Eidfjord--taxis

linderbelle

I have been researching Eidfjord and see there isn't much there except for Voringfossen and Skytjefossen waterfalls and a church and farm. I have researched photos as my hobby and passion is landscape photography---are there taxis readily available as I'm thinking for us it would be best to hire a taxi and say lets go take photographs. lol. I know its a very small town--less than a thousand people.

Linda

Eidford is beautiful - very easy to walk around yourself to take photographs. You can walk yourself up to the farm and the houses (to the right of the ship's berth) or if you walk left over the town bridge, you can walk along the river or up into the higher land. There is a land train which will take you - no need to take vastly expensive private taxis. Behind the ship there will be views of the fjord and the water which provide good opportunities for photographs. It's a gorgeous place indeed, only hope the sun will be shining for you.

The farm which I think you mean is about 1and a half hours trek from the ship's berth so perhaps too far for you. The little tourist office by the berth can advise . I believe there is transport from the tourist office every hour or so, so this may be better for you. Otherwise the tourist land bus gives an excellent tour around the village, the houses, the river and part up the mountain. Recommended. You will get some beautiful photos whatever you decide as its a very scenic place.

Is this tourist land bus a private tour operator or one from the ship excursion department. If a ship is in port (and thus lots of people -- more than the town maybe:) ) does this land bus run or does it get hired up by the ship for shore excursions. I have been to many ports that was smaller and the tours were all sold to the ship and thus you needed to buy the ship excursion or do what you could do just walking around. Thank you for your advice!

When we were there it was available for anyone and it ran all day. Eidfjord is very small and very easy to get around by walking too - there are recommended walking tours and routes marked to make for easy strolling. There is a beautiful hotel to have coffee etc.

The little land train runs from just in front of the ship - all very easy. It's a lovely port of call.

Thanks for the information. I'm concerned that there won't be enough time at the various locations as I'll be the one with the tripod and different lenses etc. If you want to spend more time at one place can you wait for the next transportation or is that too long of a wait. Yep 1.5 hrs is a bit far for us to walk to.

Linda

I so appreciate your help.

Edited by linderbelle

The transport to the farm, I believe ran every hour. The land train/bus around the village and environs was a bit more frequent. If you're berthed for most of the day then you should have time for some intense photography, half a day may be problematic. If you want to travel further. The ship will berth right in the town - only a matter of a few metres. The tourist office is a couple of minutes away too. Sailing up the fjord will also offer some excellent opportunities for photography as you will have plenty of time for camerawork from deck/balcony. Hope this helps.

The land train runs round but doesn't stop. You might be able to get off somewhere and get back on next time round - if it's not full, of course - I don't know because I never tried.

There is a dead easy walk along the river to a lake, up a hill, and a walk back along the road on the top, view of mountains, fjords, farms, viking graves (aka piles of stones), the works. About 2 miles round trip. Perhaps that might fit the bill? (There's very little traffic. Not enough to disturb.)

• 2 weeks later...