Fred Olsen's Balmoral

frogeye123

Hi Cruisers

I'm new to this forum and hopefully it will answer a few question for me prior to booking with FO on Balmoral. I've always cruised with P&O since 1985 but never tried an FO cruise before. Reading comparisons to P&O the size and set up seems on a Par with the old Canberra or more recently the Adonia. I have been reading the T&Cs for Fred's ships but cannot get answers for specific questions, just wondered if the well travelled cruisers specically on Balmoral could help me out?

Firstly the cruise I am interested in is the L1517 on 14th Sept for 35N to USA, are there any reservations about the ports of call on this cruise that I should be made aware of. Also during sea days do they have deck quoits or shuffleboard competitions like P&O. At night do they run a syndecate quiz for those not interested in shows. Can you buy a bottle of whisky for your cabin on board? Is there a good alternative to occasionally miss the set dining meal times for dinner? Is the dress code similar to P&O for dining i.e black tie nights on some nights. What are the inside cabins like for our first time with FO?

Sorry for all the questions and I don't want to draw too many comparisons to P&O, but we have had many excellent cruises with them, but just fancied a Fred Olsen cruise for a change.

Cheers John

We have been on all the FO ships except the Black Watch. We have recently done a cruise on the Oriana which was our first with P and O. Obviously, we made comparisons, so here is a short report of our opinion.

The Oriana is slightly larger, so more choice of bars and lounges and food available almost round the clock whereas the times are slightly more limited on Fred. We think the standard of food slightly better on Fred.

Like the fact that on P and O you can take as much alcohol on board as you like to consume in your cabin. On both cruise lines you can buy on board for cabin consumption, but cheaper on P and O.

We think the cabins are slightly larger on Fred, but they may vary on both lines.

The staff on Fred seem to be more helpful and friendly, but could be a cultural difference as the majority on Fred are from the Phillipines and on P and O from India.

Dress code on both lines very similar with the formal nights. However, we enjoy the chance to dress up as we very rarely have the opportunity at home.

We thought the entertainment during the day better on Fred. Our P and O cruise was going to Iceland and the lectures were about ancient Egypt! Quite impressed with the up to date films shown on P and O.

Can't help with the ports of call as only done land trips in the U.S.

Taking everything into account I would say they are both catering for a similar market. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise with P and O, but we like Fred too. We also like to sit at a table of 6 or 8 and have always been very lucky with our dining companions.

I hope I have been able to answer some of your questions.

I have sailed a few times on P & O and would equate the Balmoral with the best ship P & O got rid of, the Artemis. We did a world cruise sector on Balmoral, the one with the vicar a couple of years ago, and yes, sea days they have shuffle board and deck quoits. The only calls I have made is Miami and Azores. Miami is nice, and well worth seeing the old area. The Americans have invested a lot in Miami dragging it up from a down at heal town. Site seeing is good. The Azores can be two different places depending on if it is raining or not. I have been there when it rains, and it's like a ghost town, sunshine and its all activity.

I personally like Fred ships, having sailed at least once on all of their ships. Good luck with your upcoming cruise. I think the longer cruises are better, you get to know the staff as well as your fellow passengers. Worth considering the drinks package @ £10 a day, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and a couple of other drinks during the day and it soon gets used up. You also get the 50% discount on drinks not on the lis except their speciality coffees.

Edited by ovccruiser

No experience with P&O, but Balmoral is Fred's flagship.

"Worth considering the drinks package @ £10 a day, a couple of glasses of wine with dinner and a couple of other drinks during the day and it soon gets used up. You also get the 50% discount on drinks not on the lis except their speciality coffees. "

The only setback I've found with the drinks package is that both of us would have to buy it and my OH doesn't drink alcohol and only the occasional coffee or soft drink so I'm not sure it wouldn't cost us more than we drink. I'll check it out again for our next cruise, though.

wft

We cruise with mostly P and O or Fred.

If the ports are the same and basic costs same we go with Fred because of the AI....😄

We like the Balmoral best of Fred.

Like Arcadia, found Azura too big.

Yes you can buy drinks on the ship for your cabin. Can not bring them from shore tho.

Deck games yes, quizzes yes but not too sure what syndicate is. We go to quizzes thro the day There are quizzes in the evening but we never go to those. Too busy at shows or dancing. You will have not been to the Dolphin Racing, so that will be a treat...😄

We go for inside cabins all the time. Found both fine.

We think food better on Fred.

Dress Code a touch more formal on Fred I think.

Not sure if Balmoral has another restaurent apart from Buffet that you could use for something different. Boudica had last Jan but we didn't use it.

Entertainment much the same, but as P and O have theatres it seems more sophisticated.

If you like Ballroom and Latin Dancing, Fred caters better. Both have dance lessons thro the day. They also have Dance Hosts.

In our experience a Slightly wider age group on PandO, fewer kids on Fred. But it depends on time and destinations.

Fred has AI, it suits us as we are drinkers. If your not its maybe not a consideration.

All in all......its 6 of one half a dozen of the other.

Have a great time hope all the comments help.

I'm also on L1517 to the American Deep South and yes you can form a group for the quizzes. There is one in the morning and one around 10.30 pm. I've been to most of the ports before and the only one you need to beware of is the Bahamas where tourists are harassed to buy from street traders. Crime is sharply on the rise apparently so be careful where you go. If someone manages to place something in your hand or on your wrist then they expect you to pay for it and become very aggressive when you refuse. You can definitely buy a bottle of whisky to drink in your cabin and there is a selection to choose from. They will be at supermarket prices. At the end of the cruise prices will be lowered to duty free.

Edited by Coravel

Thankyou for all the replies back regarding Balmoral, much appreciated.

I think it is worth giving it a try, just didn't know what to expect but from all accounts it is similar to the P&O set up. We like the quoits and syndicate quiz at nights and they seem to be covered, not forgetting the bottle for the cabin. We would definitely use the AI system on board too.

Once again many thanks, John