Refurbishment of Explorer

bsugar

A couple of things that we know are going to be done in the dry dock are they are moving the shop to the Library on 5 and having a dedicated Cruise Consultant office there as well. The gym doubles in size by expanding into the old shop. The bathrooms are getting a make over. And new soft furnishings in the rooms. Although I must say our suite on 5 is looking pretty damn good to me. :D

Ron and Ann, thanks for the info. And I too am missing your trip report. But I thought you took this trip already?

We we are booked on an October trip on Silver Explorer. We were booked in 427, our usual suite, but apparently this suite will be "unavailable" after the refurbishment. Our TA was notified of this last month, and we were moved to a different (nicer) suite. I'm really liking this refurb! But what is happening on deck 4 that eliminates our former suite? Have you heard anything?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

A trip report will come but too much going on.A couple of days out of Capetown so itmay get started but then 4 days in Bwindi looking for gorillas with basically no internet again.

So definitely not a live report this time.

JP 427 is indeed changing in the refurb.At least some of the Expedition suites will becoming 2 vista suites.At least some of those already booked are being upgraded to a Silver suite.Hope that applies to you.That is from a fellow passenger who was already booked into an Expedition suite on a future booking.

We are on the Explorer now.Going into dry dock in April after it's West coast Africa cruises.

How is the food?? Who is the Chef on board.

Sitting in Kruger today then getting ready to board once she reaches Cape Town.

Paul, the chef on board is Pia. We have sailed with her several times and we like her menus, but on this trip the food has been disappointing at times. We put this down to ALL the provisioning has been Argentinian. Some of the meat and fruit has been below par. We have run out of fruit a couple of days ago. Because we missed Tristan de Cunha because of really bad weather, we are now arriving into Capetown at 9am Wednesday - 12 hours early.

Yes you are right about the provisions. Major re stock when we hit Capetown.

I'm not sure Pia stays on. I think she goes home for a couple of months off.

Currently a few hours out of Capetown :D !!!

• 2 weeks later...
Yes you are right about the provisions. Major re stock when we hit Capetown.

I'm not sure Pia stays on. I think she goes home for a couple of months off.

Currently a few hours out of Capetown :D !!!

On board Explorer now -- food is good Pia is still onboard thru the Canary Is.

Ship goes into drydock in Canary Is.

Major overhauls due, not just cosmetic. Number 2 Motor Gen set gets complete overhaul. Shaft removed and overhauled. Propeller machined. Of course hull will get new paint.

Inside -- all carpets will be removed and replaced. New drapes throughout ship.

More cabins will be created (was told 6) from some of the larger suites which will disappear.

Dining room will add two tables to accommodate the additional guests.

As stated -- Gym will expand to the gift shop.

Internet cafe and computers will be removed and Gift shop will be relocated there.

About 1/2 of the crew have contracts ending. Remaining crew will be in a hotel and helping with the renovations.

Was told that Discover will go to the Galapagos in the future. Explorer will be kept at least through 2021. Asked if Explorer or Silver Cloud will be doing the NW Passage -- got a smile. Hope for that in 2019 :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As reported, the ship was late out of dry dock, but that was not the big disappointment. On arrival all passengers were taken to the theater, and waited for an hour. We were then told to go to the cabins to get life jackets. Most cabins were a disaster. Trash all over the floors including screws, mental parts, plastic bags. Bathrooms with missing mirrors, tiles,and generally so filthy that they would be unusable. We were then called to the emergency drill. After the drill, we we told to go to dinner. Ship sailed at 9:30 PM while at dinner. We finally got back to the cabins at 10:00. Electrical crews and plumbing crews working in the halls. Trash piled throughout the ship. Got the cabin where we could sleep in it a little after midnight.

The crew and passengers were crying with the conditions. To be clear, the crew was doing all they could, this was a management decision that put passengers on a ship that should not have sailed.

Will post more later.

Simply appalling treatment, how can a company that for the most part does so well, look at the The Muse Launch, completely stuff up on what should be a fairly strait forward excercise.

They should have refused to accept the Ship from the Yard and cancelled the entire cruise earliar IMO, and advised the passengers accordingly. The crew would have been so upset, we all know what high standards they strive for and achieve all the time, my sympathies for them.

:loudcry:

Holy Cow what a nightmare AA -Flier !! I am so sorry to hear that. The Explorer is our favourite ship.

I hope things improve rapidly. I will be interested to see what compensation package you are offered !