ports are not set up for their use. It should be noted that the card affords one certain privileges rather than rights and I doubt jumping lines at cruise ports which are not set up for GE (i.e., aren't equipped with kiosks) is one of those privileges. After seeing how many cruise pax react when someone jumps a buffet line or darts into an elevator ahead of those who are waiting, who in his/her right mind would even want to push the GE issue with two thousand pax waiting in line?

At this point in time, the cards' value is expedited customs/immigration upon arrival at US airports in connection with international travel. The program is still in its infancy and is slowly incorporating US airports for use in connection with domestic air travel. I'm guessing if cruise ports are eventually added to the mix, it won't be for a long while.

It is set up for use, but not for any expedited privileges. You still wait on the line, but you can show your GlobalEntry card instead of your Passport Card or Passport Book.

I don't remember what it was like when I showed my passport and how many questions were asked, but the last time I cruised and showed my GE card, there were no questions asked, and I was immediately waived by after he scanned the card.

I noticed when I filled out the Celebrity page for my express pass last week that there was a place to check if we are using Nexus for ID . This was not the case a year ago.

When you apply for Nexus ( Global Entry came with it) they check your background and then you go for interviews with both US and Canadian customs agents. After that you wait for approval. In the process we are taught all the rules for travelling cross borders, what we can and cannot bring, etc.. Therefore when travelling the custom agents do not need to ask us all the questions. They said we would be searched once in the first 10 trips . Well we are almost at 10 and are still waiting. If we get caught with something we lose the cards and get flagged!!!

We are classed as 'trusted travellers' and we LOVE the fast lane...and we have no intentions of breaking rules and losing this>

I would love to see a lane at the cruise ports and if we are in it then the other lines are shorter

A very large percentage of cruisers are not educated as to the laws of entry into countries. I see it on these boards. The lines would be faster for all if everyone were educated!! Even to get back into their own country!!

I noticed when I filled out the Celebrity page for my express pass last week that there was a place to check if we are using Nexus for ID . This was not the case a year ago.

When you apply for Nexus ( Global Entry came with it) they check your background and then you go for interviews with both US and Canadian customs agents. After that you wait for approval. In the process we are taught all the rules for travelling cross borders, what we can and cannot bring, etc.. Therefore when travelling the custom agents do not need to ask us all the questions. They said we would be searched once in the first 10 trips . Well we are almost at 10 and are still waiting. If we get caught with something we lose the cards and get flagged!!!

We are classed as 'trusted travellers' and we LOVE the fast lane...and we have no intentions of breaking rules and losing this>

I would love to see a lane at the cruise ports and if we are in it then the other lines are shorter

A very large percentage of cruisers are not educated as to the laws of entry into countries. I see it on these boards. The lines would be faster for all if everyone were educated!! Even to get back into their own country!!

While there are some lesser-known rules (Conch Shells?), I think most people are well aware that when they try to bring in 20 cartons of cigarettes or 20 liters of vodka that they are trying to break the rules -- and they are just lying to avoid the tax. Also, a big one that seemed to catch a lot of people on my last cruise on Oasis of the Seas was that RCCL informed CBP of people who made large purchases on the onboard shop and did not claim them on their entry forms, so a high % of people got caught trying to game the system.

Like you said, Trusted Travelers do not want to lose this privilege, and don't play games to save $50 in taxes.

What sticker are you talking about? I am a Global Entry/Trusted Traveler Member and do not have any sticker; only the GE credit card-sized card that was issued. So what are yo talking about?

What sticker are you talking about? I am a Global Entry/Trusted Traveler Member and do not have any sticker; only the GE credit card-sized card that was issued. So what are yo talking about?

They are supposed to put a sticker on the last page of the passport that says "CBP" at the end of the interview. You can just go back (without an appointment) and ask for the sticker if they forgot, just bring your passport and GE card. The sticker is useful to show that you are supposed to be treated as GE if you don't have your GE card with you.

They are supposed to put a sticker on the last page of the passport that says "CBP" at the end of the interview. You can just go back (without an appointment) and ask for the sticker if they forgot, just bring your passport and GE card. The sticker is useful to show that you are supposed to be treated as GE if you don't have your GE card with you.

Wow, thanks for the info, I just checked and it's right there where you said it should be. It was never pointed out to me, so I never knew about it. Thanks!:)

• 1 year later...
Wow, thanks for the info, I just checked and it's right there where you said it should be. It was never pointed out to me, so I never knew about it. Thanks!:)

Our family just got our GOES a week ago. I see it's been a while since someone has responded, so I thought I would provide the info we got last week - a year later than the last info.

First of all, they no longer use stickers on your passport. They specifically pointed this out so we were not wondering why we didn't get one. They said your card is now the proof you need if the computers are down.

We asked them about cruise ships, and got a couple different answers. One told us that there are *some* terminals where your card will get you expedited access. Another employee told us that there are some cruise terminals that have kiosks. But they both agreed if you show your card you will be expedited.

I will see in April - should be interesting. Personally I can handle the dirty looks should there be any. :o The whole purpose of GOES and TSA pre-check is to have expedited services, so who am I to complain if they add cruise disembarkation to that list?

I would love if at least a couple of the major cruise terminals had Global Entry or Nexus kiosks. I think as someone else pointed out there may not be enough holders to make it worthwhile :( Wish they did... it's a great process at the airports.

As I already wrote the Global Entry website says:

That being said, no one so far has seen it in use at any cruise port.

We have never used our Nexus/GE cards when entering the US or Canada from a cruise ship, as we have never seen the kiosks allowing us to do so. We HAVE, however, used the cards for personal marine travel; ie. boating with friends from the Windsor to Detroit areas, where you can call a number to expedite your marine landing. Perhaps this is what the website is referring to as sea travel, at least for now.

Isn't one of the technical requirements for using GOES or similar entry, that you are doing so for BUSINESS purposes (when you compete the customs forms?)?

I thought I remembered reading in the application, but I did it years ago, or it could have been one of the even older susses from hers gone by.