Questions about Braemar

annieuk

Our very first cruise was on Braemar back in 2003 - before she was stretched - and we have been cruising mostly with P&O since then. Now we have booked on Braemar again for August this year. I know things have changed quite a bit since 2003 - as part of our booking we have the All Inclusive Drinks package which didn't exist when we were on her. Previously there was only the Thistle Restaurant and the Palms Cafe, now there is the Grampian Restaurant as well. We have been booked in the Thistle - we liked it when we were there before, I know the menu is the same, is there another difference?

I have sent for a Fred Olsen brochure so will be able to find out other things but can anyone tell me if I can take a bottle of Squash on board - I know we can't take any alcohol? Also what are the current gratuities rate - I think it's auto tips now - don't want to start any ructions, would just like to know what the rate is? On P&O we always leave the Auto Tips on.

Thank you for any help.

Tips have not changed since our first cruise with Fred in 2002 - £4 per passenger per day which is £2 for your room steward and £2 for your waiter so the same as it was the last time you were on board. They are now deducted automatically but you can always ask to do it yourself or you can give them a little extra. Have a good trip.

The Grampian restaurant is on a higher deck (8), and is a smaller restaurant, so it is a bit quieter in there. It can be booked by anyone, if it is still available, but tends to book up if you are not fairly early with a booking. It does not tend to be used for people who book late on anchor fares. If the nights are light there can be some good views from there, compared to the main restaurant were many seats are quite a distance from the windows. We much prefer the Grampian which I think is best if you like a more refined atmosphere, especially if you want a smaller table - there are a number of tables for two up there, though there are some larger tables as well. Although dress code is the same in both restaurants it seems to be observed a little better in the Grampian, but there is still a pleasant, relaxed atmosphere - not stuffy.

We usually leave the auto tips in place, but tend to give a bit more to some staff. As said previously the auto tips are only for the cabin stewards and restaurant waiters (who pass something on to their helpers) but they basically rely on the tips for a salary, whereas other staff get a more realistic pay structure. We do leave a little in the bars if we use them a lot, but at a much lower level. The other tips we give regularly are to the room service staff if we have ordered something. Even a £ or a Euro brings an appreciative smile from the room service staff.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned after a cruise on the Braemar. We were allocated to the Thistle and were allocated a table rather 'out of the way' so asked for a move, which was arranged. Cannot praise the organisation enough. Auto tips work fine, but we gave extra to waiter, room steward and drinks waiter in the Neptune Lounge, as they all went the extra mile to please. How they get to remember everyone's preferences when there is such a regular changeover, I do not know, bit it is very impressive. Enjoy your cruise - I can't wait for the next one!

Another quick question - I know we can't take alcohol on board but am I permitted to take a bottle of squash - Robinson's? I drink a lot of squash and as far as I know you can't buy it on board.

Another quick question - I know we can't take alcohol on board but am I permitted to take a bottle of squash - Robinson's? I drink a lot of squash and as far as I know you can't buy it on board.

No problem. If not on the AI we have regularly taken quite a lot of diet Coke and water on board at a number of ports. It is just alcohol they are bothered about.