12 Night Fjords & Iceland trip

cbradley1209

I posted a question about this trip on the Azamara forum before I discovered this forum. I think the question is more appropriate here.

I've booked a b2b as a surprise for my husband. The second cruise is the Azamara British Open cruise. The first cruise has this itinerary:

Day 1 Depart Copenhagen

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Geiranger

Day 4 Lerwick, Shetland Islands

Day 5 At Sea

Day 6 Akureyri, Iceland

Day 7 Reykjavik

Day 8 Reykjavik

Day 9 At Sea

Day 10 Torshavon, Faroe Islands

Day 11 At Sea

Day 12 At Sea

Day 13 Disembark Southampton

As you can see there are 5 days at sea for a 12 night cruise. On the Azamara forum it was suggested that I do the b2b with the British Open followed by the Baltic. But we will be cruising with X prior to this planned b2b.

Thoughts on this itinerary? The Azamara itinerary planner is supposedly revisiting the itinerary, but frankly, I don't have much confidence that anything will actually change (though it was kind to even say they would).

Too many sea days?

Thanks for your thoughts-chris

If you don't like sea days, then perhaps it has too many sea days. Others (like us)will think it impossible to have too many sea days. Totally personal opinion, with no right or wrong answer.

Thanks for your response.

I guess I made my post sound like I was just concerned with the sea days. But I was also wondering about the ports. A good combination of what there is to see on a fjords cruise?

Thanks again -chris

Akureyri is a small lovely town, easy to walk around. If you are into gardens, they have a very nice botanical garden I can recommend visiting. You could also go to the thermally heated public pool.

As for Reykjavik, we did a whale watching tour and a free tour by a local (payment was tips in the hat at the end). You should consider a tour outside the city that includes the Golden Triangle. All of this can be booked through local tour operators.

In my personal travel blog I have posts about our trip. Click on Iceland under the Index. For Reykjavik you'll want to scroll to the bottom of the posts since that was our first stop. I've got Akureyri and the botanical garden somewhere in the middle. Also posts about the pool.

In my personal travel blog I have posts about our trip. Click on Iceland under the Index. For Reykjavik you'll want to scroll to the bottom of the posts since that was our first stop. I've got Akureyri and the botanical garden somewhere in the middle. Also posts about the pool.

I don't know how to include multiple quotes, but thanks for both of your responses re: the ports.

Diane, I am enjoying your blog. You certainly have an outstanding travel list. But where's Africa on it? I know it's not a cruise, but a fascinating place to consider. I have spent a good bit of time there since I retired.

Thanks again - chris

But where's Africa on it? I know it's not a cruise, but a fascinating place to consider. I have spent a good bit of time there since I retired.

We did Africa when still using film. I started the blog once we went digital so I could include some of our pictures.

We did a 17 day safari that included Kenya and Tanzania. Did it custom with 4 friends and we had a fantastic trip. I agree with you ... a fascinating place.

I guess I made my post sound like I was just concerned with the sea days. But I was also wondering about the ports. A good combination of what there is to see on a fjords cruise? chris

While we have not been to Iceland, Faroe Islands or Shetland Islands, we have done a decent range of "exploring" and adventure up and down the Norway Coast. Below are a few visual sample, plus more on the live/blog below.

Your challenge or questions? What do you real like to see and do most? How much for history, nature, shopping, wildlife, culture, scenic areas, etc. Priorities for cities versus countrysides?? The fjords are amazing and, YES, "Geiranger is a beautiful port". BUT, will this plan give you enough variety and depth for the many options in and around Norway?? Here is my key question for people considering Norway . . . .

KEY NORWAY COAST CHALLENGE/QUESTION: Your major issue is whether to just focus on the lower Norway fjords, Bergen, etc. Nice and wonderful. BUT, there is the option of going up, UP farther north, above the Arctic Circle, seeing such great places as the Lofoten Islands, the North Cape, interesting cities such as Tromso and Trondheim, etc., in taking more time to go more north. Only doing the lower portion requires less time, has more sailing/ship options and costs less. That’s very good! BUT, if you can take the added time, seeing farther up this Norway coast can be very special and unique. Especially, if you really love/seek nature, great scenery, wildlife, etc. Your choice?

Reactions and added questions. Clearly one cruise cannot do it "ALL!!!" Having only one day in Geiranger could be a little limited, in my view. Bergen is a city, but it is super wonderful in terms of its charm, character, history, shopping, food, etc. See more below.

