Quarantine/Isolation on ship

I have read a few posts about guests being quarantined or isolated during their cruise?

Does anyone know the particulars?

I can understand the health concerns,

but makes me wonder if a person should be hesitant to cough or sneeze?

Or hesitant to visit the ship doctor?

There was post on another forum about someone who was quarantined because they tested positive for influenza A.

Is influenza A different from just a regular stomach flu?

Just curious,

Are you quarantined in your cabin? or is there a separate quarantine area?

I assume your meals would be delivered, and you are not allowed to visit ports.

If you show signs of either noro or swine flu, they want you separated from the general population. If you simply sneeze or cough, with no other signs of illness, then you're good to go...everyone sneezes and coughs! It's the highly communicable diseases they worry about.

If you show signs of the 2 "quarantine" sicknesses, you will be confined to your cabin, and meals will be delivered (if you're able to eat!)

Both myself and DH were diagnosed with Noro on the Liberty in January and were confined to our cabin for two days. We had a special menu to order from and it was delivered on paper plates with plastic utensils. Also a big red plastic bag to put the remains of our meal in to. They also checked on us periodically. We were given a written release after the 48 hours and were able to resume our cruise. We were also compensated for the two days in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.

.........We were given a written release after the 48 hours and were able to resume our cruise. We were also compensated for the two days in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.

Well that was not so bad then.

Both myself and DH were diagnosed with Noro on the Liberty in January and were confined to our cabin for two days. We had a special menu to order from and it was delivered on paper plates with plastic utensils. Also a big red plastic bag to put the remains of our meal in to. They also checked on us periodically. We were given a written release after the 48 hours and were able to resume our cruise. We were also compensated for the two days in the form of a Future Cruise Credit.

So sorry that you had this problem while on your cruise but at least you got a future cruise credit. I had no idea they even did that. Hopefully when you schedule your next cruise you will have no problems.

moral of the story..

make sure you book a balcony or suite!!

You took the words right out of my mouth. We have been on three cruises. All three times we shared a cabin with our kids and the first two were tiny inside cabins. I can't imagine what we would have done with four of us stuck in an inside cabin for 48 hours. Especially with one or more us us sick? With Novo! :eek:

We wouldn't all have come out alive, I'm almost sure of that.

It seems that each cruise we've been on recently, somebody we know has been quarantined......and that was because they visited the ship's doctor.

When one is confined to their quarters (cabin) it is for a 48 hour period. Usually the other person occupying the same cabin will be confined for the first 24 hours and if they show no signs of the illness, they will be free after that period of time is up.

The MDR Head Waiters are made aware of those that are quarantined as well as Guest Relations. SeaPass accounts are flagged if they are used during the quarantine period.

All meals on delivered to the cabin. On some ships, they will put some type of identification on the outside of the cabin door. This happened on our Splendour sailing in 2008.

If people do not want to abide by the quarantine rules, they can be put off at the nearest port. This also happened on our Splendour sailing in 2008.

It seems that each cruise we've been on recently, somebody we know has been quarantined......and that was because they visited the ship's doctor........

They should stop cruising with you :D

It seems that each cruise we've been on recently, somebody we know has been quarantined......and that was because they visited the ship's doctor.

Seems that to be quarantined, one would probably feel very ill, and would not want to be up and about anyway.

What a shame to be ill while on vacation.

Since this post interests me, hope you don't mind me "bugging" in. So my take is if you don't visit the ship's doctor, you won't be quarantined? Or are you obliged to let the doc know you might have NOVO????

Cindy

Since this post interests me, hope you don't mind me "bugging" in. So my take is if you don't visit the ship's doctor, you won't be quarantined? Or are you obliged to let the doc know you might have NOVO????

Cindy

Ethically, passengers are obliged to visit the ship's doctor if you believe you might have Noro or one of the other major intestinal illnesses or if they believe you might have the flu (H1N1 or otherwise). To not do so and continue to expose other passengers and crew, including the cabin steward who will be attending to several cabins and easily passing along whatever it is they have, is wrong on so many levels. Some people brag about getting Noro or the flu, not seeing the doctor, and continuing to go all over the ship--some even say they don't care if everyone else onboard becomes ill later because "I paid a lot of money; it's my vacation; nothing is going to stop me from doing what I want" and so on. The ultimate in selfishness and "me, me, me" that seems to be in abundance these days.

OTOH, those with serious intestinal symptoms will likely need to see the ship's doctor for treatment regardless. Dehydration is no joke and OTC meds only do so much to stop symptoms. As well, it would be virtually impossible to hide the resulting, um, output and aromas from the cabin steward, who is obligated to report his/her suspicions--and who may end up quarantined too. Other passengers could also mention something to an officer or the passenger services desk.

If there is a reasonable suspicion that you have one of the quarantine illnesses (and Noro, et al are pretty hard to hide, as well as the high fever that almost always goes along with any flu), the captain can order you to go see the ship's doctor or be put off the ship at the next port. The captain is responsible for the health and well being of all onboard and is the absolute "last word" on things like this.

