Checking in

We are going on out first Fred cruise on Braemar 9 August, and wondered what the checking in procedure is at Dover. We will be arriving by train and then a taxi to the port.

Do we queue to be processed before going aboard.

Is it a cash free ship.

Do we register a debit card for all purchases on board.

Do we leave the luggage at registration to be taken to the cabin.

We have received luggage labels with our cabin number, but no tickets yet.

Anything else we should know.

Looking forward to this cruise so much. Plan to find cabin and get luggage sorted, find food and a drink, then go to the top and work my way down exploring deck by deck.

Gill.

We are going on out first Fred cruise on Braemar 9 August, and wondered what the checking in procedure is at Dover. We will be arriving by train and then a taxi to the port.

Is it a cash free ship.

Looking forward to this cruise so much. Plan to find cabin and get luggage sorted, find food and a drink, then go to the top and work my way down exploring deck by deck.

Gill.

Cannot answer your questions, but I too am interested in the answers. 😄

Is it a cash free ship.

Gill.

Gill,

We too are on Braemer 9th August. We have received our tickets and check in is between 13:00 and 17:00. The last time we went from Dover we were issued a ticket and then boarded when our number was called. It is a cash free ship and you do register a debit card but you can pay by cash at the end of the cruise if you wish. Luggage is left outside the terminal and is then transported to your cabin. We received our tickets by email last Monday. Fred does not provide lunch so if you are on late sitting it is advisable to find somewhere for lunch prior to boarding.

Carl

Thank you for the info. We will get some bagettes to take on board as we arrive at the station around 2pm and don't know what time we will have our evening meal yet.

I presume that when you get your tickets at the port there is somewhere to sit till called. We haven't had any e-mails from Fred with tickets and are going to be away for a few days but I will email them to check if all is ok.

Just need to make a start on the packing list as we haven't got long to do it when we get back from our caravan break. Trying to make sure all the "official" stuff is in place

Thank you for the info. We will get some bagettes to take on board as we arrive at the station around 2pm and don't know what time we will have our evening meal yet.

I presume that when you get your tickets at the port there is somewhere to sit till called. We haven't had any e-mails from Fred with tickets and are going to be away for a few days but I will email them to check if all is ok.

Just need to make a start on the packing list as we haven't got long to do it when we get back from our caravan break. Trying to make sure all the "official" stuff is in place

Gill,

There is plenty of seating available and you can buy sandwiches etc in the terminal and I believe afternoon tea is available on board although we have never partaken of it. As embarkations go Fred's is not one of the best, although if you're not ariving until after 2pm boarding should be well under way by the time you arive.

Carl

Jakanne,

Get some summer weather ordered up your way as we will be up there with the caravan tomorrow for a few days. Trying not to take any clothes we want for the cruise, but have to get the lists sorted tonight. So much to do and so little time after we get home, but the Braemar beckons and we are so excited.

Jakanne,

Get some summer weather ordered up your way as we will be up there with the caravan tomorrow for a few days. Trying not to take any clothes we want for the cruise, but have to get the lists sorted tonight. So much to do and so little time after we get home, but the Braemar beckons and we are so excited.

Bring your winter clothes, Gill, and an umbrella. It's like the Baltic....we can get 3 types of weather in one day!! Scenery is lovely though and Barnard Castle is busy with the YSL display at the Bowes Museum.

We sailed from Dover at the end of May. We left our case outside The terminal and then as we went in we had to complete a health form. There was then a line of check in desks and no queue so we were gently guiided through, and our booking in completed there and then. We registered our card there, and were also then given our cards for the ship. We then went straight onto the ship, and our picture was taken just before we got on. Just as we got onto the ship we had to pass our card under a reader and that was it - straight to our room. About 10 minutes later ( at most) there was a knock at the door and our case arrived. Perfect. Have a great cruise - wish I was going on Braemar again.

Mabletown gave an excellent answer and there is little to add other than yes, it is a cash-free ship and all transactions are carried out in pounds sterling. You can see a running total of your account from your cabin TV. Dover is the most civilised port to sail from as it's comfortable and food is available to purchase. But allow yourself plenty of time to get there as there may be long queues owing to lorry drivers.

The answer to all your points is "yes". When your taxi arrives at cruise terminal 1 or 2 you will hand over your luggage to the porters and it will be taken to your cabin. Your travel agent should have given you a cruise ticket but I have never been asked for it. You should have your passport and your travel insurance certificate (again, I have never been asked for it on 30+ Fred. Olsen cruises).

You will be asked to complete a short medical questionnaire prior to checking in.

At check in you will be given a card which acts as your ID throughout the voyage and on some of their ships is your cabin door key.

Take any essentials needs in you hand baggage as there may be a delay in the delivery of your cases.

I like the Dover cruise terminal and have always found it very efficiently run.

I hope you have a great cruise.:)

Thank you. I never heard from Co-op travel agent and rang Fred and was told the travel agent will have my tickets as they get sent out automatically on a date basis. Was starting to panic because I am now in Co Durham away in our caravan and TA is not answering my e-mails and a phone call went to a different branch who looked up my reference numbers and couldn't find my tickets and said to contact the branch again. A bit difficult as I won't be home now till a few days before the cruise.

Reassuring that I may not need tickets, so should be ok with the invoice document I have for the cruise instead of any tickets. I did get luggage labels through the post. Will stop fretting now and enjoy looking forward to the cruise.

I have usually had tickets emailed, either direct or via an agent if we have used one. Depends if they have your email address though I should think.

I would not be happy if they did not answer emails - are you sure you have the correct email address, sometimes stuff is sent out from 'no reply' email address, where they would not get a reply delivered.

Everything ok. E-mail just arrived from Co-op TA to say they have printed the tickets and I can collect them when we get back home a few days before joining the cruise. Can relax now as they were the last official items on my check list to see to. Roll on 9th August.

Gill, we checked in for Black Watch at Liverpool on 12th and they weren't interested in the tickets. Just passports. You will be able to get afternoon tea (sandwiches etc) in the buffet from around 2:30 (details on the back page of the Daily Times news sheet in your cabin). We found FO very similar to Thomson in the way they do things so you will feel at home.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk