Our First "Muse-ings" from Monte Carlo Roundtrip

Master Echo

I splurged for the higher speed Wifi for the duration of the cruise ($278) and it was excellent.

Ouch, thats a lot! What extra things were you able to do with that? On the Wind last month, it sounds like we were guinea pigs and given unlimited access with half decent speeds. I was even able to stream for a couple of minutes to test (though it was just to test and it probably wasnt substainable.)

Thanks for the Gallery Echo..... Really looking forward to seeing even more now. I think from even before you said it, I actually thought Atlantide would be considered the nearest thing to the MDR and a bit of a strange choice to have the Asian as the larger of the 3 bigger restaurants. As you said though, in time, I expect they may well adapt a different usage and swap around. I doubt it could happen without a dry dock visit, so not anything that'll happen soon.

Picking up of the lonely character shivering who failed to get in, (with all restaurants in use).... how do you think they will cope on 16 June in Monaco when Mandfredi has pre-booked both Atlantide and La Terrazza?

Neither can be booked, but I cant believe they will both be exclusively for his use..... surely.... ?

Big mistake on Manfredi's part imo. This is the time when word is getting out on the ship and the way its no MDR, all reservation system will work, and to eliminate its two largest options from regular passengers will certainly be reflected in the reviews. If Manfredi wants to keep the ship to himself he should charter it and do whatever he wants but to deprive paying customers of 25% of its dining options is disgusting. But then what would you expect from someone who charges you for his wife's charity without telling you????

Big mistake on Manfredi's part imo. This is the time when word is getting out on the ship and the way its no MDR, all reservation system will work, and to eliminate its two largest options from regular passengers will certainly be reflected in the reviews. If Manfredi wants to keep the ship to himself he should charter it and do whatever he wants but to deprive paying customers of 25% of its dining options is disgusting. But then what would you expect from someone who charges you for his wife's charity without telling you????

I certainly echo that that charge shouldnt be added. Ive removed in the past, but felt generous last time out (as we did get such great deal) and left it on the bill.

I think you are correct that he cant seriously take half the ships eating places for himself mid cruise - but neither are bookable. Last year, when we were in Monaco, he had booked out "La Champagne" for him, Albert and friends. (I actually wanted it for this night too...so thought it odd it was already "fully booked" a 120 days in advance!)

That wasnt really a big issue I suppose - but I agree, when you pay your fare, you expect to have access to the whole ship, not just when the owner allows you access and not showing his new toy off to his friends!

It was quite nice the last time though.... the fireworks and secrecy etc... but I doubt it was for more than 30 people. Inviting 280 is a little different. I cant help thinking its been booked "just in case" and not 2 will be taken. It of course should be neither - especially given you have to book and abide by a by restaurant dress code.

Look on the positive side. Maybe he's planning some sort of party for all[emoji3]

This is true! :D

Then again......... l:p

Lots of racing drivers were on the Wind last year on his invite. Maybe I can blag some Monaco F1 tickets too. We'd have to wait 11 months though for the next race! lol

To be fair, I'm not really thinking its likely he will remove both restaurants from everyones use, but am curious what its all about and how it pans out.

Internet......the $278 package was for the full monty as in wishing to watch you tube et al....l took the $178 package for the whole voyage and didn't have any problem at all with email, FB and also FaceTime.....and it didn't cut off until l left the ship.

Four or so years ago on the Wind Manfredi hosted several parties on board in Monaco taking over La T, Champagne along with the Panorama lounge....the ship was split between formal and casual but at least the main restaurant was available....on The Muse this may cause a bit of a problem....

Sophia 😊

Internet......the $278 package was for the full monty as in wishing to watch you tube et al....l took the $178 package for the whole voyage and didn't have any problem at all with email, FB and also FaceTime.....and it didn't cut off until l left the ship.

Still sounds a lot, but if its worth it to the buyer, then all well and good. On my next couple, they are both in the Med, so will use the ships internet only at sea and use my own phone 4G which as of June 11th (I think) I can use my entire monthly 25GB data allowance roaming. No good at sea obviously, but gives more than enough access while away.

Four or so years ago on the Wind Manfredi hosted several parties on board in Monaco taking over La T, Champagne along with the Panorama lounge....the ship was split between formal and casual but at least the main restaurant was available....on The Muse this may cause a bit of a problem....

Yes, they took the Panorama lounge after their meal on ours too. It genuinely wasnt a problem - quite exciting in some ways.

The fact on the Muse, taking half the total places to have a meal would have such an impact, I cant see that it will be happening as it appears on paper.

Unless they send out for Pizza Hut! lol

Summary and Conclusions

".....Obviously the big issue is the capacity for dinner. On the first night one couple wandered round the various dining venues begging for food like Oliver Twist, because everywhere had been pre- booked either online in advance of embarkation, or on embarkation day. A single lady ended up shivering in Hot Rocks!......"

I'm sure that this won't be the only time such things happen. And people are paying luxury cruise prices for such experiences! The dining situation sounds complicated, poorly thought-out and likely unworkable, especially for solo guests. It sounds like there isn't enough capacity in the venues people prefer, so you have to reserve well in advance to avoid pizza in the cold. Also the system is too inflexible to accommodate people wanting to change plans, or wanting to dine with new friends. For a solo traveler, all this makes the dining experience something anxiety-provoking and unpleasant to say the least. And, dining should be one of the highlights of a luxury cruise.

Edited by Bon.Vivant

What Bon.Vivant just said is disturbing. My wife and I have sailed twice on the Spirit and once on the Cloud, and were eagerly anticipating the arrival of the Muse. But the Muse dining situation is enough to dissuade me from booking a cruise on the ship.

