Norway in Early May...reviews?

jvalentine

Hi all! Anyone done Norway in early May? I know it'll be cooler, but wanted to see if folks wouldn't mind sharing their experience with me. Thank you in advance! Jacquie

Hi, to Jacquie, our "neighbor" to the south in wonderful Nashville. While we have not done Norway in early May, I know from checking and looking at the weather averages that your odds are not as good at that time of the year. Why?

You can go to

http://www.wunderground.com

and check for the very specific weather history on many of the key towns in the world for their past temperatures in that specific area for a date in the past. Just look lower left in the page for weather history area, put in your exact dates and the year prior. You will then see what last year was like, along with recent highs and lows for that date there.

As an example for May 6, you will find this data for Bergen in the heart of this great area: a high of 48 °F last year with a low of 38 °F, with an average high on this date of 54 °F with an average low of 42 °F. During recent history, the high has been 69 °F (2006) and a low of 35 °F (1997) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

As an example for June 12, you will find this data for Bergen in the heart of this great area: a high of 55 °F last year with a low of 51 °F, with an average high on this date of 59 °F with an average low of 49°F. During recent history, the high has been 78 °F (2006) and a low of 41 °F (2005) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year in Bergen.

As an example for June 29, you will find this data for Bergen in the heart of this great area: a high of 64 °F last year with a low of 52 °F, with an average high on this date of 61 °F with an average low of 51°F. During recent history, the high has been 68 °F (2003) and a low of 44 °F (2007) on this date in Bergen. There was no rain on this date last year.

Our Captain was clear, based on the averages and his many of years of past experiences, that July tends to be the best for weather in this special area of the world. That was our fortunate experience. Need proof? See more below on the live/blog.

KEY QUESTION: How far up the Norway coast are you planning to venture? Why?

NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Let us know any added questions, info needs, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 185,575 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

We have been in early May and it was very very cold, the waterfalls were still frozen! We only had one day of rain though and blue skies.

WOW!! Appreciate this insight about waterfalls being frozen at that time of the year in Norway. Below are a few of my waterfall and other pictures to offer the contrast and proof/evidence as to why late June and July can work much better for seeing and enjoying more in Norway. Early May might be cheaper for a cruise there, but there is a reason the pricing is dropped to that lower level. Sometimes, sadly, you get what you pay for.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 119,129 views for this posting.

You go on these Norway Coast cruises for the spectacular fjords. From the journey to Flam, Gudvangen and Sognerfjord, here is one picture giving you a sampling of the skies and views for these beautiful internal coastlines of the fjords. Being up on the top of the boat can provide great view on BOTH sides as you sail up and down these various fjords.

FjordsSkyMtsDramaRevised.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

This is the dramatic overview of Alesund from the Aksla vantage point along the western coast of Norway. This spot allows a nearly 360-degree view of this setting for this island city and the surrounding mountains and islands. It is at a 597’ height overlooking the five islands making up the scenic town. The canal or waterway in the middle of the town is called "Brosundet" (or the Bridge sound). That means Ale sund (sloping sound). Or, reflecting that the sound slopes through town. This is how Alesund got its name.:

AlesundHarbor.jpg

At Flam, you can see here some of the great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below are some pictures and highlights from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordTrainWaterfall.jpg

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

Hi all!

Anyone done Norway in early May? I know it'll be cooler, but wanted to see if folks wouldn't mind sharing their experience with me.

Thank you in advance!

Jacquie

Normally the two first weeks in May are still cold. Many of the tourist roads will still be closed.

The season has not started yet so you will find many activities, shops etc not available and closed.

Most likely snow in the higher areas.

The last two weeks of May the weather can be warmer as spring has (should) be in full bloom.

Still, lots of activities and shops will still be closed as the season normally starts early/mid June.

You guys have changed my mind. I'll be switching over to the June 11-25th sailing that is 14 days. (North Cape/NCL) I had a room held just in case...thank goodness! It's more expensive and more time away from work...but it's our 10 yr anniversary. Double bonus is that this is a surprise I'll give to my husband for Christmas. (Thinking a Viking hat wrapped under the tree...) Norway has been on his bucket list for years...every time he asks about going I've always shot it down because of cost. I'll have to keep that going for a few more months. ;) He also loves to shoot photos when we travel so landscape is also another reason for switching. Being colder doesn't bother me, but a greener landscape and leaves on the trees was an important factor. The additional ports up there will hopefully give him some additional opportunities for wildlife too.

