Trying to find the perfect Norway cruise

linderbelle

I have booked so many cruises and cancelled and jumped around like a yoyo and literally have held my head trying to find the perfect cruise. I know why I haven't been happy. They haven't included the Lofoten Islands and also not Kristiansund to see the Atlantic Road. I'm into landscape photography. Yes, I'd love a storm to be going through the day I would be in Kristiansund but it might be a gorgeous sunny day. Either way I want to see it. I also wanted more than a freighter atmosphere and knew Hurtigruten wasn't for us. So I thought well I'm satisfied having Holland America booked and will miss Lofoten and Kristiansund. Well, last night I was searching and I found one. Its called Swan Hellenic and the Minerva I believe. Its a little pricy for our blood but the price does include excursions which not sure I like as I might not want to do their excursions. Has anybody sailed with them before and what did you think and are you given choices on the excursions. We'd have to forego the balcony with them but the itinerary is absolutely perfect. The itinerary is:

• PORTSMOUTH
  • CRUISE ON MINERVA
  • BERGEN
  • FLAM
  • MALOY
  • GEIRANGER
  • KRISTIANSUND
  • CRUISE ON MINERVA
  • SVOLVAER (LOFOTEN ISLANDS)
  • TROMSO
  • HAMMERFEST
  • HONNINGSVAAG
  • Kirkenes

Would love to hear reviews.

Thanks.

Linda

Edited by linderbelle

Well, last night I was searching and I found one. Its called Swan Hellenic and the Minerva I believe. Its a little pricy for our blood but the price does include excursions which not sure I like as I might not want to do their excursions. Has anybody sailed with them before and what did you think and are you given choices on the excursions.
Swan Hellenic is very different from mainstream cruise lines, and I believe is primarily UK-focused. So I wouldn't be surprised if you get relatively little first-hand experience recounted here. It concentrates on in-depth "discovery", and I get the impression that its clientele are pretty sophisticated and really want to hear the lectures from Cambridge University professors (and the like), with relatively few people asking what the must-buy souvenirs are in particular ports. The regulars are certainly devoted to the line, because it was demand from them that spurred the current owners into buying the brand and resurrecting the operation after Carnival Group had shut it down.

As a disclaimer, I've never sailed on it. But I do know someone whose wife has regularly lectured on board (although she's now given it up). And both of them really are as scarily eminent and expert as the line's marketing material suggests that its lecturers are. It's serious stuff, and one day we will try to gather up enough courage to do one.

I have booked so many cruises and cancelled and jumped around like a yoyo and literally have held my head trying to find the perfect cruise. I know why I haven't been happy. They haven't included the Lofoten Islands and also not Kristiansund to see the Atlantic Road. I'm into landscape photography. Yes, I'd love a storm to be going through the day I would be in Kristiansund but it might be a gorgeous sunny day. Either way I want to see it. I also wanted more than a freighter atmosphere and knew Hurtigruten wasn't for us. So I thought well I'm satisfied having Holland America booked and will miss Lofoten and Kristiansund. Well, last night I was searching and I found one. Its called Swan Hellenic and the Minerva I believe. Its a little pricy for our blood but the price does include excursions which not sure I like as I might not want to do their excursions. Has anybody sailed with them before and what did you think and are you given choices on the excursions. We'd have to forego the balcony with them but the itinerary is absolutely perfect. The itinerary is:

• PORTSMOUTH
  • CRUISE ON MINERVA
  • BERGEN
  • FLAM
  • MALOY
  • GEIRANGER
  • KRISTIANSUND
  • CRUISE ON MINERVA
  • SVOLVAER (LOFOTEN ISLANDS)
  • TROMSO
  • HAMMERFEST
  • HONNINGSVAAG
  • Kirkenes

Would love to hear reviews. Thanks. Linda

Hi, Linda! Good name. That's my sister's name. Glad you are booked and you have a nice collection/selection of varied ports. As detailed on my live/blog, we visited seven of these ports and there is much to enjoy and see in these varied areas.

While I have not traveled with Swan Hellenic, I did read more on their history and cruising focus. It's a small ship with just 350 passengers. Even without a balcony, it should make it easy and fairly quick to move around, get up on the top deck, etc. In the fjords, it is nice to have the flexibility to be able to see the "action" on both sides of the ship, from the back of the ship, etc.

