Help!! How not to overpack for Alaska cruise.

Leaving this weekend, and packing layers, but mind over matter I keep double guessing and don't want to have to little or too much! And don't even start about the boys- they have so much. I have raincoat, fleece and thin puffy jacket that folds into its pocket. Tennis shoes x2, as I don't have boots, and sandals (it is summer isn't it?) Dinner ware, and daywear, argh... any and all suggestions thanks

I took a hoodie, windbreaker, scarf & hat (didn't use the hat). Wore the windbreaker over the hoodie one day. Wore jeans & tennis shoes (1 pair) during day. Check the weather forecast & you may be able to eliminate stuff. Ketikhan forecast for next week has highs from low 60's to low 70's and low temps in the mid 50 s.

For alaska, one thing that helps with not overpacking is knowing that overall people dress more casual. We have been several times and on 3 different lines, and compared to all the cruises we have done, it's more relaxed. I highly doubt u will need the warm gear, this time of year. We have always traveled in spring when weather is less predictable, and typically colder, yet never actually needed boots, etc. taking a thin pair of gloves and hat to pair with a lighter jacket, will add warmth with less bulk then warmer jacket. Grab dollar store Disposable rain jackets, easy to toss in purse, and require less room then umbrella. And yes layers r best. Hope this helps a little.

Don't bother with summer clothing, unless you want to wear it on the ship. No use for sandles, shorts or tanktops. It did drizzle & rain on us. A rain poncho will help.

Not too many people dressed up and dinner was never very formal.

They had blankets and we wrapped ourselves in that, when we went on deck to see the glacier.

Dress in layers!

Check the temp before you leave. Our first Alaskan cruise we wore T's and shorts. Second cruise, exactly a year later, it was 40F and wet.

Wear thin layers. I wore silk thermal, long or short sleeved tshirt, sweater, rain jacket.

Mix and match colors- neutral bottoms, tops go with all bottoms.

Edited by SadieN

I have two suitcases going right now, one regular to small and the other is a decent backpack. I am splitting everything, half to the suitcase and half to the back pack. When the back pack gets full, I am done. After much reading, it seems that sweaters stay home, and sweatshirts are a go, the heavy coat stays, the light weight l l bean vest goes, and a scarf type wrap goes, but the heavy long dresses stay home.

It's the shoes I am having a quandary with. if you only take one good pair of walking shoes, and they get wet, you need another pair to wear. I love my SAS sandals, I wear them all the time, so I want to take them, but they will look dorky at dinner.

Edited by marshhawk

Use those Space Bags to pack the bulky things and suck out the air.

They will be selling fleece things on board and in all the stores, if you like sweats and jackets with embroidered "Alaska" on them. (I have long since passed the time where I like to wear things with logos and my favorite team or vacation spot on them, but you need to know it's available).

You have to be prepared in Alaska because the weather can be anything. In Ketchikan first time it was cold and rainy and windy. Next time it was totally clear blue and sunny and warm (almost hot) which made our planned day of kayaking even more wonderful. Both times were end of August.

The coldest you'll likely be is the glacier cruising day. I packed thin gloves and neck warmer and hat and wore all my layers and STILL used a Celebrity wool blanket over it all. We went through carafes of hot chocolate and tea.

In all fairness, I *did* wear sandals on the cruise, inside the ship. And I wore them in Victoria when we went out.

Edited by ClaudiaB

Oh, Sunset, I hope you have a good sense of humor because I cannot resist.

Leaving this weekend, and packing layers, but mind over matter I keep double guessing and don't want to have to little or too much! And don't even start about the boys- they have so much. I have raincoat, fleece and thin puffy jacket that folds into its pocket. Tennis shoes x2, as I don't have boots, and sandals (it is summer isn't it?) Dinner ware, and daywear, argh... any and all suggestions thanks

You can unpack all the dinnerware. They have plenty of plates and utensils on the ship, and it is included in the price of your ticket.

:D

Am I the only person who went to Alaska and didn't pack hiking boots? I just wore my normal sneakers that I wore on the plane and had no issues going on any excursions. I think I wore my sneakers on the plane, packed a pair of flip flops, formal night shoes, and regular night shoes. As for the clothing, I think I took one fleece and a sweatshirt and just alternated between them. We were there in May, had absolutely no rain, and if anything we should have taken more warm stuff cause it was actually really warm.

My best purchase before our first cruise to Alaska was heavy duty rain ponchos. They kept us a lot drier than the people with the flimsy dollar store variety. I also love my waterproof Timberland shoes. I did wear shorts some days when it was pretty. The only really cold time is at the glaciers. I wore a T-shirt, long-sleeved shirt, sweatshirt, and windbreaker jacket plus had a knit hat and warm gloves. I am always amazed at the number of people who aren't dressed warmly enough to view the glaciers and consequently don't stay out on deck very long.

Am I the only person who went to Alaska and didn't pack hiking boots? I just wore my normal sneakers that I wore on the plane and had no issues going on any excursions. I think I wore my sneakers on the plane, packed a pair of flip flops, formal night shoes, and regular night shoes. As for the clothing, I think I took one fleece and a sweatshirt and just alternated between them. We were there in May, had absolutely no rain, and if anything we should have taken more warm stuff cause it was actually really warm.

We've done btb, where first week was cold, rainy and miserable, then very next week were shocked. Sun shinning, warm, could of wore shorts if packed them. We felt very sorry for those who were on the first week only.the 2 cruises didn't compare.

And u agree no need for boots ( unless u love yours, as there fashionable and comfy and find all runners comfortable like me )

We won the over packing challenge simply by limiting ourselves to a smaller bag.

This forced us to pack layered clothing only. It was a challenge at first but now we are so happy that we bit the bullet and did it.