You guys have changed my mind. I'll be switching over to the June 11-25th sailing that is 14 days. (North Cape/NCL) I had a room held just in case...thank goodness! It's more expensive and more time away from work...but it's our 10 yr anniversary. Double bonus is that this is a surprise I'll give to my husband for Christmas. (Thinking a Viking hat wrapped under the tree...) Norway has been on his bucket list for years...every time he asks about going I've always shot it down because of cost. I'll have to keep that going for a few more months. He also loves to shoot photos when we travel so landscape is also another reason for switching. Being colder doesn't bother me, but a greener landscape and leaves on the trees was an important factor. The additional ports up there will hopefully give him some additional opportunities for wildlife too.

Great to hear that you've "adjusted"!! YES, you'll enjoy the better weather and timing. Norway costly?? Yes, that is true. Their labor costs and taxes are fairly high, plus with a short summer tourism season, things in Norway are going to be higher in price there. BUT, worth it!!

With your cruise starting and returning to Copenhagen, that is wonderful!! Love the charm, history, architecture and character of that town. It appears that your ports will be Geiranger/Hellsylt, Alesund, Trondheim, Leknes, Tromso, Hammerfest, Honningsvag/North Cape, Molde and Bergen. We visited all of these except Molde. Below are a few more visuals to help build up your excitement for this great trip for your husband and you. Many more on the live/blog.

For Geiranger/Hellsylt, you might consider your either a ship tour or private options for a trip that allows you to get "Up Country", to see more than just what is in and around the ports at sea level.

With 2,647 people, Leknes is the trading and shopping centre of this 70-miles long island archipelago. Its natural surroundings are regarded to be among the most stunning in Norway, with mountains, peaks, cliffs and white sandy beaches. The remote southern islands of Vaeroy and Rost are rated as world-class bird sanctuaries having nesting places for millions of seabirds along its cliffs. There are 35,000 people living on all of the islands and they are 886 miles northeast of Bergen. In November 2007, National Geographic Traveler rated the Lofoten Islands of northern Norway the third most appealing islands in the world. The Gulf Stream contributes to its seasonal fishing success. In Leknes, the sun (midnight sun) is above the horizon from May 26 to July 17 and in winter the sun does not rise from December 9 to January 4.

Let us know any added questions, info needs, etc.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 119,129 views for this posting.

Here is one view of the North Cape as we approached and the clouds started to clear and the sun broke through showing a great blue sky.:

NorthCapeFullLookGreen.jpg

In Bergen’s historic Hanseatic warehouse area, this folk music group is entertaining as people sit outside, drink beer (at $13.25 each) and enjoy the great weather day.:

BergenFolkSingers.jpg

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

Trondheim’s top and most historic attraction is their Cathedral. Nidaros Cathedral was built from 1070 and is the most important Gothic monument in Norway. The Norway King is still crowned here. This is the front of Trondheim’s Cathedral. This is Scandinavia’s largest medieval building and has a central, 321-foot-high tower.:

TrondheimCathFrontFull.jpg

Here is one of our first Lofoten Islands views from a stop early in the trip as we drove south towards “Å" along the A-10 highway fromLeknes.

LofotenEarlyValleyViewRedBldg.jpg

Next to the Videseter Hotel on our way to Geiranger when going “up country”, we saw this spectacular waterfall at this scenic high mountain elevation location. You can see how small is the hotel/dining building at the top to the right of waterfall to give an idea on the massive scale for this natural wonder. When you go beyond just the port stop village, you can better experience “ALL” that is there and around in these scenic parts of Norway.:

Fjord2WaterfallTallHotelNear.jpg

You guys have changed my mind. I'll be switching over to the June 11-25th sailing that is 14 days. (North Cape/NCL) I had a room held just in case...thank goodness! It's more expensive and more time away from work...but it's our 10 yr anniversary. Double bonus is that this is a surprise I'll give to my husband for Christmas. (Thinking a Viking hat wrapped under the tree...) Norway has been on his bucket list for years...every time he asks about going I've always shot it down because of cost. I'll have to keep that going for a few more months. ;) He also loves to shoot photos when we travel so landscape is also another reason for switching. Being colder doesn't bother me, but a greener landscape and leaves on the trees was an important factor. The additional ports up there will hopefully give him some additional opportunities for wildlife too.

