Prinsendam-creaky, noisy cabins?

azalice

Having had bad experience on Ryndam inside cabin having very creaky, noisy walls and ceiling once ship was moving, we are concerned about the Prinsendam. Has anyone experienced their inside or ocean view cabins having noise problems as I described on our Ryndam cabin in May this year.

On the Ryndam, staff came in twice and shored up the wall/ceiling and it helped a bit but not enough. It interrupted sleeping while sailing.

We are considering the Prinsendam next summer or fall but do not want the same issues on an older ship.

Having had bad experience on Ryndam inside cabin having very creaky, noisy walls and ceiling once ship was moving, we are concerned about the Prinsendam. Has anyone experienced their inside or ocean view cabins having noise problems as I described on our Ryndam cabin in May this year.

On the Ryndam, staff came in twice and shored up the wall/ceiling and it helped a bit but not enough. It interrupted sleeping while sailing.

We are considering the Prinsendam next summer or fall but do not want the same issues on an older ship.

the Prinsendam was a luxury cruise line before it changed hands. I feel she is better built than the other ships and was NOT built by HAL.

She's totally different than the other ships and is our favourite.

While I haven't slept in an inside or Oceanview in her, I knew a lot of people that did and have been in their cabins. They did not have any of those complaints. The only ones I heard of creaking and vibrations were the aft cabins which were installed at a drydock by HAL are mostly balconies. Someone recently posted they had little issue there. One of our tablemates had one of these balcony cabins and couldn't sleep. they got a sleeping cabin - an inside when some got off before we crossed the pond. They slept like babies :)

Hopefully RuthC and a few of those that do inside and outside cabins will see this and reply but I don't think you need to worry in all honesty.

Edited by kazu

I was in OV cabins on two different decks over the past two years on the Prinsendam. Very quiet, especially since most of the cabins on the lower decks have cabins doors set in a little hallway, shielding you from main corridor noise. I agree with Kazu. The ship is built differently than the other ships in the fleet. There is a sliding door to the bathroom. Keep that fastened at night, rather than open, and you'll probably be fine.

I had an inside on my first Prinsendam cruise (balcony on the second). I don't recall hearing any noise at all in either cabin.

My inside cabin was the hottest I've ever been in, though. It was insufferable when trying to sleep, although not as bad during the day.

I love this little ship, and want to sail her again (and again) before her time in the fleet is up.

I had an OV on Dolphin deck and it was wonderfully quiet except for arrival in port ... I was forward and the anchor did get a bit loud - However, I was up and moving anyway so made no difference. I love the Princendam.

Susan

Had a category A balcony cabin on a TATL. Ship creaked and groaned all night leaving Civitavecchia but seas were rough on the sailing to Valencia. You just got used to the noise. An old ship isn't going to be steady and quiet.

As others say, avoid the BC cabins at the aft of deck 8 (main verandah deck). These cabins are built on what used to be deck space and are a huge hollow above the restaurant. Not very structurally sound as it really isn't integrated with the rest of the ship's superstructure, and add to that, the rear pool (no slosh barrier - also moved when the rear cabins were added), sloshes water in rough seas and it'll all end up on your balcony.

We had a very squeaky/rattle-y bathroom door right next to the bed so that it was impossible for either of us to use the bathroom at night without waking the other, but I don't recall that it rattled when not being opened or closed.

Edited by catl331

My spouse just pointed out my error in my original question when I said we had a noisy cabin on the Ryndam. We were not on that ship. We were on the Veendam when our cabin creaked a lot and kept us awake.

Thank you all for your responses about the Prinsendam.