Weather on the Rhine in Sept

ninaks

We are going on our first river cruise down the Rhine river Cruise From Basel to Amsterdam with Viking on Sept 16th. I am not sure what kind of clothing to bring. Do I need winter weight, or just a light jacket? Any shorts, or only pants? I know weather isn't predictable, but if someone could share their experiences during this time of year, I would really appreciate it. Thank you

The weather can be so unpredictable. I would suggest checking http://www.weather.com a week before you are to leave and doing a 10-day forecast for Basel, Amsterdam, and Cologne. This will give you a good idea of what it is looking like for some cities along the way. Amsterdam gets a lot of rain, so make sure you take a small umbrella. The secret is layering.

I know that when I did this trip in May / June of this year, the weather forecast was for quite a bit of rain and cooler temps. I spent more time putting things in and out of the suitcase. By the time we reached Europe, even though I was constantly checking the weather, it was much warmer than I had anticipated and we had much sunnier weather. We had a bit of rain in Koblenz and it didn't rain in Amsterdam until the day we got off the trip and headed for the Airport. By then, it didn't matter.

You will really enjoy this trip. The cities are wonderful.

I did this exact same trip on 29 July. As you may know, Europe hasn't had a brilliant summer and I was very unsure as to what to take clothes wise. This is what I packed, and it worked a treat. Our westher was cool and cloudy through to hot and sunny and humid with the odd shower, and I felt I had all I needed to cope with the weather mix.

One pair sturdy trainers, you will need these for the Marksburg castle tour, very uneven terrain. Two pairs pretty rubber soled lace up pumps, these were great for city tours, one pair flat sandals for round the boat and two pairs dressy sandals for evenings.

One waterproof light weight jacket which was never worn in the end! One small umbrella. Two cardigans and one hoodie for round the ship or stuffing in bag to take out for the day.

Seven tops, mixture of t shirts and stroppy vest tops to go with ...

Seven bottoms, mixture of shorts, linen trousers, silk trousers, play suit, casual jumpsuit and leggings

I deliberately took enough clothes to have something clean on every day in the warm weather.

Pure cotton socks to help with tired feet!

For evening I took a dressy all in one, two short light summer dresses and a slightly more dressy little cocktail dress for captains dinner, but this was personal choice. There was a mix of evening attired, just wear something you're comfy in.

Finally, I took two cotton sundresses and a bikini and yes I wore them all. The bikini with shorts in the sail down the Rhine gorge was perfect as it was warm and breezy and I got a lovely tan! The sun dresses were perfect for the evening in Rudesheim and the late sail away in cologne.

Oh, and a wide brimmed sun hat, invaluable. Great for the sunny days, but so useful to all other members of our tour grup as they could easily spot me, and follow me and the guide!

It all fitted along with underwear, toiletries etc in a hard case thst in total weighed 18kgs so no issue with luggage weight.

Hope this helps, have a fabulous cruise and do enjoy!

I sailed from Nuremberg across the Main River, then the Rhine and then the Moselle last September, mid to late. Tshirts, slacks during the day although some days capris could have been worn. A couple of mornings you needed a light jacket. Evenings got pretty cool, so much so that I had to buy a fleece onboard. Needed an umbrella on several days but the ship supplied them. Definitely take a light jacket/windbreaker and at least one hoodie type jacket.

• 5 years later...
I did this exact same trip on 29 July. As you may know, Europe hasn't had a brilliant summer and I was very unsure as to what to take clothes wise. This is what I packed, and it worked a treat. Our westher was cool and cloudy through to hot and sunny and humid with the odd shower, and I felt I had all I needed to cope with the weather mix.

One pair sturdy trainers, you will need these for the Marksburg castle tour, very uneven terrain. Two pairs pretty rubber soled lace up pumps, these were great for city tours, one pair flat sandals for round the boat and two pairs dressy sandals for evenings.

One waterproof light weight jacket which was never worn in the end! One small umbrella. Two cardigans and one hoodie for round the ship or stuffing in bag to take out for the day.

Seven tops, mixture of t shirts and stroppy vest tops to go with ...

Seven bottoms, mixture of shorts, linen trousers, silk trousers, play suit, casual jumpsuit and leggings

I deliberately took enough clothes to have something clean on every day in the warm weather.

Pure cotton socks to help with tired feet!

For evening I took a dressy all in one, two short light summer dresses and a slightly more dressy little cocktail dress for captains dinner, but this was personal choice. There was a mix of evening attired, just wear something you're comfy in.

Finally, I took two cotton sundresses and a bikini and yes I wore them all. The bikini with shorts in the sail down the Rhine gorge was perfect as it was warm and breezy and I got a lovely tan! The sun dresses were perfect for the evening in Rudesheim and the late sail away in cologne.

Oh, and a wide brimmed sun hat, invaluable. Great for the sunny days, but so useful to all other members of our tour grup as they could easily spot me, and follow me and the guide!

It all fitted along with underwear, toiletries etc in a hard case thst in total weighed 18kgs so no issue with luggage weight.

Hope this helps, have a fabulous cruise and do enjoy!

We will start on the Rhine and move down to Paris and Rome and the Mediterranean (North, West). 34 days in a small carry on suitcase. I think I will wash every day. Thank you