What to do if Southwest cancels flight?

egvra76

How do SouthWest handle flight cancellation/delays? Do they simply put you on the next available ?It's our first time on SW on a direct flight, touching down 1 day before our cruise, i've read their policy online but i'm more inclined on learning from cruisers with firsthand experiences. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How do SouthWest handle flight cancellation/delays? Do they simply put you on the next available ?It's our first time on SW on a direct flight, touching down 1 day before our cruise, i've read their policy online but i'm more inclined on learning from cruisers with firsthand experiences. Thanks in advance.

I had this issue in March of this year. Southwest cancelled my flight out on Thursday about 10pm on Wednesday w/ only an e-mail notification. Good thing I checked my e-mail before bed since my flight was at 5:30 am. Their only solution was to try to get me on a flight Friday morning. Since I was meeting my 22 y/o nice in San Juan on Thursday that wasn't an option. I had to rebook on Delta to get down there.

Then on the return flight when I went to check in at the airport they had cancelled my flight. Said they could possibly get me on a rescheduled flight at 8pm to Orlando then back to my final destination the following day. Others were told they couldn't get a new flight until Tuesday. And since they said it was weather they weren't giving any type of compensation for hotels or anything. Again, rebooked on Delta to get home that day.

Not taking a chance this December so flying Delta the entire way.

I had this issue in March of this year. Southwest cancelled my flight out on Thursday about 10pm on Wednesday w/ only an e-mail notification. Good thing I checked my e-mail before bed since my flight was at 5:30 am. Their only solution was to try to get me on a flight Friday morning. Since I was meeting my 22 y/o nice in San Juan on Thursday that wasn't an option. I had to rebook on Delta to get down there.

Then on the return flight when I went to check in at the airport they had cancelled my flight. Said they could possibly get me on a rescheduled flight at 8pm to Orlando then back to my final destination the following day. Others were told they couldn't get a new flight until Tuesday. And since they said it was weather they weren't giving any type of compensation for hotels or anything. Again, rebooked on Delta to get home that day.

Not taking a chance this December so flying Delta the entire way.

I'm getting the impression that you ended up paying Delta on your own and all is lost on SW?

I'm getting the impression that you ended up paying Delta on your own and all is lost on SW?

No, southwest did refund my fare since they cancelled the flight however I did end up paying way more for last minute on Delta.

No, southwest did refund my fare since they cancelled the flight however I did end up paying way more for last minute on Delta.

There's multiple lessons to be learned here.

Of course, the most important one is to never fly in on the day of a cruise departure. Even only one day ahead is not a good idea. The current nature of air travel is that there are few "open seats" on the next flight (or the one after it) and whatever is available will go to those cancelled folks who paid top dollar for the original fare and/or who are high level frequent flyers. And, yes, if you are rebooked on the same airline, it could be two days before you're back on their plane.

If the airline is part of a group like Star Alliance (e.g., United, Lufthansa), you could ask for "assignment" of your ticket to a partner carrier with space on a closer departure schedule. In some situations, you might even be able to get assignment to a non-partner carrier. Whether there may be a price differential charge depends on a variety of circumstances. But, it never hurts to ask. Time was, years ago, it was also advisable to have a paper ticket instead of e-tix because of the incompatibility of reservation systems (particularly in third world locations) and the difficulty that presented to reassignment. Now retired (and only flying for pleasure), I don't know if that's still a major concern.

Though "a buck is a buck," there is something to be said about carrier loyalty. Minimally, you should join as many frequent traveler programs as you might use (or at least one airline in each major alliance group) and do your best to book with one of those airlines (even if it's a few dollars more). I mention this if for no other reason than it might get you one step closer in the rebooking priority. And there are other tangible benefits, especially if you carry/use an alliance carrier's credit card (we use United's Explorer Visa).

A few other items:

Familiarize yourself with the government regulations regarding reimbursement for flights cancelled/bumped (unrelated to weather or other non-airline factors).

Look for travel insurance that covers rebooking price difference charges (not many policies do).

Don't believe that air tix purchased via the cruise line will result in a ship waiting or the cruise line paying for you to travel to a catch-up port.

If you get stuck at an airport overnight for weather, or other reasons not the reimbursable fault of your airline, ask the gate attendant if they have discount vouchers for airport area hotels, meals, etc. (also, install the "hotels tonight" app on your cell phone. (I've saved many hotel dollars this way during winter connections at ORD).

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

It depends on how many flights they offer for your destination. I had an issue with them years ago where my flight was canceled at 8pm on a Friday... they could not get me home until Monday afternoon and the hotel was at my (companies) expense.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

There's multiple lessons to be learned here.

