Lobster on Maasdam in New England

Adoremus

Last year, we had lobster in the MDR on the Veendam Canada/New England cruise. Plus, we had lobster rolls in the buffet one night. Also, they did poutine at the nacho bar by the grill on the afternoon we were in Quebec City. I'm not sure what the Maasdam will do, of course, but we did have lobster.

Sometimes we read they bring lobsters aboard on the Canada/NE cruises but far more often than otherwise, they don't. Plenty of places to have lobster lunch in just about all your ports. We love the lobsters in Bar Harbor, Halifax, Charlottetown (Mussels are wonderful in PEI)..... get lobsters for lunch and enjoy.

It would be very unusual for you to not have the usual MDR lobster tail like offered on all HAL cruises the last formal night.

Edited by sail7seas

We have done several different versions on Canada/New England and never we're good lobsters brought onto the ship.

Just the same small frozen ones that are available on all ships.

The surf and turf is served on the second formal night.

We were very unimpressed with the lobsters on the surf and turf. We will never order them again.

Edited by Stratheden

We have done several different versions on Canada/New England and never we're good lobsters brought onto the ship.

Just the same small frozen ones that are available on all ships.

My experience has been that it's more likely to get fresh lobster on the first or last (repositioning) cruises of the season than on the back-to-back or here-to-there/there-to-here cruises in the middle of season. That's not a guarantee that fresh lobster will be had on the repositioning cruises, or that it will not be on the mid-season cruises, it's just been my experience that it's more likely.

However, barring unusual forces of nature, there is not a lack of lobster available at many restaurants in the ports.

However, barring unusual forces of nature, there is not a lack of lobster available at many restaurants in the ports.

I agree with this statement. In the last couple of weeks most restaurants here in the Northeast are offering some type of lobster dish on their menu. The price of whole fresh lobster in my area is give or take $5.99 per pound and most lobster rolls are in the $15 range (w/fries & slaw). If you go out to a fancy restaurant for dinner most menus will list "Market Price" so ask your wait staff before ordering. My though is that price will remain steady throughout the Summer and Fall from the news articles I have been reading in my area.

bob

My experience has been that it's more likely to get fresh lobster on the first or last (repositioning) cruises of the season than on the back-to-back or here-to-there/there-to-here cruises in the middle of season. That's not a guarantee that fresh lobster will be had on the repositioning cruises, or that it will not be on the mid-season cruises, it's just been my experience that it's more likely.

We do not eat the lobster tails on the ships.

We are used to getting cold water lobster where we live.

When we did out various cruises, we ate quite a bit of lobster off the ship -- I even did a report one time about the various lobster rolls and how some places used more fillers than lobster and charged big prices.

We had "surf and turf" on one formal night of our repositioning cruise in May (on Maasdam). The lobster tail was "OK", certainly not great. We were able to order extra ones.

We also had lobster rolls one day in mid-afternoon in the Crows Nest. Not very good and I would skip them next time.

I have always had lobster tails on formal nights. Mist have been frozen tails. I meant that it has been my experience to have FRESH lobster tails on the ship on the repositioning cruises.

I never order lobster in MDR on the ships. I'm too used to wonderful fresh Maine lobsters and those frozen tails, cooked in puddles of butter, aren't to my taste.

I rarely have lobster rolls in port. I much prefer the whole steamed lobster to really taste the meat and not mayo, celery and sometimes even egg. :) Being a Bostonian all my life, I've eaten many the whole lobster. :)

You have never really has lobster until you have been in the ports of a Canada New England cruise. In Bar Harbor there are a number of restaurants at the top of the hill that feature the lobster rolls.

Every port after that you have access to lobster shacks where they haul the lobsters out of the water and into the steamers. Leave your coat and tie aboard the ship. A real lobster eater can eat a three pound lobster without touching the untinsles. This part of the world has the best cold water lobsters. It would be a sin to go all that way and not sample the local cooking ashore.

I

I had lobster in every port on that itinerary but in restaurants not the MDR. I'm another one who doesn't order lobster on board.

Hi Carol. Nice to see you posting. :)

You have never really has lobster until you have been in the ports of a Canada New England cruise. In Bar Harbor there are a number of restaurants at the top of the hill that feature the lobster rolls.

