Head's up, HAL: Luminae is excellent!

scamper

Celebrity has added a suite-passenger-only dining room on some of it's ships that we enjoyed recently. So much so it makes me look at Celebrity first when booking future cruises. Everything about this venue is on as high par as Pinnacle. It is available to all suite passengers, from Sky Suites to Reflection Suites. It's a beautiful, and often quiet room (much like Pinnacle at breakfast) and the service staff really want you to enjoy it. This is something HAL needs to take a really close look at, really quickly. To me, everything about HAL and Celebrity are on par with one another, but, to me, Luminae will start pushing me in the direction of Celebrity.

Sadly HAL doesn't have enough specialty restaurants on their ships - not even on their new one coming out - to set aside one restaurant for just suite passengers.

I don't think that's such a "sad" thing. One of the things I like best about HAL is that once I leave my steerage cabin, no-one knows or treats me differently. I am not excluded from anywhere except the Neptune Lounge -- and having been in there, I really don't see the appeal of spending time in a windowless room.

I'm glad HAL is not considering this as of yet. Which is not to say they will not, but I really like being able to go (almost) everywhere and experience (almost) everything on the ship, even though I actually PREFER an ocean-view cabin low down and forward. I don't think HAL ships or the HAL experience would be improved by setting aside dining venues for the "haves" and "have-nots." (And yes, I know they already set aside the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast for the suite passengers.)

I don't think that's such a "sad" thing. One of the things I like best about HAL is that once I leave my steerage cabin, no-one knows or treats me differently. I am not excluded from anywhere except the Neptune Lounge -- and having been in there, I really don't see the appeal of spending time in a windowless room.

I'm glad HAL is not considering this as of yet. Which is not to say they will not, but I really like being able to go (almost) everywhere and experience (almost) everything on the ship, even though I actually PREFER an ocean-view cabin low down and forward. I don't think HAL ships or the HAL experience would be improved by setting aside dining venues for the "haves" and "have-nots." (And yes, I know they already set aside the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast for the suite passengers.)

TOTALLY AGREE - and also why I will not cruise Cunard.

My grandparents came over in steerage (with horrific stories of their treatment) and I prefer to not repeat their experience as somewhat morally opposed to a 'class system'!

Cannot see HAL doing this know many people in the President's Club and 5 star mariners who book inside cabins. I prefer an ocean view, lowest level, slightly forward to mid-ship cabin as I get seasick.

I agree. While I've enjoyed Blu in aqua class on X and the suite dining room on NCL, I am looking forward to an inside on our upcoming cruise. Cost of the cabins above OV was prohibitive and a nice dark cabin for sleeping will be perfect. We spend little time in the cabin on cruises and DH never sits on the balcony when we have one. X has taken the space for both Luminae and Blu out of the MDR making it very crowded. The newer NCL ships have designed space for the suite dining room rather than making the rest suffer for adding aqua and suite dining rooms. On our recently completed X cruise, we knew people who chose the MDR over the (paid for) Blu because the menus were more to their liking. There was a lot of lamb and duck which we don't care for on the Blu menu but we always found something to order....did like what we saw on the menu in MDR but didn't crash there.

We're giving Luminae a try in December. The X onboard all-inclusive booking incentives and availability of schedules far into the future continue to make it very attractive to keep booking some of our travel with Celebrity. The new dining room is just icing on the cake.

That said, Celebrity's main dining rooms on all classes of ships have usually seemed much more crowded, rushed and noisy to me than the HAL dining rooms, so Luminae may have been added to address that complaint for the suite passengers. And Celebrity really excels in their specialty dining in my opinion, though at a higher price than Pinnacle.

But I've found HAL's main dining room to be more peaceful, gracious and consistent, regardless of what cabin type you've booked. I've also had MUCH better stateroom service on HAL than in non-suite Celebrity rooms, especially when I've been in a lower-priced room on either line.

So in a way, the great HAL dining room and stateroom crew lessen the incentive for HAL passengers to upgrade to a suite.

The dining for suite only guests is something that prevents us from booking a cruise on Celebrity. We dislike the idea of creating a class system. We feel that no matter what type of cabin we choose to sail in, we should be able to dine in any restaurant we choose. Our money is just as good as that of someone in a suite. HAL, don't start a class system, please.