For whatever it's worth, we recently took a 12-night cruise on the Oceania Riviera. No, it's not Silversea, but virtually every dining venue on the ship was at least the equal of the SS venues. Alcohol isn't included in the fare, but for $60 per day, per person (including gratuity), you get access to the same range and quality of wines and spirits that you do on SS. The $60 a day does, of course, add up, but the overall cost is still considerably less than a comparable SS cruise. The Riviera, by the way, is gorgeous, but not in a glitzy way. SS loyalists would probably like the look and feel of the ship, if 1250 passengers isn't a deal-breaker.

We've booked two future cruises on Oceania, both on the Riviera's sister ship, the Marina. SS needs to realize that even those who love its ships are prepared to take their business elsewhere if the SS "experience" starts going downhill.

I really do not see this reservation deal on the Muse to be that bad. You mentioned Oceania, we have cruised on the Riveria and you must make a reservation for the 4 speciality restaurants. They have a sliding scale based on room type as to when you can make them so if you have a regular veranda room or below it can be a problem. It's true the MDR and terrace are open sitting however my experience is everyone is scrambling to get into the others. Also I found everything that is not included to be very costly. After sailing on them a few times I have decided their is better value available.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

I really do not see this reservation deal on the Muse to be that bad. You mentioned Oceania, we have cruised on the Riveria and you must make a reservation for the 4 speciality restaurants. They have a sliding scale based on room type as to when you can make them so if you have a regular veranda room or below it can be a problem. It's true the MDR and terrace are open sitting however my experience is everyone is scrambling to get into the others. Also I found everything that is not included to be very costly. After sailing on them a few times I have decided their is better value available.

Not been on the Riveria but agree with the sentiment that costs all add up. I found that out on the cruise I did last August. Given the high staff to passenger ratios, I cant help think that things are not as equal as described. 1250 is probably beyond what I'd like, but its not a mega ship which having done it once, wont do it again. The level of service is the thing that does it for me, plus no queues to get on and leave the ships.

Also agree about the reservation and dress code changes are not as bad for me as some are believing they are. Its obviously a horror story that someone was turned away from all the restaurants and shivered in the Pizza restaurant. Personally in that scenario, Id maybe have waited until there was a table (there are limited places - just as there are in the non booking MDR), or eat in my room. Not saying id be happy, but I just dont see this scenario being a regular thing and think there is a learning curve and things will get better as it goes. To dismiss the Muse for hearing that unfortunate incident is a bit extreme and Im pretty sure all cruise companies have their hiccups - especially in maiden voyages which are notorious for lessons to be learned and improvements to make.

The problem with Oceania is that to get a comparable anoint of cabin space to SS or SB one has to book a penthouse. That, along with paying for drinks and tips, makes Oceania MORE expensive than the luxury lines.

The problem with Oceania is that to get a comparable anoint of cabin space to SS or SB one has to book a penthouse. That, along with paying for drinks and tips, makes Oceania MORE expensive than the luxury lines.

Absolutely agree, and why on earth would you wish to travel with that many people.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

IMHO, You really can't compare Oceania with SS. We have sailed with them several times in penthouse, owners, and Oceania suites. The ships are lovely, the service is generally good as is the food, but there is NO comparison to the experience. There is an ambience on SS as well as other luxury lines (like Seabourn and Regent) that is quite different from Oceania. The all-inclusive atmosphere also adds another dimension of luxury. It is not just the beverages, it is all the little nickel and dime stuff that still exists on Oceania. There is also a 'cast' system where suite passengers are treated better than 'cabin' passengers. One of the wonderful things about SS is that everyone is treated equally well. I could go on and this is just our experience and opinion. I would rather be in a 'regular' suite on SS than the Owner's or Oceania suite on one of the Oceania ships. We are very excited about our upcoming cruise on the Muse and will navigate the dining and dressing issues and report back.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

From the London/UK Daily Mail travel section two days ago, they have this headline: Silver service on the highest of seas: Sailing away on the splendid Silver Muse, where Champagne flows on tap”.

Here are some of their story highlights: There's a new queen of the seas. Silver Muse — the ninth ship in the fleet of high-end cruise line Silversea — brings with it serious levels of luxury. Guests enjoy the A-list lifestyle from the minute the ship casts off. The cabins (sorry, 'suites') are spacious and swish, each with private balconies and bathrooms, Bvlgari toiletries, plus pillow menu. Cool off on deck in the swimming pool or in one of the whirlpools while sipping a glass of free-flowing and all-inclusive champagne. A fair few opt to do just that as we set sail from Genoa to Barcelona via Marseilles.”.

A number of pictures are included. Somewhat of a "puff piece", but the writer paints an enjoyable picture for enjoying sailings with Silversea.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-4500560/Sail-away-Silver-Muse-Champagne-flows-tap.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 214,103 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

From the London/UK Daily Mail travel section two days ago, they have this headline: Silver service on the highest of seas: Sailing away on the splendid Silver Muse, where Champagne flows on tap”.

Here are some of their story highlights: There's a new queen of the seas. Silver Muse — the ninth ship in the fleet of high-end cruise line Silversea — brings with it serious levels of luxury. Guests enjoy the A-list lifestyle from the minute the ship casts off. The cabins (sorry, 'suites') are spacious and swish, each with private balconies and bathrooms, Bvlgari toiletries, plus pillow menu. Cool off on deck in the swimming pool or in one of the whirlpools while sipping a glass of free-flowing and all-inclusive champagne. A fair few opt to do just that as we set sail from Genoa to Barcelona via Marseilles.”.

A number of pictures are included. Somewhat of a "puff piece", but the writer paints an enjoyable picture for enjoying sailings with Silversea.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-4500560/Sail-away-Silver-Muse-Champagne-flows-tap.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Sounds simply devine