Hurtigruten is getting a fresh upgrade....

I-Cruiser

Hutigruten announced earlier this week that all its 11 ships will getting refurbished beginning January 11 2016.

The refurbishment of each ship is scheduled to take 22 days.

The first four ship to get refurbished are: MS «Polarlys», MS «Nordkapp», MS «NordNorge» and MS «Kong Harald».

The new look will be very Nordic with a fresh light inspired interior.

The materials used will be wood, leather and stone.

Buffet/Restaurant area:

hurtigutennew2_zpsjw75hi80.jpg

Restaurant/Cafe:

hurtigruten%20new_zpshkbbsyb9.jpg

Lobby area:

hurtigrutennew1_zpseaqah646.jpg

Cabin:

hurtigrutennew3_zpso0okj1lj.jpg

Also the food on offer will be changed to more local produce.

Hurtigruten has made arrangements with 30 local producers along the coast for delivery for fresh produce.

They also will offer more baked goods in their cafes/restaurants.

Hurtigruten has a goal to become the world leader in nature expeditions in the Polar regions with its new ship MS Spitzbergen......

One thing for sure. The Hurtigruten sure needs this fresh upgrade to its tired decor.

I am very much looking forward to seeing the "new" ships.

Hutigruten announced earlier this week that all its 11 ships will getting refurbished beginning January 11 2016. The refurbishment of each ship is scheduled to take 22 days. The new look will be very Nordic with a fresh light inspired interior. The materials used will be wood, leather and stone. Hurtigruten has a goal to become the world leader in nature expeditions in the Polar regions with its new ship MS Spitzbergen...... One thing for sure. The Hurtigruten sure needs this fresh upgrade to its tired decor. I am very much looking forward to seeing the "new" ships.

Yes, those pictures look very nice. It also seems that Hurtigruten is smart in seeking a different strategy for the future. The "nature" angle could work well, but they are up against some serious competitors who can deploy their ships around in a larger portion of the world where the weather options are better for a long period of time. Interesting plan and effort that merits watch to see how these ideas work out for the future.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 185,575 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

This looks great, but also fear that the charming puffin design of the carpet in my cabin may be a thing of the past. I hope they keep some of the uniquely Norwegian art and design on the ships with all this redecorating. I found the baked goods on my trip exceptional already, so will be exciting to see what they add, and we also had a large amount of local foods (seafood, berries, cheese, reindeer, etc. especially).

Edited by Splinter