It certainly would be awful to be that ill, especially on vacation, but the cruise lines seem to be dealing with it well overall. The only real issue can be when people overindulge (food or drink) or eat unusual foods (onboard or ashore) that don't agree with them and end up with short-term "yuck." I wouldn't instantly report a single "episode," but if it continued and was obviously not from food, drink, or other external sources, I'd visit the ship's doctor even though I'd know a quarantine would be heading my way. Besides, most people with Noro are so ill that they can do little more than stay in their cabin and be miserable. Might as well be honest about it, get quarantined, protect others, receive specially designed room service, complimentary movies/sodas/bottled water, and often a cruise credit to ease the pain of missing 2 or more days of a cruise.

beachchick

Ethically, passengers are obliged to visit the ship's doctor if you believe you might have Noro or one of the other major intestinal illnesses or if they believe you might have the flu (H1N1 or otherwise). To not do so and continue to expose other passengers and crew, including the cabin steward who will be attending to several cabins and easily passing along whatever it is they have, is wrong on so many levels. Some people brag about getting Noro or the flu, not seeing the doctor, and continuing to go all over the ship--some even say they don't care if everyone else onboard becomes ill later because "I paid a lot of money; it's my vacation; nothing is going to stop me from doing what I want" and so on. The ultimate in selfishness and "me, me, me" that seems to be in abundance these days.

OTOH, those with serious intestinal symptoms will likely need to see the ship's doctor for treatment regardless. Dehydration is no joke and OTC meds only do so much to stop symptoms. As well, it would be virtually impossible to hide the resulting, um, output and aromas from the cabin steward, who is obligated to report his/her suspicions--and who may end up quarantined too. Other passengers could also mention something to an officer or the passenger services desk.

If there is a reasonable suspicion that you have one of the quarantine illnesses (and Noro, et al are pretty hard to hide, as well as the high fever that almost always goes along with any flu), the captain can order you to go see the ship's doctor or be put off the ship at the next port. The captain is responsible for the health and well being of all onboard and is the absolute "last word" on things like this.

It certainly would be awful to be that ill, especially on vacation, but the cruise lines seem to be dealing with it well overall. The only real issue can be when people overindulge (food or drink) or eat unusual foods (onboard or ashore) that don't agree with them and end up with short-term "yuck." I wouldn't instantly report a single "episode," but if it continued and was obviously not from food, drink, or other external sources, I'd visit the ship's doctor even though I'd know a quarantine would be heading my way. Besides, most people with Noro are so ill that they can do little more than stay in their cabin and be miserable. Might as well be honest about it, get quarantined, protect others, receive specially designed room service, complimentary movies/sodas/bottled water, and often a cruise credit to ease the pain of missing 2 or more days of a cruise.

beachchick

Thanks a lot for that wonderful explanation. So if I come up with fever, I go see the ships doc, simple as that. I think I can remember that. I've got pretty weak intestins, but I know the difference between a one time yuck and/or the flu, noro. Still gonna bring my medication for it though, even if I have to pay the doc a visit. ;) Thanks for explaining it to me. And I agree, even if you paid for a cruise, you have to consider others. I can only imagine at what speed a bug can go from one to another on a cruise ship :eek:

Cindy

If you visit the ships doctor,beware.My DW cisited the shipsm doctor with what she knew was a sinus infection.Of course they tested her for swine,norvo and other flus she showed no signs of.The test for flus came back negative(surprise,surprise since she showed no signs).Of course we received a bill for the bogus test of 475 bucks.They recommened breathing treatments twice a day for 90 bucks a pop and felt she did not need an antibiotic which would have cleared it up( my guess is they don't make enough money on it).A visit to our family doctor when we returned home resulted in an proper antibiotic precription and her ailment being cleared.We had cruise insurance but of course they want you to go thru your personnal insurance first.Lesson learned is to go to your doctor first let her know you are cruising and get some meds to use if needed and avoid the ships doctors if at all possible ................. Frank

Don't be in a hurry to visit Sick Bay on a cruise ship.I once became ill all the sudden on one of my cruises.I figured it my have been something I ate.I stayed in my room and it coming out of both ends for 2 hours then I felt fine other than feeling I was put thru the ringer.Had room service bring some dinner.My wife met them at the cabin door,got a goods night sleep and was perfectly fine the next morning.If I had jumped the gun and went to the ships sick bay who knows what they would have done to my body plus I would have been exposed to those that may have been sick. BT

Our last cruise our daughter (11)was feeling bad the first night. We thought she had a little bit of sea sickness. The next morning she woke up with a high fever. I took her to the ships dr and they gave her some antibiotics. I don't remember if they diagnosed her with anything. She stayed in bed for the rest of the day and woke up the next morning feeling fine. She was not quarantined. Later that week our son (13) was stung by box jelly fish while snorkeling in Grand Cayman and had a terrible reaction and had to go to the dr and was hooked up to oxygen and IVs, etc. Needless to say, our seapass card balance was a lot larger than usual from the dr bills. Luckily, insurance covered all of it.

Don't be in a hurry to visit Sick Bay on a cruise ship.I once became ill all the sudden on one of my cruises.I figured it my have been something I ate.I stayed in my room and it coming out of both ends for 2 hours then I felt fine other than feeling I was put thru the ringer.Had room service bring some dinner.My wife met them at the cabin door,got a goods night sleep and was perfectly fine the next morning.If I had jumped the gun and went to the ships sick bay who knows what they would have done to my body plus I would have been exposed to those that may have been sick. BT
That's a good reason to bring Pepto or a similar medicine on the cruise. You never know how your body will react if you eat something new or differently than at home. If Pepto doesn't clear it up within a few hours, then it's probably something worse than just a sensative stomach.

Archived