Below are a few samples of my "eye-candy" for some of the potentials to samples in these scenic areas. Let us know any added questions, info needs, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 185,623 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

As we departed Svolvaer in the Lofoten Islands of Norway on a perfect, sunny day, these are two of the green, tree-covered mountains rising up from the sea that we saw with the small out-islands in the foreground.:

LofotenSlovDeparting.jpg

Taking the cable car up to the top of Mt. Storsteinen at 1,260 feet provides great views of the town of Tromso, nearby islands, mountains and water. With our mid-day weather so sunny, it really helped enjoy this city in such a great setting. The Arctic Cathedral is shown bottom right in this picture.:

TromsoOverallCityView.jpg

Here’s a close look at these historic Bergen Hanseatic merchant warehouse building fronts, people taking pictures, etc. Super loved the charm, character, history and beauty in Bergen.:

BergenCloseHistBldgPixs.jpg

After being tendered from Geiranger, we sailed out and passed by two super famous waterfalls. YES, yes, we saw lots and lots of waterfalls on this trip, but these two were among the “best of the best”. First is the “Seven Sisters”. Directly opposite in this narrow fjord, it is called several names, including “The Suitor”. The majesty for these feats of nature is pretty amazing.:

FjordWaterfallSevenSisters-1.jpg

At Flam, you can see here some of the great fjord, dramatic mountains, waterfalls, etc. Below is one examples for these views and doing a spectacular train ride up the mountain, seeing the valleys, waterfalls, etc.:

FjordsTrainViews2.jpg

Here is one view of the North Cape as we approached and the clouds started to clear and the sun broke through showing a great blue sky.:

NorthCapeFullLookGreen.jpg

Swan Hellenic is very different from mainstream cruise lines, and I believe is primarily UK-focused. I get the impression that its clientele are pretty sophisticated and really want to hear the lectures from Cambridge University professors (and the like), with relatively few people asking what the must-buy souvenirs are in particular ports. The regulars are certainly devoted to the line, because it was demand from them that spurred the current owners into buying the brand and resurrecting the operation after Carnival Group had shut it down. As a disclaimer, I've never sailed on it. But I do know someone whose wife has regularly lectured on board (although she's now given it up). And both of them really are as scarily eminent and expert as the line's marketing material suggests that its lecturers are. It's serious stuff, and one day we will try to gather up enough courage to do one.

As always, excellent points and questions from London's Globaliser. For Linda, tell us more for what type of "experience" are you seeking to do and enjoy??? What has been your background for travel in Europe? How much for history, culture, nature, wildlife, hiking, history, etc., etc.?? What is your age range?

The good news from our experience on a small upscale ship over a longer cruise period is that it gives folks a chance to meet and connect with good depth a nice range of people. For some, that can be very enjoyable. Others might be seeking something different. What are your top goals, style and objectives??

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 119,306 views for this posting.

Yes I have read about the "sophistication" and a little more upscale than I would normally like. I'm after the itinerary and seeing scenery plus some local stuff while in ports. TLC I'm into landscape photography like you are and have read the Lofoten Islands are breathtaking and have of course seen the Atlantic Road photos. I will be the one on the ship with my camera on a tripod snapping away. Husband and I are both 63. I have been Europe once before on a 30 day tour of 8 countries.

I just heard from travel agent who has advised that this cruise line your deposit is lost so I have to make sure before reserving.

Linda

Globaliser this cruise leaves from Portsmouth which I see is about 80 miles from London. In order to fly at a reasonable amount what would you suggest. If we do book this cruise we would also leave Kirkenes and then fly to Oslo and spend a couple days.

Linda

Yes I have read about the "sophistication" and a little more upscale than I would normally like. I'm after the itinerary and seeing scenery plus some local stuff while in ports. TLC I'm into landscape photography like you are and have read the Lofoten Islands are breathtaking and have of course seen the Atlantic Road photos. I will be the one on the ship with my camera on a tripod snapping away. Husband and I are both 63. I have been Europe once before on a 30 day tour of 8 countries. I just heard from travel agent who has advised that this cruise line your deposit is lost so I have to make sure before reserving. Linda

Appreciate, Linda, this added background on your interests and past Europe travels. Yes, landscape photography can be wonderful!! I would, however, play a little bit as a "devil's advocate" about whether a tripod will be worth it. Several times, I have taken a tripod, but never used it. For me, being flexible in getting different shots and angles is the priority and secret of "success". At times, for me, fiddling with a tripod can slow and/or obstruct the "process".

Sorry that this cruise line does not have more flexibility on their deposit. For me, I would want to make sure there is plenty of flexility to get off of the ship, see things "up country" and in the natural settings, etc. Two of our best days, as examples, were getting a rental car (arranged ahead) and doing independent exploring that allowed plenty of opportunities to stop when we wanted, see and do more, etc., etc. PLUS, get many, many fun pictures, as shown below. Not sure how things will work for your off-ship tours, etc., with this specific cruise line. I would do more checking on that "detail"!!