You mentioned Africa!! We are getting ready for a late January and much of February combination involving a ten-day South Africa-Mozambique sailing with added time in Cape Town, Botswana, Victoria Falls, etc. Any special tips for these areas?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 186,480 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This is the super scenic view from immediately above Geiranger that shows the Silver Cloud and Costa ships tendered. A little before this picture, we were to go to Mt. Dalsnibba as a photo stop from this 4,920-foot vantage for the snow-covered surrounding mountains, icy glaciers, crystalline lakes and Geirangerfjord far below. Here is this view, at a lower level, that provided a wonderful vista.:

FjordsFinalPortLongView.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

Right near the Hanseatic merchant warehouse area is the Bergen Fish Market with lots of options to buy food to eat on site or just watch, enjoying the “show” as people ask questions and buy the various fresh fish items.:

BergenFishMktCloseUp.jpg

At Flam, there are some great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below is just one picture/highlight from this day in the Sognerfjord that is rated as the best in all of Norway for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

<<You mentioned Africa!! We are getting ready for a late January and much of February combination involving a ten-day South Africa-Mozambique sailing with added time in Cape Town, Botswana, Victoria Falls, etc. Any special tips for these areas?>>

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I may look for a different cruise that will work with the British Open cruise that I know my husband will love. Lots to think about. It would help a bit if I wasn't doing this as a surprise and I could discuss it with my DH.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with that part of Africa. I spend my time (a lot of it over the last couple of years) in Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya. I volunteer for orphans, all kind - primates, elephants and some little people that I affectionately call "my kids." But I have done safaris and gorilla treks. I love Africa.

Your trip sounds terrific! Africa will assault all of your senses. I'll look for your review in the appropriate forum. chris

chris

Thank you for your thoughtful post. I may look for a different cruise that will work with the British Open cruise that I know my husband will love. Lots to think about. It would help a bit if I wasn't doing this as a surprise and I could discuss it with my DH. I'm sorry but I can't help you with that part of Africa. I spend my time (a lot of it over the last couple of years) in Uganda, Tanzania and Kenya. I volunteer for orphans, all kind - primates, elephants and some little people that I affectionately call "my kids." But I have done safaris and gorilla treks. I love Africa. Your trip sounds terrific! Africa will assault all of your senses. I'll look for your review in the appropriate forum. chris

Appreciate, Chris, your great work and love for Africa. It is very inspiring!! We are excited for these Africa adventures. Yes, will be doing a live/blog, etc.

Glad you are going to look at your many options for these fascinating and varied areas, including to tie-in with "The Open" as they call it in the UK.

QUESTION/TIP??: I know you want this trip to be surprise for your husband. Great idea and thought. BUT, there are many serious considerations to review and pick in figuring out what would or could work best for such a major trip. Having his involvement would probably help to make this trip work and fit best.

Classic choice? Being a super surprise . . . versus . . . having his significant input, questions and ideas for what BOTH of you most want to see and do. Think hard on your options and choices. Generally, two smart heads are better than just one brain doing it ALL!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 121,826 views for this posting.

I posted a question about this trip on the Azamara forum before I discovered this forum. I think the question is more appropriate here.

I've booked a b2b as a surprise for my husband. The second cruise is the Azamara British Open cruise. The first cruise has this itinerary:

Day 1 Depart Copenhagen

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Geiranger

Day 4 Lerwick, Shetland Islands

Day 5 At Sea

Day 6 Akureyri, Iceland

Day 7 Reykjavik

Day 8 Reykjavik

Day 9 At Sea

Day 10 Torshavon, Faroe Islands

Day 11 At Sea

Day 12 At Sea

Day 13 Disembark Southampton

As you can see there are 5 days at sea for a 12 night cruise. On the Azamara forum it was suggested that I do the b2b with the British Open followed by the Baltic. But we will be cruising with X prior to this planned b2b.

Thoughts on this itinerary? The Azamara itinerary planner is supposedly revisiting the itinerary, but frankly, I don't have much confidence that anything will actually change (though it was kind to even say they would).

Too many sea days?

Thanks for your thoughts-chris

Well, this is really a Northern Atlantic Islands cruise as it only has one Norwegian Fjord (and probably one Icelandic).

Its a good itinerary if you want to see the named islands with the "most beautiful fjord in the world" througn in.

Iceland etc is very fascinating if thats what you would like to explore.