Braemar - 9 August - booking ship tours.

This is our first Fred cruise, and we haven't had the package with the tours in yet, but it would appear that some of the tours can be booked on line now, so we have taken the chance and booked our St Petersburg trips, 2 for 15th as I presume the evening one will go well after the daytime one has returned, and one for the 16th.

Getting excited now and only need to sort out what currency will be needed as we were given the impression euros accepted in most of the countries for sundry items in the shops.

Gill.

This is our first Fred cruise, and we haven't had the package with the tours in yet, but it would appear that some of the tours can be booked on line now, so we have taken the chance and booked our St Petersburg trips, 2 for 15th as I presume the evening one will go well after the daytime one has returned, and one for the 16th.

Getting excited now and only need to sort out what currency will be needed as we were given the impression euros accepted in most of the countries for sundry items in the shops.

Gill.

Started to do my research on Baltic cruise, too, Gill. It seems that in Norway and Sweden there are ATMs where you can get their currency but perhaps even better, you can use a credit card for something as little as a couple of beers or coffee. I just got my credit card statement for when I was in Spain and the rate of exchange was better than the exchange rate at home or on the internet that day. Always ask for the payment to be made in the country's currency not £s.

I understand if you use Euros to pay in eg Norway, you will be given change in NOK....a bit like some Caribbean islands. Not sure about the other countries though. I expect not many tills will have the facility to give change in the same currency used to pay with.

Gill.

They wouldn't let you book two tours if they overlapped so you will be quite safe. Catherine's Palace and Peterhoff are outstanding and I would thoroughly recommend both. We went to the Hermitage on an 'exclusive' evening tour which turned out to be a bit of a rip off as we didn't see any more than we had previously seen on a much cheaper daytime trip. Just remember that while the Russians welcome hard currency such as US dollars and Euros with both arms, you may need Russian coins to use the toilets. But you can probably get away with giving the 'maid' a euro coin. Norway will take euros no problem. We bought a coat using that currency only a few weeks ago.

Thanks. I have booked Peterhof Park for me as Ray would not manage the steps, and then the Evening on the Waterways tour for both of us for the evening. For the second day, I have booked us both on Panoramic Gulf of Finland tour. Going to wait for showcase for the other ports but will likely be DIY.

Called in TA today and he said we will need the country's own currency for Denmark, Latvia and Russia, and Euros for Finland and Germany. We will take a load of Euros, and may get £10 or £20 worth of the other 3 countries currencies. We will likely have an easy wander round, probably near the port and should manage to spend that amount on beer or coffee, and ice cream etc.

Gill.

Travel agents will always tell you to take local currency but you can't easily buy roubles outside of Russia. I promise you they will take dollars, euros and pounds in St Petersburg. Take a look at this website if you are not convinced:

http://realrussia.co.uk/Info/Money The official currency in both Latvia and Denmark is the euro.

I have been looking at What's in Port too at the currency and found that Euros only will be ok for this cruise. Because my husband is limited with mobility, we don't get too adventurous, and will happily settle at a bar or café with a drink and people watch for a while, so reckon Euros will be ok. The trips we are doing in Russia have one or two stops for souvenirs and What's in Port also indicates Euros should be ok in them, so I am not worried about it now. Thanks.

Gill.

A word of caution. If you intend getting off the ship and doing your own thing in St Petersburg you will need a visa which will cost around £80. You won't get through the port terminal without it and I dread to think how you would fare getting back if you didn't have one. A passenger on one excursion decided not to come back on the bus and instead stay ashore without a visa. I often wonder what happened to him because I didn't bump into him during the remainder of the cruise. Russia really hasn't got the hang of tourism.

A word of caution. If you intend getting off the ship and doing your own thing in St Petersburg you will need a visa which will cost around £80. You won't get through the port terminal without it and I dread to think how you would fare getting back if you didn't have one. A passenger on one excursion decided not to come back on the bus and instead stay ashore without a visa. I often wonder what happened to him because I didn't bump into him during the remainder of the cruise. Russia really hasn't got the hang of tourism.

Being our first time in Russia, we didn't want to take any chances so even though some of the coaches you are booking looked good value, and I understand they cover the visa for you being an organised tour, we made the decision to stick with the ship tours this time round. We are looking forward to this cruise so much.

• 1 month later...