Veendam- Random Thoughts post Cruise

Sirdar

DW and I recently completed our 2 week Collectors Cruise on the Veendam from Boston to Bermuda and back to Boston then up to Canada ending in Quebec City. Herewith (in lieu of a comprehensive review) are some thoughts on the cruise (although I'm happy to answer any questions).

This was our sixth cruise aboard Veendam. I'm happy to say that the ship looked in very good shape. We experienced no problem with the A/C or toilets although we spoke with one passenger on the Main deck (Deck 5) who did.

The food in the Rotterdam Dining Room, the Lido and the "Dive-In" by the Pool was uniformly good. I thought it better than that which we had last summer on the Celebrity Summit to Bermuda. We did not avail ourselves of the specialty restaurants. The new format for Hamburgers and Hot dogs at the Dive In was so good that there were 20 minute waits to get your order. The Taco Bar was also excellent for a quick lunch or snack.

The service in the dining room was quite slow during the peak 6-8PM hours. Some people with whom we shared tables complained bitterly. Staff cutbacks were, thus, noticeable.

The itinerary of 4 days at Hamilton is vastly superior to the 3 days at the Naval dockyard offered by other lines. I strongly suggest this to those contemplating a Bermuda cruise.

This was a Dancing with the Stars cruise (DWTS). While DW and I don't watch this program we very much enjoyed the programs presented in this regard. The professional dancers from the show were amazing. We had the opportunity to meet talk with and be photographed with he celebrity guests on board --Florence Henderson (of Brady Bunch fame) and Carson Kressley (of Queer Eye for the straight Guy note). Ms. Henderson was particularly delightful and willingly posed for snapshots when asked during the entire two week cruise.

Much of our evenings were spent at the Piano Bar where Barry from Boston entertained. He was very good and had a large loyal following.

We enjoyed the Canada week as well (Bar Harbor Maine and Halifax were very nice ports) Sidney NS has little to offer and we missed Prince Edward Island due to poor weather which caused Capt. Ryan to cancel the port call. We hoped to do the Anne of Green Gables tour but no luck there. The overnight on beautiful Quebec City was a perfect end to the holiday.

All in all a very good offering from HAL. We will continue to work our way up to 4 star Mariner Status!

I will be on the Veendam this Saturday our first HAL cruise. Can you walk off with your luggage when disembarking, or do you have to put it out the night before?

Thank you.

Luggage is generally put out the night before although there was an accommodation for those who must catch early flights and connections. I believe you can arrange this on board when you receive disembarkation instructions. I would check with the desk earlier however. I don't think it's a problem as I saw many guests hauling their own luggage.

My sister and her family was on same cruise and said Carson Kressley was very funny

Kressley was very funny indeed. I'm not sure how his over the top gay personality played with some of the HAL passengers however.

Thanks so much for your comments about your Veendam cruise(s). Sounds like a wonderful trip. Happy you had so much fun with the DWTS.... I love Kressley and think him a hoot. :)

I will be on the Veendam this Saturday our first HAL cruise. Can you walk off with your luggage when disembarking, or do you have to put it out the night before?

Thank you.

What you are asking about is called "Self Disembarkation". It is generally available, but not always in some foreign ports.

You must be willing and able to haul all of your luggage off yourself, without assistance. The Self Disembark group are the first people off the ship, usually about 7:30 +/- 15 minutes (or so).

When you complete your disembarkation questionnaire, fill in the area where you request Self Disembark, and you will be all set.

Thanks so much for your report. I am especially glad to hear that there were few problems with plumbing and a/c and that the food was good.

Can't wait to get on the Veendam! Your cruise sounds wonderful!

What you are asking about is called "Self Disembarkation". It is generally available, but not always in some foreign ports.

You must be willing and able to haul all of your luggage off yourself, without assistance. The Self Disembark group are the first people off the ship, usually about 7:30 +/- 15 minutes (or so).

When you complete your disembarkation questionnaire, fill in the area where you request Self Disembark, and you will be all set.

Thank you my fellow Ocean Stater!;)