Reactions and added thoughts/questions?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 185,623 views.

After getting our rental car in Honningvag, the store clerk mentioned in passing a warning of “Watch out of the reindeer.” Just casually saying it. Sure. Maybe, we’ll see some in the distance. Two or three, maybe!? On the way to Gjesvaer near the North Cape, here was a small part of the large herd of reindeer we discovered on the way to our boat charter. They believed that all of this territory, including the road, belong to them. The young baby reindeer were especially cute!:

BirdRockReindeerOnRoad.jpg

Going down into Gjesvaer, near the North Cape, here was a harbor scene/mountain scene. At the bottom right are some of the wooden fish drying racks. Second is a picture more from water level up to the mountains hanging over the water, a boat in the harbor, birds in the sky, etc.:

NorthCapeTownMtnHarbor.jpg

NorCapeHarborBoatBirdMtn.jpg

Here is one of our first Lofoten Islands views from a stop early in the trip as we drove south towards “Å" along the A-10 highway from Leknes.

LofotenEarlyValleyViewRedBldg.jpg

When we went to the end of the road in the Lofoten Islands to the charming village called “Å”, here is a closer picture of one of its charming wooden buildings from this fishing town. You can see the busy and noisy birds in action.:

LofotenIsBirdsFlyingRedBldg_zps7f9f4236.jpg

Here are some of the many wooden racks for fish drying on these islands that we checked out during our drive south in the Lofoten Islands.:

LofotenFishDrying.jpg

ok--let me ask this --- giving up the lofoten islands is that so bad? I could probably swing flying into Kristiansund for the day but Lofoten Islands would definitely be out if we stay with Holland America 7/17 sailing on the Koningsdad. Linda

Since I have not been to Kristiansund, it is hard for me to answer your specific question. Starting at the beginning, you asked "Trying to find the perfect Norway cruise". But, however, there is no one, "perfect" cruise. There are always going to be trade-offs and various factors/details to consider. This includes for the ports visited, the ship, its pricing, the passenger mix, etc.

Also, there is the factor/question of timing. When are you planning this cruise? That can be very important.

For us, the Lofotens were wonderful. Super, in fact!! Before doing our Norway coast cruise, I had a chance to talk with the former U.S. Ambassador to Norway. He is from Ohio and mutual friend was able to connect me to him and his expertise. He gave me great background on the Lofotens and how wonderful it is. Many of the "elites" in Oslo and other large cities doing their "summering" in the Lototens because of its amazing beauty and unique environment. It was all true!! Our cruise, fortunately, had two different stops in the Lofotens.

Keep sharing more, asking the right questions and researching. BUT, don't wait for that un-reachable goal of "perfect".

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 28,564 views for these postings.

good point on the perfect and what you're willing to give up I guess. It seems funny that not many cruises even go to the Lofoten Islands. Linda Thanks for your help.

Interesting angle/perspective/question on "what you're willing to give up". I would focus on the positives for what you are going to be getting and enjoying. Here are some added variables and factors to consider. Port/city where starting and/or ending your cruise. Our Norway coast cruise started and ended in Copenhagen. Super wonderful city with such great charm and character. BUT, Copenhagen is not always as easy and quick, from some American locations, to reach via airline flights. Before doing our Baltics/Russia cruise that started in Dover/UK, we had added pre-cruise time in the delightful and historic Kent area south of London. Some of the cruise go out of Amsterdam. That's another delightful city option to figure into your mix of various factors to consider.

When are you planning this Norway cruise?

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 203,985 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I work for a medical college so June-August 2016. Holland America is sailing out of Amsterdam and we have been there but as I love photography there is always something new and we were only there one day before. I'm really tending to go with the itinerary below as it really is a great itinerary. If I don't see the Lofoten Islands or the arctic highway I will always wonder and I truly doubt we will ever go back.

Linda

Edited by linderbelle

Globaliser this cruise leaves from Portsmouth which I see is about 80 miles from London. In order to fly at a reasonable amount what would you suggest.
Portsmouth is as easy to get to as Southampton, so this would be no different from flying to London to get to any mainstream cruise.

I work for a medical college so June-August 2016. Holland America is sailing out of Amsterdam and we have been there but as I love photography there is always something new and we were only there one day before. I'm really tending to go with the itinerary below as it really is a great itinerary. If I don't see the Lofoten Islands or the arctic highway I will always wonder and I truly doubt we will ever go back. Linda

Great time period to be targeting for your Norway adventure. YES, itinerary is super important. That's our view, too! I am sure you're going to work it out well. The best part is that you are working to go all of the way up and down that scenic coastline. Let us know any added questions.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 185,731 views.