The dining for suite only guests is something that prevents us from booking a cruise on Celebrity. We dislike the idea of creating a class system. We feel that no matter what type of cabin we choose to sail in, we should be able to dine in any restaurant we choose. Our money is just as good as that of someone in a suite. HAL, don't start a class system, please.

Totally agree. I don't want to see a class system, either. It would really take away from the "family" feeling I get on HAL.

The "class system" already exists on HAL and every other cruise line. The Pinnacle restaurant is reserved only for suite passengers for breakfast, and the Neptune Lounge is only accessible for suite passengers. The retreat cabanas are only accessible if you pay for premium price. The posts above indicate that they are aware of it but don't consider it s "class system" which would cause them not to sail HAL?

Stating that one wouldn't cruise a particular cruise line because of lack of access to one area is a little over the top.

Edited by absolutboy20

The "class system" already exists on HAL and every other cruise line. The Pinnacle restaurant is reserved only for suite passengers for breakfast, and the Neptune Lounge is only accessible for suite passengers.

Stating that one wouldn't cruise a particular cruise line because of lack of access to one area is a little over the top.

Yes, but it is not "in your face" the way it is on, say, Cunard. I was just on a segment of the Queen Vic's World Cruise and a large section of the quiet lounge was roped off during the day for only those on the entire World Cruise. It has also been my experience that the more a line encourages a class system, the more passengers take it to heart and interaction becomes clickish. Makes me feel like I'm back in high school.

If you look at our cruise list you will see we cruised "X" rather regularly. In fact, we have a better "Status" (so-called "Elite") on "X" than our three-star on HAL.

The last few trips on "X" however have been less than satisfying. While I am sure this new venue for their high-dollar cabins is wonderful, we would not be staying in those cabins as we would rather take three trips than one. Meanwhile, X's main dining room food AND SERVICE continue to decline.

We enjoy the overall more consistent food on HAL and how nearly all crewmembers seem to bend over backwards to take care of needs we don't even know we have! It would take a very exceptional itinerary along with a very attractive price to get us back on "X" anytime soon.

Yes, but it is not "in your face" the way it is on, say, Cunard. I was just on a segment of the Queen Vic's World Cruise and a large section of the quiet lounge was roped off during the day for only those on the entire World Cruise. It has also been my experience that the more a line encourages a class system, the more passengers take it to heart and interaction becomes clickish. Makes me feel like I'm back in high school.

Absolutely agree with you!

We were on Cunard and we spent a lot of money but we also felt a cast system and not interested, we felt like we were on the Titanic. Also agree we a post in regards to Neptune lounge. For us boring and who wants to be in a windowless room! But that is my opinion. Love Neptune suites,but not the lounge.

Denise:)

As if HAL's dining room staff isn't already spread thin enough? :eek: To take more stewards away to staff an exclusive dining room for suite passengers would only make it worse.

True, there would be passengers leaving the dining room, too, but I don't believe for one minute that the staffing/passenger ratio would be the same.

Coverage in the dining room, when stewards are out sick would be more difficult, too.

If it's good enough for Celebrity, let those who like this system sail Celebrity. It's not good enough for HAL.

The "class system" already exists on HAL and every other cruise line. The Pinnacle restaurant is reserved only for suite passengers for breakfast, and the Neptune Lounge is only accessible for suite passengers. The retreat cabanas are only accessible if you pay for premium price. The posts above indicate that they are aware of it but don't consider it s "class system" which would cause them not to sail HAL?

Maybe it's a generational thing. I personally do not like it and yes, I am less likely to sail on ships that have a significant differentiation in services between various "classes" of passengers based on cabin category.

However...

Cabanas can be purchased by anyone from any cabin category -- hence, to me, not a class system. I may not like it, but it's not really discriminatory.

If you look at our cruise list you will see we cruised "X" rather regularly. In fact, we have a better "Status" (so-called "Elite") on "X" than our three-star on HAL.

The last few trips on "X" however have been less than satisfying. While I am sure this new venue for their high-dollar cabins is wonderful, we would not be staying in those cabins as we would rather take three trips than one. Meanwhile, X's main dining room food AND SERVICE continue to decline.

