Difference between stars and medallions

summer slope

What is the difference between your Mariner Stars and the Medallions I've been reading about?

The number of Stars is based upon "Mariner points". Basically you earn one point for every day on a HAL cruise, plus you get double points if in a "suite" cabin, plus you earn a point for every $300 you spend on your cruise (limit based on number of days of cruise). You can see the details on the HAL website. You earn "perks" depending on how many stars you have - again see the website.

Medallions are based solely on the number of days you sail with HAL. For 100 days you get a copper medallion, etc. No perks associated with the Medallions, other than getting a nice medallion and recognition onboard at a Mariner ceremony.

They have nothing to do with each other.

What is the difference between your Mariner Stars and the Medallions I've been reading about?

Deleted because DaveOKC answered better than I and He posted first:)

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

It does drive me crazy, though, that often at the medallion ceremony people are sometimes mentioned/recognized (those with a high number but not receiving a medallion) and their Mariner points are told. To me, HAL is guilty of contributing to the confusion between the programs. It has happened to me and when I've asked about it after the ceremony I was told it was because if they mentioned the lower number (medallion days) that people would complain. I also don't like that when you look at your cruise history on the Mariner status page they do not total all columns, just the points column so you don't know how close you are to a medallion without doing the math yourself.

I heard that the problem arose when the new Star program was introduce. At that time HAL was supposed to do away with the Medallion Program. However, many long time HAL cruisers complained, so they decided to just keep them both to keep everyone happy.

No kidding. It is a fiasco IMO.
We've brought it on ourselves. Originally the Star program was intended to completely replace the Medallion program, but too many complained that they wanted the medallions still because after you made 4-star (200 points) there was no further recognition levels. (5 star was added later.) So HAL then said they'd keep the Silver (300) Gold (500) and Platinum (700) levels ... and finally ended up keeping the Copper level too.

(Still typing when DaveOKC posted)

Edited by jtl513

We've brought it on ourselves. Originally the Star program was intended to completely replace the Medallion program, but too many complained that they wanted the medallions still because after you made 4-star (200 points) there was no further recognition levels. (5 star was added later.) So HAL then said they'd keep the Silver (300) Gold (500) and Platinum (700) levels ... and finally ended up keeping the Copper level too.

(Still typing when DaveOKC posted)

You need to learn how to type faster!

Besides, your information was more detailed than mine.

We have been on some ships where they recognize only the Star Mariners even though they gave out a few medallions. They would give the points of the highest star mariners.

Then on other ships they recognized only the medallion mariners and gave their actual sailing days.

It is no wonder people are confused.

DW and I were awarded our Bronze Medallions at the Mariners Luncheon aboard Maasdam last week. All of our immediate family had joined us on the cruise to celebrate DGS recent high school graduation. It was a nice moment for us, and the family.

But really, what's to confuse. Stars get you benefits (like discounts and free laundry). Medallions hang around you neck. ;)

Greg

You've been here long enough. We can get confused about anything. It's like our super power. ;)

But really, what's to confuse. Stars get you benefits (like discounts and free laundry). Medallions hang around you neck. ;)

Greg

It can be confusing. We attended a Mariner's Reception on our last cruise and coincidentally we were at just 500 days that day. They took our picture with the Captain, but no mention of a medallion. Afterword I asked the CD "Weren't we supposed to get a medal?" He suggested I ask the Mariner's Society lady who was there. She explained the difference in calculating days between the stars and the medallion. So maybe next cruise.

It can be confusing. We attended a Mariner's Reception on our last cruise and coincidentally we were at just 500 days that day. They took our picture with the Captain, but no mention of a medallion. Afterword I asked the CD "Weren't we supposed to get a medal?" He suggested I ask the Mariner's Society lady who was there. She explained the difference in calculating days between the stars and the medallion. So maybe next cruise.

If you have 500 "star points/days", you likely could still be aways from getting your 500 day Medallion. Check your account on the HAL's website.

I get the difference between the two categories. I realize you do not get the next star level during a cruise if you reach it then, but will on your next cruise. How about the medallions? If we are on for 19 days and the number of days for a medallion is reached in just 3 days do we wait until our next cruise for that as well?

I get the difference between the two categories. I realize you do not get the next star level during a cruise if you reach it then, but will on your next cruise. How about the medallions? If we are on for 19 days and the number of days for a medallion is reached in just 3 days do we wait until our next cruise for that as well?

You should get your medallion on the cruise in which you earned it. The upgraded star level kicks in on the following cruise.

You should get your medallion on the cruise in which you earned it. The upgraded star level kicks in on the following cruise.

See..... POA isn't confused.

He has it right. :)

Even now the Star Mariner Program (as publically announced) only goes to 500 days. Some of us are well over 800+ so the Medallion Program picks up where the Star Program stops.

I'm not quite as well-cruised as many here, but I understood the medallion would be awarded on the following cruise. In our case, we board at 99 days for two weeks, and I was told we would not receive our copper medallion until our next cruise. Am I incorrect in my thinking / understanding?

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Gerry

I'm not quite as well-cruised as many here, but I understood the medallion would be awarded on the following cruise. In our case, we board at 99 days for two weeks, and I was told we would not receive our copper medallion until our next cruise. Am I incorrect in my thinking / understanding?

Gerry

No. You should get the Copper medallion on the cruise on which you earned it. See post #18.

Dan

Gerry

You should get your medallion. We reached copper / bronze and 4 star on the same cruise. Got the medallion, but had to wait for the star.

I can only speak from our recent experience. My DW and I just finished a 22 day Collectors voyage on the Zuiderdam (May 17-June 8). When we boarded the ship we had accrued 86 actual cruise days and had 162 total credits toward 4-Star. During the first leg of the cruise, we were invited to a Mariner's presentation, and given our 100 day medallions. :) We didn't actually reach 100 days until several days later on that cruise.

At the end of the cruise, we are now have 108 cruise days, :) and 197 total credits :(. As previously stated, when you "level up", you don't get the perks until the following cruise. So we are 3 credits shy of 4-Star. for our next trip. Darn that 4-Explorer drink card. We were just $900 short of reaching 4-Star. :( Now I am looking for a 3 day quickie on the west coast! :p

Greg

No. You should get the Copper medallion on the cruise on which you earned it. See post #18.

Dan

You should get your medallion. We reached copper / bronze and 4 star on the same cruise. Got the medallion, but had to wait for the star.

This is one time I like being wrong !!!

Gerry

Gerry

You should get your Medallion during the cruise where you reach the level of days. Early in your cruise, confirm with the front office you expect to receive your Medallions. Print out your Mariners Page on the HAL site so you can show them the number of days HAL has recorded for you in case there is some confusion.

Congratulations on reaching the new level. :)