Kids snorkel gear on endeavor

• 3 weeks later...

We took two of our grandchildren (8 and 11) on the Endeavour earlier this summer. It was a magical trip with lots of families aboard. Yes, they had lots of shortie wet suits and snorkel gear to fit the younger ones. The water temperature was quite cold and the 8 year old couldn't stay in too long. The 11 year old did fine. In the spring the water should be warmer.

Thank you very much for your reply and information on the availability of snorkel gear. My husband and I visited the Galapagos with another company about 6 years ago and I've been waiting ever since for the Grandkids to be a good age to make the trip. Both of them are such nature lovers.

Any other thoughts you can share about making this trip with children (and their parents) would be greatly appreciated. What to pack and what to leave home? Recommendations of what to read before we go? Should we consider 2 or 3 rooms for the 6 of us? Does Lindblad fill the hours in Guayaquil for you or should we find a private guide to show us around?

Thank you, in advance, for any insights you are able to give to make this an extra special vacation for all of us :)

We too had been to the Galapagos years ago and couldn't wait to take the grandkids on a special trip. This was the first of four trips for us with the two oldest ones. We went without parents and it was a wonderful time to really get to know the kids, as all of ours live so far away.

As far as Guayaquil, we choose the recommended flights and regretted that decision greatly. We didn't arrive in Guayaquil until after midnight and had a 5 am wake-up call for Baltra flight. On the return we had a 7 am flight out of Guayaquil, so we had another middle of night call (3 am). All of this was difficult for the young ones. Would recommend looking at earlier arrival into Ecuador and departure on the red-eye that same day or later the next day after the cruise. As far as Guayaquil, we didn't have time to see anything on the inbound and upon return to Guayaquil after the cruise, the kids just played in the large pool with all of the other kids from the trip (grand time). One caution, they advise you to leave the hotel only with transport that they arrange as it is a large city with all that comes with that. I believe they offered a tour of Guayaquil the day we returned from the ship but we didn't take it.

On board, it was busy all the time with activities. The kids all bonded with the other younger ones quickly and the lounge was filled with chess, board and card games during slack time. We had to arrange our day carefully and pick activities to suit each child (we divided the responsibilities). One pair would go snorkeling while the other kayaked. Be on top of the activity schedule for the next day, as some of the activities such as kayaking fill up quickly. sign up sheets are usually posted in reception around dinner time day prior. One did the Jr naturalist program and enjoyed it. One night they had a pizza party with a movie for the kids.

Would recommend quick dry clothing with a rash guard for swimming and snorkeling, and a fleece for cooler and or windy times on deck. We thought Lindblad did an excellent job. Enjoy your trip.

• 6 months later...

We are in the final countdown and all of us are very excited. One question that came up during laying out what we will need, are plastic cards issued for getting on and off of the ship? I was just wondering if I need to take the larrets to hang the cards around our necks to keep track of them.

Thank you :)