What is a Motu?

Luckyladyh

I have "googled" it - and can't seem to find an accurate description. Is it a beach?

Someone said go to the Motu in Moorea - but what is it - and how do you get there? We are on the PG Ship.

Wondering if this is an excursion or you just get a cab to a specific place - if so - where?

Thanks!

A motu is a Polynesian reef islet with vegetation; like a very small island.

If you are on the PG, you will have a stop at Taha'a, and can take a tender to Motu Mahana, where you have lunch and drinks.

There are many motus, and you need to take a boat to get there. PG offers an excursion to a motu during the Moorea stop. The description of the excursion may be helpful to you.

Edited by 6rugrats

If you are on the PG you can visit several Motus.

Motu Mahana which is a private motu where they have a beach barbecue.

The Bora Bora Motu which has no facilities except a beach hut for water and beer but tenders to and from are free and you can go throughout the day.

You can also go for a Motu Picnic in Bora Bora or Fakarava if you are on a ten day trip. A motu picnic is a worthwhile experience.

Moorea has a motu opposite the Moorea IC. However, you have to take a tender there and back as well as taxi to the IC from where the tender leaves. I prefer instead to go to a beach in Moorea. Either at the Hilton ( day rate approximately $80 per person including lunch) or the Sofitel ( my favourite) Day room rate $160 no meals. I love the Sofitel beach its expansive and very quiet. They also make an excellent croque monsieur. Most times there is no one on the beach and thats what I love about it. Hilton snorkelling is good also massages (for a fee). If you want a beach without a day rate then go to Les Tipanniers. I dont care for the location of the beach but there is a restaurant there where you can have decent meals.

Wherever you go in Moorea make sure your cab driver knows when to pick you up. You cannot just stand by the road and flag a cab and places like Les Tip refused to call a cab for us.

Edited by Emdee

• 2 years later...

Dear Friends,

Thank you for great info about the beautiful island, MPA Tiahura Motu offshore from the InterContinental Moorea. We'll be in Moorea soon.

QUESTION: Please can anyone tell me, what's the name of the company and maybe their email or website, that runs the tender/ferry boat from the IC to Tiahura Motu? Or do I book it by calling the IC hotel?:)

Dear Friends,

Thank you for great info about the beautiful island, MPA Tiahura Motu offshore from the InterContinental Moorea. We'll be in Moorea soon.

QUESTION: Please can anyone tell me, what's the name of the company and maybe their email or website, that runs the tender/ferry boat from the IC to Tiahura Motu? Or do I book it by calling the IC hotel?:)

You can go to the motu several ways. From the IC Moorea. (email the desk to confirm times). From Les Tipaniers ... boat shulle, about $15 R/T per person. Plus there is a boat shuttle from a place right next to the IC Moorea which operates Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. They have a PU shuttle that will come and get you but you must call once your on the island 725 726. Forget the price.