Norway and the Cape and north

Starting to research doing a cruise up the norway coast to to the north cape and beyond... From any of you who have done that part of the world did you like earily like April or May or Late July- August September ? I like the snow scapes that earily would present, however thep possibility of an aurora in September is also interesting

That said what ports were the most striking in natural beauty to you... What were the ho-hum ports that were nice but you could live without

I don't want to do the ferrys that hit 3-5 ports a day. Currently Holland, Princess and Oceaina offer attractive trips... Any opinions on them?

I want a small under 1000 and all 3 lines do that.

You sagely advice is most welcome.... I know zip about the region ..

In 1975 we did Bergen-North Cape on the old Bergen Lines -- basically the mail boat with passenger cabins. Then we did Oceania's cruise in 2010. Both trips were in July/August which I recommend -- we wanted the "it's day time all day" time of the year.

Frankly, we found even the small ports very interesting. One of our favorite stops on the 1975 trip was Trondheim, but Oceania's itinerary did not include it.

If you firm up an itinerary I'd be happy to give more detail about any ports we did on either of these trips.

I should say that I haven't talked to anyone who enjoyed Murmansk, which was on our Oceania itinerary.

Mura

I should say that I haven't talked to anyone who enjoyed Murmansk, which was on our Oceania itinerary.

Mura

You did not ask me:(

We did enjoy the tour we took there the one with the pancakes of course

we did not enjoy the delayed debarkation ;)

Lyn

We did the Oceania cruise last August. I agree that even the small ports are very interesting. There has been a big change in this year's itinerary from last year. The cruise no longer goes to Longyearbyen, Magdalena Bay and north in search of polar ice. Fuel restrictions similar to those for Antarctica are now in effect for Magdalena Bay. Too bad because that was a beautiful part of the cruise.

I agree with the comment on Murmansk. Depressing city, although the tour of the nuclear icebreaker was interesting.

Of course, being there in August, we didn't see the Aurora, but the midnight sun was cool, and wierd!

Betty

You did not ask me:(

We did enjoy the tour we took there the one with the pancakes of course

we did not enjoy the delayed debarkation ;)

Lyn

No, Lyn, you're right: I did NOT ask you! But I thought I'd remembered from comments here that you were in agreement. Obviously I misremembered.

I should say that I didn't hate it ... I let Howard pick the tour and I think he guessed wrong. We had an excellent guide who was a college student and spoke excellent English, but the main museum we visited was pretty third world. Many of us that I did talk to suspected the main reason for the visit was to load up on gas! But that could have been equally wrong ...

That was the only port I didn't care for; many of our ports were repeats for us from the 1975 Bergen Lines cruise.

We loved Spitzbergen ...

Mura

I was on the Nautica last August and agree that the small ports were wonderful! I also thought Svalbard and Magdelana Bay/glacier were spectacular and I was so glad we got to visit when I heard that was the last time for O. The midnight sun was fabulous-it was the first cruise we had to use the blackout curtains on the veranda!

I stayed on the ship in Murmansk but heard most folks did not think much of that port.

Charlotte

Spitsbergen deserves a small ship (100 passengers) capable of daily zodiac landings. Have been there twice with Oceanwide Expeditions to see polar bears and walrus within 100 feet. Can't imagine doing Spitsbergen in a large vessel.

Duly noted, but we did it on Insignia (or was it Regatta?) -- my computer deleted my entire record of that cruise, so I go by memory ... and as I recall we docked. We definitely did NOT tender.

The "R" ships are only 684 passengers so docking there should not have been a problem. At least, it wasn't then.

The problem WE had was that the tour guide who'd been booked never showed up. So we took the ship's shuttle into town and did what we wanted to do. In our case, it was the museum. Others made their way out of town and enjoyed their time very much.

Mura

No, Lyn, you're right: I did NOT ask you! But I thought I'd remembered from comments here that you were in agreement. Obviously I misremembered.

I should say that I didn't hate it ... I let Howard pick the tour and I think he guessed wrong. We had an excellent guide who was a college student and spoke excellent English, but the main museum we visited was pretty third world. Many of us that I did talk to suspected the main reason for the visit was to load up on gas! But that could have been equally wrong ...

Mura

Friends took the aquarium tour & were not impressed but then you have to consider there was not a lot of tourism there like SPB has

It was more of a naval city than anything

Yes our guide also spoke excellent English very young & wore her spiked high heels which everyone commented on

She told us it was the fashion there, for us it was more like the '70's fashion ;)

Duly noted, but we did it on Insignia (or was it Regatta?) -- my computer deleted my entire record of that cruise, so I go by memory ... and as I recall we docked. We definitely did NOT tender.

The "R" ships are only 684 passengers so docking there should not have been a problem. At least, it wasn't then.

The problem WE had was that the tour guide who'd been booked never showed up. So we took the ship's shuttle into town and did what we wanted to do. In our case, it was the museum. Others made their way out of town and enjoyed their time very much.

Mura

You are correct it was the Insignia

we did enjoy the museum also very well put together & a wander about the town

We also tried the waffles in one of the little restaurants ...of course ;)

We had an enjoyable day in spite of the missing guide ;)

Starting to research doing a cruise up the norway coast to to the north cape and beyond... I don't want to do the ferrys that hit 3-5 ports a day. Currently Holland, Princess and Oceaina offer attractive trips...

You missed Azamara, which does this itinerary once a year: July 18-August 1, 2015 (Quest); August 11–26, 2016 (Quest); June 23-July 7, 2016 (Journey). Both R-ships, so you know what to expect.

You missed Azamara, which does this itinerary once a year: July 18-August 1, 2015 (Quest); August 11–26, 2016 (Quest); June 23-July 7, 2016 (Journey). Both R-ships, so you know what to expect.

