Do Any of the Lines Have Ships 600-1200 Pax Size?

LBeeE

And still have a wide age-range of passengers? I'm not looking for ultra-small (elite) like 100-400, but I'm also not looking for 2000+ Just looking around for a different experience next time, preferably with a mix of ages, and not sure where to look. Would enjoy a more personalized experience and would like to visit some ports that can't be accessed by large mega ships. We also don't want to be the only passengers onboard under age 40 with kids.

And still have a wide age-range of passengers? I'm not looking for ultra-small (elite) like 100-400, but I'm also not looking for 2000+ Just looking around for a different experience next time, preferably with a mix of ages, and not sure where to look. Would enjoy a more personalized experience and would like to visit some ports that can't be accessed by large mega ships. We also don't want to be the only passengers onboard under age 40 with kids.

With focus on US cruise lines I recommend Ocean Princess and Pacific Princess, same ships as Azamara and affordable.

Several European cruise lines offer many ships this size.

The more expensive the line, the smaller the ship, generally speaking, and the less "bells and whistles" it will have. Also, more money = older passengers, in general. There are exceptions, like Crystal....it's a larger ship, but pricey!

I would give Holland America a try. I was on a short 3 day cruise from San Diego to Vancouver and enjoyed it. The demographic was a little older than what I am used to, but on that same note, it was quieter and more relaxing, and far less crowded.

(I am 43, wife is 33, we took 3 boys 13, 14, 16)

The more expensive the line, the smaller the ship, generally speaking, and the less "bells and whistles" it will have. Also, more money = older passengers, in general. There are exceptions, like Crystal....it's a larger ship, but pricey!

If you are just a couple and you factor in the cost of Ultimate beverage package and specialty dining on Royal--Crystal becomes more reasonable (with every Nickel and Dime added)

I would give Holland America a try. I was on a short 3 day cruise from San Diego to Vancouver and enjoyed it. The demographic was a little older than what I am used to, but on that same note, it was quieter and more relaxing, and far less crowded.

(I am 43, wife is 33, we took 3 boys 13, 14, 16)

Our first cruise in 1995 was with HAL and our kids were ages 10 and 12. It was a 7 day Thanksgiving cruise and there were less than 75 kids on that cruise. There really wasn't much for them to do. HAL does have a kids program, but it doesn't compare to what Royal offers. The demographics on HAL are a much older clientele. We also enjoyed our cruise, but our kids were bored on sea days. Our kids have since cruised on HAL when they were in their 20's and agree that HAL is great for a port intensive cruise, but if looking for a nightlife, HAL lacks entertainment. Just giving another perspective for the OP.

Princess has two "little girls" which hold 672 passengers -- Ocean Princess and Pacific Princess. :)

LuLu

The Ocean Princess was sold to Oceania, and has gone through a total upgrade to become Sirena.

OP should consider Oceania. The R ships carry less than 700 while the O ships have about 1200. Many young professionals, including those with children are choosing Oceania for the interesting itineraries, excellent food and lack of nickel/diming found on mass market lines.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

There are many ships that are in this range.

There is a terrific book that is written annually by Douglas Ward and published by Berlitz that I would recommend getting. It will give you information on most ships including size and passenger capacity and a narrative on what to expect.

http://www.amazon.com/Berlitz-Cruising-Cruise-Ships-Guide/dp/1780048319/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441002489&sr=8-1&keywords=Douglas+Ward+Cruising+2016

Keith

The Ocean Princess was sold to Oceania, and has gone through a total upgrade to become Sirena.

OP should consider Oceania. The R ships carry less than 700 while the O ships have about 1200. Many young professionals, including those with children are choosing Oceania for the interesting itineraries, excellent food and lack of nickel/diming found on mass market lines.

The Ocean Princess has not left for Oceania yet. Her last cruise for Princess will be a 64 day circumnavigation of South America. It starts early January.

HAL's Prinsendam is a small ship -- 766 - 843 passengers. She primarily sails in Europe. She does do a 14 day Caribbean cruise over Christmas and New Years.

The Maasdam -- 1266 -- 1613 -- Caribbean, Alaska.

The Veendam -- also 1266 - 1613 passengers. Bermuda, Canada/New England, Panama Canal, Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico.

The Ocean Princess has not left for Oceania yet. Her last cruise for Princess will be a 64 day circumnavigation of South America. It starts early January.

My bad! I got the shiny Sirena brochure and hadn't yet looked carefully at the itineraries. Maiden voyage of Sirena will start April 27, 2016 - a 14-night cruise from Barcelona to Venice.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Oceania Regatta has some sailing with children's program on the Alaska route

But generally they do not cater to children

If your children are older & do not need to be entertained you may like Oceania

American Queen a paddlewheel ship may also be of interest if you want to see some of the USA