Sundries for Long Cruises

mame42

By following the advice of CC posters, I prepared well for my last long cruise (except forgetting to pack Tylenol). I kept a chart each time pre cruise that I opened a new tube/bottle in order to estimate the amount needed for six weeks. However, now another problem has me stumped: what to do with liquids such as Listerine or Plax. I estimate that I will use approximately two to three pints in three months, a bulky, heavy liquid weight to add to one's fifty pound weight limit for international flight. Any suggestions?

It looks like you are inquiring about the Passage to the Far East from the Netherlands. I suspect there are a lot of Dutch on your roll call, suggest you post there and ask for help in finding an appropriate source. You could also look for Boots Pharmacy in Southampton.

I would personally not want to trust the airlines with significant quantities of liquids that could make a mess of your clothes if spilled.

Roy

We stock up on liquid sundries (mouthwash, shampoo, even toothpaste) the day before we sail then put them into the big zip bags we bring with us. May pay a bit more at a Walgreens or similar store even if we have to take a cab (they will usually wait for us) but it is worth it. Have definite preferences in brands so do it this way. The carry on weighs a ton when we board but we have what we want.

Edited by take us away

Heeding the advice of both Roy and Take Us Away, I checked Boots UK online, and they do carry the brands that I use. Now... I wonder if I could order on line and have them deliverd to my pre cruise hotel. Hmmm...

The ship sells sundries in small sizes. You might pay a bit more but the convenience is worth it. Also, they carry a good line of face creams etc and they are duty free. I try to watch for the small sized toothpastes - .8 oz size ( 23 g) on sale. I take them out of the boxes and you can fit quite a few in a zip lock. Because the are less than 3 oz there is no problem taking them in your carry on. You can toss them as you use them up.

Heeding the advice of both Roy and Take Us Away, I checked Boots UK online, and they do carry the brands that I use. Now... I wonder if I could order on line and have them deliverd to my pre cruise hotel. Hmmm...

As long as you contact the hotel and you're within the vendor's delivery window, you should be fine. We used to do something similar for extended stays all the time. You might want to check with the hotel, too. They might be able to get the job done for less.

I tuck small toothpaste tubes and body cream tubes in my shoes. That way they will not get crushed. I put them in snack bags before tucking them in for added security.

When I 1st read your post casamariposa, I was shocked and had immediate thoughts of TSA locking you up as a potential terrorist... then came to my senses and realized that you were talking about your packed shoes... obviously need more coffee.... Thanks for the embarrassed chuckle!

Should work as Boots had delivery service a few years back, but it was in London. It should be listed on the website for the closest Boots, even if you have to do a fake purchase and cancel the purchase before payment. Does your hotel have a shuttle service you could use for shopping at Boots - may be worth checking

It won't help with things like mouthwash or toothpaste, but Lush and other companies make solid shampoo bars which are great for packing. I find one shampoo bar lasts over three months and is easy to pack. They also make solid conditioners and lotion bars, which are great for packing as well.

If your hotel is anywhere near central Southampton, it should be very easy. The Boots I usually use there is in the middle of the main shipping area of central Southampton, just outside the upper level of the central mall.

Roy

If your hotel is anywhere near central Southampton, it should be very easy. The Boots I usually use there is in the middle of the main shipping area of central Southampton, just outside the upper level of the central mall.

Roy

I will be at the Holiday Inn on Herbert Walker. Is that a reasonable walk to Boots? Especially in January.

The link worked! That looks doable, providing it is not raining or snowing.