We enjoy the overall more consistent food on HAL and how nearly all crewmembers seem to bend over backwards to take care of needs we don't even know we have! It would take a very exceptional itinerary along with a very attractive price to get us back on "X" anytime soon.

X is becoming an upper/lower class cruise line for sure. I'm a pay-for-your-perks believer, and I never begrudge those who are paying $$$$ for their cruises to have additional perks or dining venues included as part of the cruise fare. The MDR on X is horrible and was overcrowded long before Luminae was carved out as a separate DR. Overall, the same number of passengers is being served in essentially the same area. It's just that the configuration of those Dining Rooms leads people to believe that it is more crowded in the MDR.

Our next cruise is on X in Aqua Class so we will have access to Blu which IMO is much better than the MDR in menu choices and ambiance. The price and itinerary were all very favorable, plus the additional perks (complimentary beverage package, prepaid gratuities and a lot of OBC) made it a no-brainer for us. We would not have booked without those perks being offered, and I personally would not choose to cruise in anything less than AQ on X due to their 2-tiered system. There is a noticeable difference.

HAL provides a very egalitarian experience and their MDR offerings are very good. I just wish they had more staff to ease the workload of the dining room stewards. Ditto that for the HAL room stewards who are very good but overworked. I do agree that service overall on X is not great in comparison, but I've also found that across all the cruise lines that we've experienced in the last 5 years, there isn't one that does everything perfectly at similar cruise price points. We adjust our expectations accordingly and have good time regardless.

Cabanas can be purchased by anyone from any cabin category -- hence, to me, not a class system. I may not like it, but it's not really discriminatory.

A person who could not budget the extra expense for the use of cabanas would argue that these spaces are taking away from the areas that were available to all HAL passengers, not just the ones who are willing to pay the premium for the private experience. Your stating cabanas can be purchased by anyone, well suites can be purchased by anyone, it's just a matter of what one values/doesn't value and of course budget for their cruising experience.

Edited by absolutboy20

As someone who's had everything from inside cabins (mostly) to Neptune Suites, I can see both points of view. I don't begrudge other cruisers anything they've paid a premium to use and enjoy.

If cruise lines are going to continue to charge premium prices for certain staterooms, they're going to have to offer more than just larger cabins. My favorite perk of being in a Neptune Suite is the Pinnacle Grill breakfast, followed by the Neptune Lounge.

Roz

A person who could not budget the extra expense for the use of cabanas would argue that these spaces are taking away from the areas that were available to all HAL passengers, not just the ones who are willing to pay the premium for the private experience. Your stating cabanas can be purchased by anyone, well suites can be purchased by anyone, it's just a matter of what one values/doesn't value and of course budget for their cruising experience.

I don't think its an "argument;" the cabana areas, particularly around the swimming pool, did take away space from from what was previously available to the general public.

I don't think its an "argument;" the cabana areas, particularly around the swimming pool, did take away space from from what was previously available to the general public.

That's a tough one. The Lido cabana areas were never available to the public They were purpose built. They weren't available to everyone, and then suddenly yanked out of service. You can make that case for the Retreat Cabanas that we're added as part of a retrofit, but not for the ones on the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam.

There are still quite a few cruise lines without restricted, private areas. However, Norwegian has them, and Carnival will when the Vista launches. It's probably going to be a trend. Head to the Cunard board. They've had several classes for years.

What I'm not in favor of is a return to the "class system" as particularly pertains to cruising -- e.g., having areas where ONLY suite passengers (or any other special group) are allowed access without any possibility of passengers from other areas (a.k.a. steerage ;)) being allowed same access.

If both groups have to pay for the privilege, that's one thing. Another thing entirely to take it off the table completely unless you are in a suite...IMO.

Edited by cruisemom42

I see from your signature that you sailed Reflection in December 2014, as did we. Our MDR food experience was the best of any of our 27 cruises. It just shows that food is extremely subjective. It also shows, I believe, that the experience is different ship to ship, cruise to cruise.

We are anxious to try this new Luminae; the preliminary reports have been that it is outstanding.