Of course, the most important one is to never fly in on the day of a cruise departure. Even only one day ahead is not a good idea. The current nature of air travel is that there are few "open seats" on the next flight (or the one after it) and whatever is available will go to those cancelled folks who paid top dollar for the original fare and/or who are high level frequent flyers. And, yes, if you are rebooked on the same airline, it could be two days before you're back on their plane.

If the airline is part of a group like Star Alliance (e.g., United, Lufthansa), you could ask for "assignment" of your ticket to a partner carrier with space on a closer departure schedule. In some situations, you might even be able to get assignment to a non-partner carrier. Whether there may be a price differential charge depends on a variety of circumstances. But, it never hurts to ask. Time was, years ago, it was also advisable to have a paper ticket instead of e-tix because of the incompatibility of reservation systems (particularly in third world locations) and the difficulty that presented to reassignment. Now retired (and only flying for pleasure), I don't know if that's still a major concern.

Though "a buck is a buck," there is something to be said about carrier loyalty. Minimally, you should join as many frequent traveler programs as you might use (or at least one airline in each major alliance group) and do your best to book with one of those airlines (even if it's a few dollars more). I mention this if for no other reason than it might get you one step closer in the rebooking priority. And there are other tangible benefits, especially if you carry/use an alliance carrier's credit card (we use United's Explorer Visa).

A few other items:

Familiarize yourself with the government regulations regarding reimbursement for flights cancelled/bumped (unrelated to weather or other non-airline factors).

Look for travel insurance that covers rebooking price difference charges (not many policies do).

Don't believe that air tix purchased via the cruise line will result in a ship waiting or the cruise line paying for you to travel to a catch-up port.

If you get stuck at an airport overnight for weather, or other reasons not the reimbursable fault of your airline, ask the gate attendant if they have discount vouchers for airport area hotels, meals, etc. (also, install the "hotels tonight" app on your cell phone. (I've saved many hotel dollars this way during winter connections at ORD).

I did picked up a lot of good points from this, thank you:).

It depends on how many flights they offer for your destination. I had an issue with them years ago where my flight was canceled at 8pm on a Friday... they could not get me home until Monday afternoon and the hotel was at my (companies) expense.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 7 edge using Tapatalk.

There's a lot of SW flights going out to my destination at that day, mine btw is scheduled at the earliest (5:30 am), I've experienced delays before but not as ridiculous as the one that you mentioned and other instances I saw on TV (Southwest Outage) recently. I'm contemplating right now if I should just cancel(SW)and save the funds for future travel where there's no cruise involved, and just absorb the exorbitant price that my local airline is offering. Thanks for sharing:)

There's a lot of SW flights going out to my destination at that day, mine btw is scheduled at the earliest (5:30 am), I've experienced delays before but not as ridiculous as the one that you mentioned and other instances I saw on TV (Southwest Outage) recently. I'm contemplating right now if I should just cancel(SW)and save the funds for future travel where there's no cruise involved, and just absorb the exorbitant price that my local airline is offering. Thanks for sharing:)

When are you going? During the winter where storms may cause problems then maybe change. But if there are many other flights going to your destination and you are the first flight out and it's direct you have a better chance. Do you have a cushion or are you flying in the day of the cruise?

I used them last year and had no issues. This year was just a fiasco for some reason and since there are limited flights to my end destination I decided not to take the chance and price on Delta (even for Delta Comfort) was about the same as Southwest I decided to go w/ them for more protection.

When are you going? During the winter where storms may cause problems then maybe change. But if there are many other flights going to your destination and you are the first flight out and it's direct you have a better chance. Do you have a cushion or are you flying in the day of the cruise?

I used them last year and had no issues. This year was just a fiasco for some reason and since there are limited flights to my end destination I decided not to take the chance and price on Delta (even for Delta Comfort) was about the same as Southwest I decided to go w/ them for more protection.

Buffalo to FLL 5:30 am non-stop and we're flying 1 day before the cruise on the last week of October, from Toronto btw, never flown from any US airport before but took my chances because the fare and flight times are hard to ignore.. Plus the glamorous reviews of SW prior to this fiasco.

Buffalo to FLL 5:30 am non-stop and we're flying 1 day before the cruise on the last week of October, from Toronto btw, never flown from any US airport before but took my chances because the fare and flight times are hard to ignore.. Plus the glamorous reviews of SW prior to this fiasco.

I would think you'd be fine at the end of Oct especially w/ direct flights. Early enough that no major snowstorms may cause an issue and hurricanes/tropical storms are pretty much done by then. Also w/ a direct flight even if delayed for weather they may still go since the plane probably needs to end up in FLL for other flights. For that I'd just stick w/ them.