Congrats on your wise choice.

If you need any help head over to my thread about Norway and the fjords in my signature.

Lots of info there and i will be happy to help you plan.[emoji4]

Edited by I-Cruiser

Sounds great! I loved Norway and want to go again but it will be later in the year next time! Have a fantastic trip :)

We will be on a Fjords cruise in early May next year and which will be calling at all the "usual" places. We understand that the weather will be cold, maybe with rain/snow too but hope that we will still be able to appreciate the wonderful scenery. If the waterfalls are not as dramatic as later in the season, then so be it.

Previous posts refer to the possibility of roads being closed due to snow. We are not planning any road excursions and will explore the ports on foot. However, we would like to go on the Flam railway. Does the train run whatever the weather and is it worth doing the journey that early in the season? Here in the UK we are used to the trains being cancelled at the first sign of a flake of snow!

We will be on a Fjords cruise in early May next year and which will be calling at all the "usual" places. We understand that the weather will be cold, maybe with rain/snow too but hope that we will still be able to appreciate the wonderful scenery. If the waterfalls are not as dramatic as later in the season, then so be it.

Previous posts refer to the possibility of roads being closed due to snow. We are not planning any road excursions and will explore the ports on foot. However, we would like to go on the Flam railway. Does the train run whatever the weather and is it worth doing the journey that early in the season? Here in the UK we are used to the trains being cancelled at the first sign of a flake of snow!

I am certain you will have a fantastic cruise with lots of lovely scenery.

The melting of the snow will have started so you will get to see the waterfalls.

Flåm railway will be running.

There will be snow in the mountains. This is for sure.

But if it snow in early May it will almost never fall lower then 600 meters above sea level.

Just remember to dress warmly.

The May weather here is not so different then the Scottish weather in May.

We went on the Flam railway in early May and there was no snow where the ship was but the further we went up on the train the more snow there was! It didn't stop the train though. We actually stood in fresh snow when we got out the train at the mid point. The waterfall was frozen though.

We went on a couple of coach excursions and there had been snow overnight but they clear it well and they have the snow tyres on the coaches. The only excursion we couldn't do was a boat one because the lake was frozen! The local people did say it was a very poor Spring! (2013)

We totally loved it though and will go back one day!

Thanks I-Cruiser and P&0Sue for your comments and reassurances. We are looking forward to our cruise.

I am glad you are looking forward to your cruise.

Here are some pictures to get you started:

Mt. Dalsnibba June 2015:2015-06-25%2016.52.15_zpsramlqb8w.jpg

Ålesund May 2015:2015-04-19%2013.50.08_zps5lmkcxs3.jpg

The Fjords April/May:norway1_zpsd4f6096a.jpg

norway3_zps275fdd34.jpg

I went in mid-May this year...flew from LAX on 5/12, and got on the MS Trollfjord on 5/16. There was about 4-5 feet of snow in Myrdal when I went through there on the train from Oslo to Bergen, but we were very lucky in having mostly sunny weather heading north from Bergen (after a very rainy 2 days in Bergen itself).

It was really fun being in Norway and on the ship for the Norwegian National Day (May 17). We had a parade on deck and many of the Norwegians had brought their native garb just to celebrate that day. We just missed the parades in Alesund, but everyone in town was still walking around and celebrating in their native dress.

We did not go into Geiranger as they do not go there until later in the season, but was able to take the first-of-the-season trip into the Trollfjord both going north and heading south. Things were just starting to green up, and by the time we headed south a week later, it was noticably more green, but still beautiful We had more rain heading south than north. Heading back to Oslo on the train, I took the Flam train from Myrdal, and it was snowing in Mrydal that whole day. It rained on about 1/2 the train trip, but still able to see lots of falls, and sunny when actually in Flam. I had rain in Oslo right up until heading home on 5/31.

I only wore my long underwear above the Arctic circle and on outdoor excursions, but was glad to have a fleece lined rain jacket and gloves any time I was out on the deck taking photos. I wore long sleeved shirts or sweaters and definitely long pants for the whole trip.

May has more snow on the mountains, though not at sea level. The waterfalls may be better or worse than June, depending on when the snow melts. Terry in Ohio points out that the average temperature at the end of June is 7 degrees higher than in early may, which is relevant; however, the difference of 16 degrees on those dates last year is not. You can't judge the best day to go out this year, based on last year's weather.

Flam trains won't be cancelled.