Every port after that you have access to lobster shacks where they haul the lobsters out of the water and into the steamers. Leave your coat and tie aboard the ship. A real lobster eater can eat a three pound lobster without touching the untinsles. This part of the world has the best cold water lobsters. It would be a sin to go all that way and not sample the local cooking ashore.

:) Ding, ding, ding...... We have a winner.

THAT is the way to eat a lobster !!! Don't bother with lobster rolls; don't bother with a fork. Don't bother with a chicken lobster (1 pound).

Do get at least 1 1/2 to 2 pounds and larger is just fine, too. :)

Do skip the butter. Eat the lobster at a picnic bench, in your jeans, with your (meticulously washed :D) fingers. :)

Edited by sail7seas

I forgot to mention that HAL brought on mussels in PEI while I was on the Veendam last year. They made them in the buffet. I'm not sure if they had them in the MDR, too, as I didn't go to MDR that night. The lobster roll on the ship was not that good, but they did have it. I had lobster roll in Bar Harbor and it was OK. Half my ports were cancelled, so I never did get the full meal in port. Another time....

Do they serve cold lobster or are they all served hot?

I love Australian Lobster but they are around $80 - $100 per kilo over here.

The surf and turf onboard the ship was not nice and I would never order it again.

Every time I've had whole lobster tails on the ship they have been hot, usually served in the traditional manner with drawn butter.

If you're lucky enough on a Canada/New England itineraries, there are fresh North Atlantic Lobster, commonly called Maine Lobster in the US or American Lobster in other places (wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lobster ). I have come back to the ship on tenders with fresh, live lobsters for dinner that night several times.

Sometimes, but not always, the frozen tails are Maine Lobster, others they are spiny southern Atlantic lobsters, also known as langouste or rock lobster (wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiny_lobster ).

I've never had lobster here in Australia (I moved from the US in 2011), but I know when restaurants advertise lobster it's not usually the Maine lobster I think of when I hear lobster.

I forgot to mention that HAL brought on mussels in PEI while I was on the Veendam last year. They made them in the buffet. I'm not sure if they had them in the MDR, too, as I didn't go to MDR that night. The lobster roll on the ship was not that good, but they did have it. I had lobster roll in Bar Harbor and it was OK. Half my ports were cancelled, so I never did get the full meal in port. Another time....

We had mussels also in PEI. The were done on the Lido by the pool in afternoon. They were great. We were on a back to back leaving on June 6th and we hoping to have the again on the return, but no such luck[emoji20][emoji20]

Every time I've had whole lobster tails on the ship they have been hot, usually served in the traditional manner with drawn butter.

If you're lucky enough on a Canada/New England itineraries, there are fresh North Atlantic Lobster, commonly called Maine Lobster in the US or American Lobster in other places (wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_lobster ). I have come back to the ship on tenders with fresh, live lobsters for dinner that night several times.

Sometimes, but not always, the frozen tails are Maine Lobster, others they are spiny southern Atlantic lobsters, also known as langouste or rock lobster (wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiny_lobster ).

I've never had lobster here in Australia (I moved from the US in 2011), but I know when restaurants advertise lobster it's not usually the Maine lobster I think of when I hear lobster.

I did a Canada New England cruise in May. The lobster was the usual Florida (?) lobster. I'd hate for posters to get the wrong idea about the lobster.

I did a Canada New England cruise in May. The lobster was the usual Florida (?) lobster. I'd hate for posters to get the wrong idea about the lobster.

I said:

I was trying to make sure everyone knew that sometimes the tails are Maine Lobster and others they are spiny lobster.

I also said that I find it more likely to get fresh Maine lobster on the repositioning cruises in May or October (beginning or end of the season), but it is a guarantee.

I thought I made myself clear. I am sorry if there was still room for misunderstanding.

Yum, just finished a nice lobster dinner at home. :) Picked up a couple of female hard-shell 1 1/2 pound live Nova Scotia lobsters at our local Sobey's for $7.99 a pound. Steamed 'em at home, clarified a bit of butter and opened up a nice chilled riesling. Perfect meal before reading this thread.