Is it possible to transfer ticket?

loraine

Just wondering if anyone has had to transfer trip to another person? There is a possibility my husband might get his holidays rescinded and not be able to make the cruise which is paid for. Can't find a policy on this. I realize there would be a fee but don't want to waste a spot.

No Tickets can't be given away..

However my friend was going on a HAL cruise several years ago with her DH.. But her DH passed away before the cruise.. She was able to take her Friend in his place but had to pay an extra fee which was quite high.. Forgot how much she had to pay as she did not purchase insurance..

Do you have insurance? If so check to see if insurance will cover your Husbands ticket.. This was HAL's posted cancellation policy several years ago:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1241254&highlight=cancellation+penality&page=9

Cancellation Policies

For most cruises and cruisetours, a refund (except for amounts paid for cancellation Protection Plan) will be made for written cancellations received by Holland America, 300 Elliott Ave. West, Seattle, WA 98119 at least 76 days before the date on which you are to commence travel (by air, rail, sea or otherwise). Passengers who cancel after that date for any reason, including medical or family reasons, are subject to the following per-person cancellation fees:

75-57 days before commencing travel: an amount equal to deposit requirement

56-29 days before commencing travel: 50% of gross fare

28-16 days before commencing travel: 75% of gross fare

15 days or less before commencing travel: 100% of gross fare

For certain cruises and cruisetours, different cancellation policies apply. Please consult the brochure for your cruise or cruisetour to confirm the applicable cancellation policy. Cancellation fees apply to the entire cruise booking, including cruise fare, non-commissionable fare, air add-ons, ground transfers, pre-cruise and post-cruise hotel and tour packages.

From Know Before You Go:

Name changes require the prior approval of Holland America Line and may not always be possible. Cruise contracts are nontransferable. Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.

Are you trying to replace your husband in the cabin with another person but you remain in the cabin? Or are you trying to transfer the entire cabin to someone else? the first is allowed with a fee. The second would be considered a cancellation and new booking. EM

Are you trying to replace your husband in the cabin with another person but you remain in the cabin? Or are you trying to transfer the entire cabin to someone else? the first is allowed with a fee. The second would be considered a cancellation and new booking. EM
They are both considered a cancellation.
From Know Before You Go:

Name changes and departure date changes are considered reservation cancellations and are subject to cancellation fees.

Honestly, just call them and ask. There's no harm in doing so and you'll get more accurate info than anyone here can give.

For instance, once DH and I were on a trip with my MIL and we wanted to fly home a day earlier. She called and asked about changing our flights and the airline was going to charge an enormous fee (change fee plus increase in rate). I called a little while later and spoke with a different rep and VERY sweetly explained our situation and we flew home early with a very minimal change fee with no rate change increase. MIL was floored.......:rolleyes:

Just ask.

Thanks everyone. Stacy if it is confirmed he can't go I will call. I am going regardless . if I can pay a few to change the passenger them at least it's not a complete waste!

Be very careful. They could very well charge you a single supplement if you go alone.

Just wondering if anyone has had to transfer trip to another person? There is a possibility my husband might get his holidays rescinded and not be able to make the cruise which is paid for. Can't find a policy on this. I realize there would be a fee but don't want to waste a spot.

Call HAL or your TA. They should know.

DON

Be very careful. They could very well charge you a single supplement if you go alone.

Surely they wouldn't charge for a single supplement if they don't allow her to transfer the ticket to someone else and she still takes the cruise alone (paying full fare for her cabin), would they?

This is where travel insurance with the work clause would come in handy, I suppose.

If I'm reading these posts correctly, if I advise HAL that my travelling companion is sick and can't make the cruise, not only do they not refund the fare, which seems quite reasonable, but they also ding me with a single supplement! :eek:

I could understand if they chose to refund the companion's fare then turned around and charged the supplement, and maybe a bit more for the (minor) additional administrative burden, but charging both is outright piracy. I do hope that I am missing something here.

BTW, what would happen if you checked in without your travelling companion and said nothing to HAL? If asked at checkin, simply saying that he/she was on a different flight and you don't know what happened? Would they have the temerity to charge you the supplement?

Surely they wouldn't charge for a single supplement if they don't allow her to transfer the ticket to someone else and she still takes the cruise alone (paying full fare for her cabin), would they?

This is where travel insurance with the work clause would come in handy, I suppose.

Unfortunately, yes they might charge single supplement in this circumstance.

Yes, they certainly do have the temerity to charge a single supplement, even though the cabin has been paid for two people, and the insurance does the reimbursement.

My sister-in-law was going to be charged the single supplement but decided to just cancel the trip when her friend broke her leg and had to cancel. They both had insurance so did get their money back.

They cruised to Alaska the following season on HAL, but it did cause a bit of consternation at the time. They weren't sure they wanted to book HAL a second time.

It's not always easy to make changes to an existing reservation (paid for or not), HAL is one line that cancels & rebooks rather than just making a change.

If both parties have insurance and one cancels for a reimbursable reason, the remaining party that is charged the single supplement could have that refunded by the insurance company.

This has happened to me. I cancelled because of my husband's illness. My traveling companion went in the cabin as a single. I received a refund for my portion. My traveling received reimbursement for the single supplement.

I seem to remember back in the mid 1980's in California there was a legal case against Carnival.

The Plaintiffs in the case had a medical emergency just before their cruise and wanted to transfer it to their children. Carnival said no transfer or name changes allowed and kept their money (no insurance).

As I recall the court ruled for the Plaintiffs and the State of California put Carnival on notice that if they didn't change the policy they would be stopped from selling any cruises in the State of California and their ships would not be allowed to dock in California.

I owned an agency at the time and just remember a lot if chatter about it within the industry. Has been a long time so don't remember the exact details.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, so I am traveling solo and paid the supplement AND got their premium coverage. If I were to cancel "right up to sail time" I would get 90% refunded according to what I read. Did I understand this correctly? There is no cabin mate... just me...the the solo supplement was ridiculously high. (VYR-HNL).

I made a change 3 weeks out 3 years ago. It cost me $50 to change the name - NBD. The bigger deal was the flight - that was definitely non-transferable, and the cost of the flight for my new travel companion was enormous. But, we had a great time, so it was definitely better than sitting out the cruise and losing all of the $$.

Okay, so I am traveling solo and paid the supplement AND got their premium coverage. If I were to cancel "right up to sail time" I would get 90% refunded according to what I read. Did I understand this correctly? There is no cabin mate... just me...the the solo supplement was ridiculously high. (VYR-HNL).

You would get 90% of the cruise fare. You would not get any of the insurance cost.