My Journey to Antarctica: detailed journal, info, photos (Nat Geo Explorer)

A year before my partner and I journeyed to Antarctica (this past Jan/Feb) aboard the National Geographic Explorer, I began a blog to chronicle our preparations for that trip and then document the expedition itself. Needless to say, it was an extraordinary adventure.

I have finally put the finishing touches on the journal, which you can view at the link below. In addition to my detailed, photographic day-by-day accounts, there is information along the way about our gear choices, clothing, and other preparations. I hope that this information will be useful to others planning a trip to the White Continent.

Please enjoy!

http://antarcticjourney.wordpress.com/

Completely fantastic. Everyone's experience is of course a little different, but for anyone contemplating the trip, this is the best primer I've read by a long, long distance. You've performed an amazing service to more people than you'll ever know.

• 2 months later...
I truly enjoyed reading through your blog and looking at the photos you posted. It was absolutely fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time to post. I'm hoping in the near future to have the opportunity to sail on expedition cruise to Antarctica.

Thank you for your very kind words, and I hope you do have that opportunity!

Also out of curiosity, what lenses did you use with your DSLR camera?

After much agonizing over lenses, weight, reach, etc., I took the Nikon 18-300mm. I knew it was unlikely that I would change lenses outdoors in Antarctica, and this was a good solution for me in terms of reach and also making sure I had enough on the wide end.

Edited by Turtles06

Dear Turtle,

What an incredible blog! I stumbled across it last night and stayed up late reading through it completely. As other posters have said, what an amazing primer for anyone going to Antarctica -- and just what I needed -- not only are we going to Antarctica but also on the same ship and, I think, the same cabin as yours (if I am reading your blog correctly). Any chance that I can ask you a few very specific questions about this expedition? I've just joined CC this morning in order to reach out to you so I am not sure logistically or etiquette-wise the best way of doing that -- posting questions here or is there a way to send a private message with a list of the few questions I have?

Many thanks! Best blog postings I've seen in forever!

Dear Turtle,

What an incredible blog! I stumbled across it last night and stayed up late reading through it completely. As other posters have said, what an amazing primer for anyone going to Antarctica -- and just what I needed -- not only are we going to Antarctica but also on the same ship and, I think, the same cabin as yours (if I am reading your blog correctly). Any chance that I can ask you a few very specific questions about this expedition? I've just joined CC this morning in order to reach out to you so I am not sure logistically or etiquette-wise the best way of doing that -- posting questions here or is there a way to send a private message with a list of the few questions I have?

Many thanks! Best blog postings I've seen in forever!

Thanks so much for your incredibly kind words. I'd be happy to answer specific questions. Cruise Critic doesn't have a private messaging feature, but you can reach me by email here (of course substitute the AT with @ and the DOT with a period):

guntergirl2008ATmsnDOTcom

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It took a couple of days' worth of free time, but I finally finished your blog. What a great read! I passed it along to my dad, who's been searching for ideas for a Just The Boys trip to celebrate his 72nd.

Thanks Matt, I appreciate your kind words. Happy Birthday to your dad; tell him to take you with him! :)

• 1 month later...
Looking forward to my November 28, 2014 departure. Can you enlighten me on the dinner dress code. I am assuming casual but does that include clean, neat jeans?

For sure! It's an expedition, not a cruise; the emphasis is on the adventure, not the clothing! :)

(I read your question to my spouse, and she said "neat and clean jeans would be formal night." :p )

You must be getting very excited; have a fantastic time! I would love to go back one day early in the season . . .

• 2 months later...

I also just found your delightful story of your crossing to a place I do want to visit. However, I am hard-pressed to find a family member who wants to go or can afford it. Wifey is reticent to take this trip, although it may be that she knows how easily I get seasickness and would rather not suffer this experience. If I never go, at least I have this vivid story with photos to recall. We did just recently return from the Lindblad adventure to Norway and the Arctic on the Explorer, which was a fantastic experience. Bud was also our tour director and he has mloved from Alaska to Colorado.

Thanks again for your sharing of this adventure.