Berlin: NY Times In-Depth Profile, Video, etc.!

TLCOhio

Coming Sunday from the New York Times travel section, they have this headline: "36 Hours in Berlin" with these highlights: "There are few cities in the world that transform themselves as profoundly from season to season as Berlin. The purgatorial winter, with its lightless days and frigid nights, gives way to four months of balmy intoxication. Cafe and gallery culture spills out into graffitied alleyways; the parks fill with techno D.J.s and young people arrive by the planeload from Brooklyn, Copenhagen and East London to take part in an open-air night-life scene that is equal parts 'Paris Is Burning' and 'A Midsummer Night’s Dream.' "

There is a nearly six and a half minute video available from this article website. Plus many pictures, mapping, etc. Lots of dining, drinking, cultural and shopping options are outlined and detailed. We have been to twenty-two different countries in Europe, but Berlin is still on our priority to-do list. This profiles makes things seem definitely worth it for a visit and to sample its attractive offerings.

One example is: "Come summer, Berlin’s 122 miles of inner-city waterways turn into a thoroughfare thronged with kayaks, tourist vessels and the occasional party raft. A one-hour boat tour starting and ending at the Hauptbahnhof pier allows you to take in the city’s historic center while relaxing with brezel and bier. You’ll pass the Reichstag, Germany’s Norman Foster-redesigned house of Parliament, once burned down as part of Hitler’s government takeover and later bombed by the Allies."

From those experienced from visiting Berlin, is it definitely worth the time to visit here?

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/travel/what-to-do-in-36-hours-in-berlin.html?action=click&contentCollection=travel&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 183,322 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From those experienced from visiting Berlin, is it definitely worth the time to visit here?

I read the article last night after learning about it on Trip Advisor in the Berlin section. I am planning a trip to Berlin after our Baltics cruise next month. I'll let you know if it's worth the time after the visit!

Carrie

BTW, I have really enjoyed your posts and pictures about the Baltic area as I was planning this trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again Terry for another helpful post! We decided to fly to Berlin instead of Amsterdam so as to avoid the hefty AA ff fee for flying through London prior to our British Isles cruise next year. We also plan to head to Prague between Berlin & Amsterdam- we have a week from landing in Berlin to sailing from Amsterdam.

Seeking insights, thanks!

BTW, I have really enjoyed your posts and pictures about the Baltic area as I was planning this trip.

TMLAalum: How many days? Thanks again Terry for another helpful post! We decided to fly to Berlin instead of Amsterdam so as to avoid the hefty AA ff fee for flying through London prior to our British Isles cruise next year. We also plan to head to Prague between Berlin & Amsterdam- we have a week from landing in Berlin to sailing from Amsterdam.

Appreciate from Carrie and our northern Ohio "neighbor" the nice comments and mentions. YES' date=' avoiding the high taxes/fees at Heathrow is smart. [b']Enjoying Prague is wonderful.[/b] Below are a few of my visuals from there to help in building the excitement for doing that excellent plan/option.

Two or three days can work well in Prague! Was that your question?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 119,129 views for this posting.

Here is a sampling of sights in wonderful Prague, include a view of its historic church from a statue next to the river below; the town’s historic square, the unique Prague clock town, the headstones in the Jewish Cemetery and a river view of the Charles Bridge with the church above. It's wonderful. Great history and architecture, charm and character, etc. Fortunately, the interesting buildings were not damaged during the pre-World War II period, nor at the end of that war. Prague was beyond the range of Allied bombers. Then, since they didn't have lots of bombed out sites, the Communists didn't build their ugly concrete structures of the 1950's and 1960's in the heart of its historic areas. These factors makes Prague so special and unique. :

PragueStatueVsChurchBridge.jpg

PragueHistoricSquare.jpg

PragueClockTower.jpg

PragueJewishCemetery.jpg

PragueBridgeRiverChurch.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio