Renewing passport

cccole

According to what I read in the travel.gov website, you can only apply in person if you are a 1st time applicant, if you are traveling within 2 weeks or if you need to obtain a visa within 4 weeks.

My passport is still good for 9 years. I would like to obtain the passport card without having to renew my passport. I will continue to research their website or call to get that information. Thank you.

Good luck. I was in the same situation and ended up going around in circles for days trying to figure out how to do this, including numerous phone calls.

You can only use DS-82 if you can answer yes to all of the "eligibility" questions. I took the position that I could not submit my passport because it would not be returned to me with a tracking number. And I was a first time applicant for the Passport Card. Perhaps I was lucky and my office took pity on me. All I know is that is how I was able to do it.

I wish you well and hope that the system has finally made adjustments for people like us.

Not all the same benefits. It can be used to enter the USA from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean only. And only by land or sea, not by air. It also does not offer the same benefit of being valid for 10 years; it's 4 years maximum, and possibly less depending on the state.

So not really the same benefits. Rather, a limited subset.

Pretty much the same benefits as far as traveling is concerned, I have not seen a difference. A passport card does not allow for international travel by air.

NY drivers licenses are valid for 8 years. We have EDLs and it already came in handy once when my partner accidentally did not pack his passport for a Caribbean cruise.

Edited by Boytjie

• 2 weeks later...

We're just renewing our Passports now.. Only getting the book as have no need for the card..

We also take photo copies of our Passports in addition to the book as well as photocopies of all our credit cards with the bank emergency phone Numbers with us..

Anyone know how long the Passport Office is taking to renew passports these days? We're not traveling until Nov. so have plenty of time..

Anyone know how long the Passport Office is taking to renew passports these days? We're not traveling until Nov. so have plenty of time..

I renewed about two months ago and it took about 3 weeks to get the passport back. I did not do any expedited service.

Originally Posted by serendipity1499 View Post

The spouse and I recently (this May) renewed our passport books and it took 5 and a half weeks for me to get mine back and 8 weeks for the spouse. They didn't like the spouse's glasses and we had to redo that, but it took 5 and a half weeks before we were notified of that. Yes we got the e-mail about the spouse's glasses the same day as I got my passport back.

So the moral of that story is; give yourself plenty of time in-case something goes amiss.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for that info.. Just downloaded the renewal form & will get our pictures this week..

Betty

I was wondering being you also live here in FL if you went in person or mailed in your renewal for passport's?

And, how long it took you - we are sailing a week after you on the Eurodam. I have had our passports sitting on my desk since we sailed her last November. Finally, getting it done :rolleyes:

Had our photo's done at CVS on Friday. Now to get the renewal taken care of too.