Provided that they have not chartered their ships elsewhere and cancelled these proposed voyages. An ongoing issue with Azamara, lately.

It should be noted that two long term Az executives, both intimately concerned with their charter and ship deployment policies, have recently chosen to leave the firm and taken comparable positions with Crystal Cruises.

Do you suppose that this will lead to more cancellations, or fewer?

They do not go beyond the North Cape as the OP was looking for

Provided that they have not chartered their ships elsewhere and cancelled these proposed voyages. An ongoing issue with Azamara, lately.

It should be noted that two long term Az executives, both intimately concerned with their charter and ship deployment policies, have recently chosen to leave the firm and taken comparable positions with Crystal Cruises.

Do you suppose that this will lead to more cancellations, or fewer?

Wouldn't this make you worry that Crystal will now increase the charters for its two (same number) of ships?

Wouldn't this make you worry that Crystal will now increase the charters for its two (same number) of ships?

Nope. I figure they left to go somewhere the ships are not chartered, and where they're adequately maintained.

Starting to research doing a cruise up the norway coast to to the north cape and beyond... From any of you who have done that part of the world did you like earily like April or May or Late July- August September ?

I would not do this in April or May, too early in the year, spring storms likely.

You might consider a Silversea expedition. They do several every summer on the Silver Explorer. The food is good and inclusive and the excursions should be phenomenal. We leave for ours on 1 August.

Also take a look at Lindblad - the National Geographic Explorer does annual Polar trips - 148 passengers - most landings by zodiak which access a variety of extraordinary sites. Yes, it is not inexpensive, the food doesn't meet O standards, it is a bit physically taxing, NG photographers are on board along with a variety of outstanding resources for learning about the area.

Thanks to you all for suggesting and voicing your opinions. The are most valuable to me From this input I am going to find a trip that hits

SPITZENBERG, TRONDENHEIM, SVALBARD, LONGYEARBYEN, and to do so in june or late august Thanks too for the candor on Murmask... I am not too keen on visiting Russia, had a taste in 1979 with a diplomatic visa...( The Russians were so kind...they even assigned 2 KGB agents to follow me along so I would not have any problems......but that's another story)

It appears that Holland is still doing a 21-28 day trip that hits them in 2016..... as a Solo traveler, that too would be a more economic too.

Thanks for the suggestion....Silverseas and Linbad are both great.... however the fares are like 200-300% more than others.....I will check Azamar thanks Jazz.

There comes a time when one has to be practical and I don't want to dump so much that it impinges my future travel. For as Frost said " I have promises to keep, ( goals and dreams for myself), and miles to go before I sleep."

So again thanks Jim,Stan, Don, Mura,LHT and everyone.... I appreciate your help

Starting to research doing a cruise up the norway coast to to the north cape and beyond... From any of you who have done that part of the world did you like earily like April or May or Late July- August September ? I like the snow scapes that earily would present, however thep possibility of an aurora in September is also interesting

That said what ports were the most striking in natural beauty to you... What were the ho-hum ports that were nice but you could live without

I don't want to do the ferrys that hit 3-5 ports a day. Currently Holland, Princess and Oceaina offer attractive trips... Any opinions on them?

I want a small under 1000 and all 3 lines do that.

You sagely advice is most welcome.... I know zip about the region ..

We did this itinerary two years ago (Oceania Nautica...or was it Insignia). We went the early half of July.

Murmansk was rather pitiful, but then it is in Russia and it was raining.

Bergen was a delight, the weather was glorious, it was a Saturday, and the joint was jumping.

Loved Oslo--so picturesque--and the Viking Ship Museum.

Wonderful museum in Svalbard, which is rather barren but it's something like 81°N...being that "high" (up) was pretty cool. And pretty cold.

Geirangerfjord was lovely, we did the Viking Boat Tour, had a lot of fun on that. Saw it twice actually, second time the captain did a 360 in the fjord.

It's a great itinerary. We also got to go to Belfast and the Antrim Coast (google Giant's Causeway).

Edited by indigosails

This is one of the greatest cruise itineraries. Don't miss it. We did it on Silversea in July and were awed by the midnight sun and the weather in general. All the ports were interesting and there are too many for a single cruise. Be aware that the weather is fickle; over 50% of the time cruisers do not get to see the North Cape due to fog. Bergen is the rainiest city in the world so be ready.

Princess is presently the best, only show to see BOTH the Nnorth Cape and Spitzenberg.....PacificPrincess theclone of theRegatta... a good compromise.. and they overnight in Edinburgh for the Tatoo..... gravy.

Used to rain....no problem

Thanks all This cruise cherry picks the jewels that would require 2 or more cruises to see....

Have you checked out Hurtigruten? I'm not advocating ... we haven't sailed on them. It?

But Hurtigruten seems to be the successor to the Bergen Lines that we used in 1975, but now it has "modern" ships. I don't know their itineraries other than that we ran into them in ports (not literally!) when we did our Oceania cruise in 2010. (I don't know if they go further north ... on our O cruise we did get up to the edge of the arctic shore which I gather Oceania is no longer doing.)

I always enjoy receiving their emails because it gives me a chance to imitate a Scandinavian accent. (Well, my mother's family came from Norway so I have somewhat of a justification.)

Not to complicate the issue ... well, not deliberately!

Mura

I wouldn't bother going on a cruise ship just to say you went to Longyearbyen and Svalbard (Spitsbergen). Svalbard is all about wildlife. Polar bears, walrus, whales, seals, etc. Suggestions of National Geographic, Oceanwide Expeditions, and Quark are the way to see Svalbard. Doesn't make sense to travel that far from northern Norway just to see wildlife from 1000+feet or Longyearbyen which has little to offer. If you want a cruise ship just do the fiords of Norway.