I fly out of Buffalo whenever I have the option (from Fort Erie). it's much more convenient than Toronto, as its a domestic flight at that point instead of an international - no customs, just security.

The last time I flew SouthWest to Florida was early December and we had no problems. we also had the first flight of the day with multiple other options available if it was missed/delayed. I think flying out one day ahead pre-cruise for this route is plenty - and we were risking a snow storm! if there isn't a flight - worse case scenario, its a 20 hour drive :)

Since Delta is already thrown into the mix, they do offer flights from my airport, lots of them but those that stood out for me are itineraries that have layovers that which i think are too tight for comfort e.g 1hr at LaGuardia and i even saw 50 mins at ATL. I'm just processing all right now, pls bear with me.. thanks!

I fly Southwest whenever possible, and have found their service to be above and beyond that of most other airlines. Since Southwest has numerous other flights that day, the odds are good that you would be accommodated on one of them. If they can't get you on one of their flights, know what other flights are available, and ask if they will endorse your ticket over to that airline. Southwest is much larger than most "discount carriers," and doesn't charge extra for luggage, seats, check-in, etc.

I fly Southwest whenever possible, and have found their service to be above and beyond that of most other airlines. Since Southwest has numerous other flights that day, the odds are good that you would be accommodated on one of them. If they can't get you on one of their flights, know what other flights are available, and ask if they will endorse your ticket over to that airline. Southwest is much larger than most "discount carriers," and doesn't charge extra for luggage, seats, check-in, etc.

Are you absolutely sure WN endorses tickets over to other airlines??? Please provide the website site of this from WN. WN has no alliances nor interlining with other airlines.

Even with other WN flights during the day if yours is CXL'd - you have to hope there is a seat (or as many seats as you need) on one of those flights. AND, you'll be competing with all those other passengers from your flight. That's how you end up not being accommodated until the next day (or later).

My WN story: it was weather-related. 2 hour flight, but destination was fogged in. Flight flew and circled as long as it had sufficient fuel at destination until it had to break off and fly to LAS for fuel around midnight. Crew timed out and no others available. Ground crew told us to find hotels ourselves (which I knew I had to do with WX condition) or sleep in the airport and to call a number at 6am to find out when we would be going out. No re-ticketing or re-accomdation was offered at that time, just call the number. Left us all standing at the gate without information regarding any luggage left on the plane. Fortunately, I knew enough to call a nearby hotel and ask for a "distressed passenger" rate due to the airline hiccup. Called "the number" at 6am, to find they had the flight going out at 6:30am!!!!! Thanks Southwest - no way to get to the gate from a dead sleep that fast. Had to argue and fight (as did many others) to get on another flight home that day...

Edited by slidergirl

When things run smoothly they are great. But when they cancel its a nightmare. Your situation in what looks like a major hub w/ multiple flights I may risk it. My situation unless price is very different or I don't have reservations on the other end I can't see taking the risk

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm hoping Southwest has worked out all its kinks by the time we fly to Seattle next month. We're flying in two nights ahead of our cruise. All airlines have problems with flights from time to time. Delta is the one that canceled one of our return flights after an Alaskan cruise. Fortunately it was with enough notification, several weeks, that we could book a different return flight.

I would like to share these 3 options that i've been weighing-in the past couple of hours:

A.)Fly Star Alliance from my home port to FLL.

Pros: Least likely to be cancelled and even it does, they have an effective contingency plan.

Cons: Twice the price.

B.)Fly Delta airlines from home port to West Palm Beach

Pros: Price isn't much from what i paid at WN and West Palm had very good reviews.

Cons: A bit far from Port Everglades and the layovers(in LGA)are a bit short.(got 3 kids btw)

C.) Stick to Southwest and fly 2 days early instead.

Cons: Extra $$ on hotel and meals(5 of us).,and based on what i witnessed, they have nothing in place when things have gone haywire.

Since you already have the tickets on southwest I'd probably stick w/ them & if it makes you more comfortable change to 2days earlier. I honestly think you'd be fine w/ just one day since it's a nonstop flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

bought the tickets last april, so i have an x amount of time to use the funds if ever.,what is unclear is if ' do i need to make a reservation?or 'do i have to complete the trip before April?..regardless, im kinda leaning to WN for practical reasons.

bought the tickets last april, so i have an x amount of time to use the funds if ever.,what is unclear is if ' do i need to make a reservation?or 'do i have to complete the trip before April?..regardless, im kinda leaning to WN for practical reasons.

We usually fly Southwest. I've had to cancel a flight in the past for whatever reason & have had a sort of large amount of refund due to a price drop. If you receive refunds & have them as a credit, you must use them within a year of original booking date.