any recommendations for shore trips Norway?

hillswoodend

I have been so impressed with all the help and advice I have had on this thread so a big thanks to all who have commented ...but now I can share some useful information with you ( I hope) I recently contacted the tourist office in Molde and here is their very useful reply .....

Here in Molde we have as you mentioned the Romsdal Museum that you can visit, their season is not starting before in June, so they are not open at this time of year, but the Museumpark is open, if you want to take a stroll through the park and see the houses from the outside. The Romsdal Museum was established in 1912 and is a folk museum portraying buildings and interesting interiors from the whole region. The town street “Bygata” shows typical Molde town houses from the pre- war period.

Other walks in the city you can visit the Chateau. This is a preserved villa and garden from 1918 renovated to its original splendour. This lies on the way up to the Romsdal Museum so you can take it as a city walk J

In our main street, Storgata, we have many shops and cafes that you can visit for something good to eat or hot to drink in the winter cold J

It is also located one shopping center here, but most of the local and special shops you will find outside in Storgata.

We also have a aqua park located in Centrum with a small spa center.

Some other things you can do if you want to see more of our beautiful area is for example to visit the Atlantic Road. It drives regular buses from the bus terminal to the Atlantic Road every day,

The Atlantic Road was opend in 1989 and later voted Construction of the Century in 2005 by the Norwegian public. Whether in the calm of the blazing sun or during a dramatic storm, the Atlantic Road provides for a unique experience. The stretch with the bridges are around 9 km long.

The bus schedule for this route while your ship is in town is:

From Molde: 10.00 and 13.15,

Return from the Atlantic Road: 12.05 and 14.35.

It will take around 1 hour each way, and then you can choose how long you want to stay there.

That means that if you for example take the bus that drives from Molde at 10.00, you will be arriving the Atlantic Road at 11.05. Next return is then at 12.05. So that means that you will around one hour there.

If you choose to take the bus that drives 13.15 from Molde you will be arriving the Atlantic Road at 14.20. Return from the Atlantic Road at 14.35( so in this case you will only be there for around 15 minutes before you will be picked up again) and then you will be in Molde again at 15.40.

We may consider catching the local bus along the Atlantic road at 10.00. if anyone wishes to join us please get in touch onboard . leave a message for hillswoodend at reception.

For those of us in Portsmouth the day before sailing (08 Feb) there is a concert on at the Royal Marines Museum 'A night at the museum' . I've also bought an annual pass to the Historic Dockyard because it worked out more economic than buying individual tickets to each attraction (but we're in Portsmouth twice this year).

Hey Gailsail (?) hope we can meet up on the cruiseif not when you get to Discovery could you say hello to Andy for us he was on Marco Polo when we cruised with C&M to Norway in the summer. He should remember Su and martin the unmarried (still) married coiuple on Mr & Mrs.:D

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello Wimmy,

Are you still on the forum? We are interested in driving the Atlantic Highway. Would you suggest a private guide or car rental? And, if we do rent a car, what else should we not miss?

Thank you,

jwb5555