Just off the Liberty

Giantfan13

We just got back off the 12 day repositioning cruise (San Juan to Galveston) on the Carnival Liberty.

We enjoyed the cruise very much. The itinerary was great with great ports (St Thomas, Granada, Barbados, Tobago (they could have skipped this port), Aruba and Grand Cayman) and 5 sea days.

Just a quick summation. Many, many diamond members on this cruise and an equal number of Platinum.

Food was outstanding

Service was just as good as most of the staff tried calling you by name as they get it.

Shows, left a lot to be desired, BAD would be a better word.

Punch liner was good except for one comic who did the EXACT same show at the EXACT same time 2 days in a row. And when people walked out he insulted them. BOO

Ship was pleasing and never really felt crowded. We spent most time on the Serenity deck using the hot tubs at night a couple of times by ourselves.

They had a private meet the Captain for Diamond, but also another for the others.

BTW, this was a Carnival Throwback cruise where they had midnight buffets etc

I also celebrated a birthday on the cruise and Carnival sent some nice things to my room. Gave me a $50 spa card which my DW enjoyed.

Talked to many people as we had Anytime dining and most agree, we want tablecloths back. We always asked for an extra napkin to put our silverware on. Sort of reminded us we might be eating at Arby's instead of a formal dining room on a cruise.

If I can answer any questions, I will try.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Thanks for the report. Liberty is to date still my favorite ship, and also my favorite cruise. My cruise however was back in 2009, pre 2.0 and pre playlist, as well as pre American Table. I would still love to cruise on Liberty again, but Galveston is not quite easy for me to get to. Thanks again for the review.:)

Liberty has live music for the shows...it is great!

Marsha

All ships have live music for their shows, aided by recorded tracks. That's why the music sounds really full. I assume you are talking about their productions.

We just got back off the 12 day repositioning cruise (San Juan to Galveston) on the Carnival Liberty.

We enjoyed the cruise very much. The itinerary was great with great ports (St Thomas, Granada, Barbados, Tobago (they could have skipped this port), Aruba and Grand Cayman) and 5 sea days.

Just a quick summation. Many, many diamond members on this cruise and an equal number of Platinum.

Food was outstanding

Service was just as good as most of the staff tried calling you by name as they get it.

Shows, left a lot to be desired, BAD would be a better word.

Punch liner was good except for one comic who did the EXACT same show at the EXACT same time 2 days in a row. And when people walked out he insulted them. BOO

Ship was pleasing and never really felt crowded. We spent most time on the Serenity deck using the hot tubs at night a couple of times by ourselves.

They had a private meet the Captain for Diamond, but also another for the others.

BTW, this was a Carnival Throwback cruise where they had midnight buffets etc

I also celebrated a birthday on the cruise and Carnival sent some nice things to my room. Gave me a $50 spa card which my DW enjoyed.

Talked to many people as we had Anytime dining and most agree, we want tablecloths back. We always asked for an extra napkin to put our silverware on. Sort of reminded us we might be eating at Arby's instead of a formal dining room on a cruise.

If I can answer any questions, I will try.

Cheers

Len

What were the names of the shows? I hope they are not the same ones we saw last year on the Triumph. I can't remember the names, but I'll know if I've seen it by the names you can give me.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I are booking the Liberty for our 10 year anniversary in October. We are both first time cruisers. I love a nice room with a good balcony. My travel agent said we can get a bigger balcony for $260 more or a wrap around balcony for $360 more. What is your recommendations on rooms and balconies? Any advice is so much appreciated!

thanks for the review Len. Also on that cruise and goes to show, mileage will always vary LOL.

Marsha is right, some of the live music was very good. agree about the comedy, the stage show, really all the so-called entertainment. bad and lacking to put it mildly. IDK if it was the length of cruise, or all the ports, but the sea days.. seemed everything on the ship was geared towards selling - booze, art, spa, etc. And what little they did do was poorly organized, managed.

Mixed on the service; having my name remembered is nice but I'd prefer them to remembering drinks or what I ordered, or paying closer attention to the 'cruising' signs etc. Really mixed on food; some things were good (steakhouse, some MDR fish, a few others) but even the tacos, burgers, desserts, left a lot to be desired. More than a tablecloth, I'd like food w/ flavor that's not overcooked, under seasoned that matches the menu description. I'm going out to eat every meal and very few lived up to even a casual 'restaurant' standard IME.

That typed, I really like the ship, sailed it in 2104, plenty of spaces to hang, big fan of the Alchemy Bar. though one surprise when I first started cruising that holds, the wish for larger pools. always so small and crowded, I never bother.

anyways, the Journey to the different ports was absolutely the best part, along w/ the nice relaxing 12 nights. FWIW.