Which is Port Side and WEhich is Starboard Side

Jeter02

I always get the two mixed up, and never can remember which is which.

Which cabins are port side, and which are starboard (odd or even number cabins)

Thanks!

As others have said ... Left (four letters) = Port (four letters) The navigation lights on a ship are red on the port side and green on the starboard. Princess helps people know what side of the ship they are on by having a red (port wine color) center down the carpets on the "port" side of the ship. The carpet on the starboard side are greenish-blue.

If you remember "The Captain left the red wine back in port" it will tie the whole thing together (left=red=port). It's a sailor thing!

Enjoy!

If you are standing facing the front of the ship, port is on the left and starboard on your right.
...and the front of the ship is the bow ( pronounced like what an actor does at the end of a play), And the rear of the ship is the stern.

I suppose you could remember that a stern parent goes for the rear of their children to administer correction, but there is probably a better mnemonic...

Wow Whimsy!!! It must be an Illinois thing. I entered this thread to give the exact same answer as you did. Really thought this was quite immature of me to think of something so simple! It drives my husband nuts that I always seem to know which side is which. Well kept secret seems to be out.

Wow Whimsy!!! It must be an Illinois thing. I entered this thread to give the exact same answer as you did. Really thought this was quite immature of me to think of something so simple! It drives my husband nuts that I always seem to know which side is which. Well kept secret seems to be out.

Driving husbands nuts because we know everything must be an Illinois thing too! :D

As others have said ... Left (four letters) = Port (four letters) The navigation lights on a ship are red on the port side and green on the starboard. Princess helps people know what side of the ship they are on by having a red (port wine color) center down the carpets on the "port" side of the ship. The carpet on the starboard side are greenish-blue.

If you remember "The Captain left the red wine back in port" it will tie the whole thing together (left=red=port). It's a sailor thing!

Enjoy!

They also help by having odd number and even numbered cabins on the each side of their ships.

The easiest way to remember is the following:

Port is Red - (as in the drink) and also left on a ship, but NEVER left in a glass.

Therefore Starboard has to be Green and on the right of the ship.

And, "green" also gives you the "right" of way and......"even" (as in even

numbered cabins) is four letters like "port" and "left".

Now - you should be thoroughly confused !!!:D:D

I learned that the word "posh" derived from the English travelling by boat to India. To have the cabins with the least sun exposure they booked it PO-SH. Port Out and Starboard Home. Of course, not everyone majored in geography like I did. But of course, down in the bowels of the ship, knowing what way is forward and what way is aft can be troublesome.

I learned that the word "posh" derived from the English travelling by boat to India. To have the cabins with the least sun exposure they booked it PO-SH. Port Out and Starboard Home. Of course, not everyone majored in geography like I did. But of course, down in the bowels of the ship, knowing what way is forward and what way is aft can be troublesome.

I too was taught this, but sadly it's probably not true. If you think about the route which would have been taken from Britain to what was then the Empire of India, the ships would have sailed south down the Atlantic coast of Africa, round the Cape of Good Hope, then north up to India. Hence, each side of the ship would spend more or less half the time facing east and half facing west, and the same during the return sailing.

Lets cover all bases:

Left = 4 letters, right = 5 letters

fork = 4 letters, knife = 5 letters spoon = 5 letters

hook = 4 letters, slice = 5 letters

port = 4 letters, starboard = 9 letters

If you hit it, fly it, place it, sail it and it has for letters it went LEFT.

Now as to port and starboard. Back over 1000 year or so ago many of the ships had the rudder on the right side of the ship it was called the starboard;). That's why they put the left side of the ship against the dock or portside.

framer

Lets cover all bases:

Left = 4 letters, right = 5 letters

fork = 4 letters, knife = 5 letters spoon = 5 letters

hook = 4 letters, slice = 5 letters

port = 4 letters, starboard = 9 letters

If you hit it, fly it, place it, sail it and it has for letters it went LEFT.

Now as to port and starboard. Back over 1000 year or so ago many of the ships had the rudder on the right side of the ship it was called the starboard. That why they put the left side of the ship against the dock or portside.

framer

Enjoy!

The Captain analogy was the very best I've ever heard......I'll NEVER forget it now.

Now when I'm on the ship and I'm walking down the center of the Promenade and the ship is not moving any suggestions as to how I will know if I'm walking forward or aft?

Archived