Photo Mascots for Cruises

Sequim88

I was reading another thread that told of a couple who brought a stuffed bear to MDR and had it seated in a highchair like a kid. Reminded me that we have a small stuffed, pink, lion holding a heart that we named Valentino. We've taken him on every cruise and shore excursions and photographed him at sites in London, Paris, Rome, etc... and on the ship with the towel animals (his cruise buddies ;) ). When we return I make a slide show of photos, including of him, and narrate it as if written by him.

Are we just weird or do others have photo mascots for their travels?

I was reading another thread that told of a couple who brought a stuffed bear to MDR and had it seated in a highchair like a kid. Reminded me that we have a small stuffed, pink, lion holding a heart that we named Valentino. We've taken him on every cruise and shore excursions and photographed him at sites in London, Paris, Rome, etc... and on the ship with the towel animals (his cruise buddies ;) ). When we return I make a slide show of photos, including of him, and narrate it as if written by him.

A few do this, not everyone (or most).

Indeed, I travel with Essie, and have done so for 13 years. Her first trip was a land tour to Iceland, but she has been to Europe at lease six times.

518755472207_0_ALB.jpg

She likes Half Moon Cay

Beach4.jpg

Beach3.jpg

And the hot tub, although she thought the water looked rough:

Hottub2.jpg

And she has a substance abuse problem:

Repeat2.jpg

Margaritaville5.jpg

Now that I travel more with my sister, she brings Essie's cousin Lizzie.

In my opinion - totally over the top weird. However, as long as your stuffed whatever does not take up a seat in the showroom or recliner by the pool and it makes you and the stuffed whatever happy, it is no skin off my back. I will say that if I am assigned to a table with you and the stuffed thing, I will request a table change. BTW - do you order a children's meal for him in the dining room>

DON

do you order a children's meal for him in the dining room>

Not that far over the top. But do bring to dinner at least once and get pic with our waitstaff. Took him to Blarney Castle but not up to the stone. Come to think of it...we just moved and I haven't seen him. Must be in a box. Every time my wife asks "where is..." I answer "in a box" :D

At the Vatican Museum we saw several people taking pictures with their "friends". ;)

In my opinion - totally over the top weird. However, as long as your stuffed whatever does not take up a seat in the showroom or recliner by the pool and it makes you and the stuffed whatever happy, it is no skin off my back. I will say that if I am assigned to a table with you and the stuffed thing, I will request a table change. BTW - do you order a children's meal for him in the dining room>

DON

100% agree. If there was a stuffed animal/doll sitting at my MDR table, I'd run.

On one cruise, my SIL brought a little clay animal that her nephew had made for her to take along. I believe we named him "Clay." There were lots of photo ops with him, and it was fun. At least Clay was small enough to fit in your pocket or purse, and not take up a seat. lol

I'm with the "it's weird" group. I think the classeoom's Flat Stanley was a cute idea for children traveling, but adults traveling with stuffed animals? Weird. I'd run if I saw one at our table. Just my opinion. [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm with the "it's weird" group. I think the classeoom's Flat Stanley was a cute idea for children traveling, but adults traveling with stuffed animals? Weird. I'd run if I saw one at our table. Just my opinion. [emoji15]

On HAL we saw one family at dinner with a guy's headshot on a stick. He had to cancel the cruise at the last minute and they couldn't go without him. Lol.

Ok, now that's funny! A little like a Flat Stanley for adults. Love it!

Edited by Judie

If you search for Stupid Bear, you will see many of my reviews, with my "bear"

My father taught me the love of traveling, and when he had a heart attack, and was alone , and I couldn't be there with him (he lived in florida, I live in Atlanta) I gave him a bear so that he knew I was thinking of him. He died, holding my hand and the bear. So yes, as creepy as some of you think taking a mascot along is, it is my tribute to my father.

One day I was going through old photos and there was one of my father in 1920,( he was 3) holding a bear, and it looked just like Stupid Bear.!!!

He named the Bear, stupid bear.

If you search for Stupid Bear, you will see many of my reviews, with my "bear"

My father taught me the love of traveling, and when he had a heart attack, and was alone , and I couldn't be there with him (he lived in florida, I live in Atlanta) I gave him a bear so that he knew I was thinking of him. He died, holding my hand and the bear. So yes, as creepy as some of you think taking a mascot along is, it is my tribute to my father.

One day I was going through old photos and there was one of my father in 1920,( he was 3) holding a bear, and it looked just like Stupid Bear.!!!

He named the Bear, stupid bear.

I totally understand why taking the bear is important to you and I withdraw my creepy comment in your case. For the other instances, it stays however.

I am sure that you think of your father every time you and his bear go on a trip.

DON

I have a small bear, about 6 inches tall, that I named Yogi. While I do not carrying him every where, I do insert him into photo's from time to time.

Then after I come home and build a photo book on Shutter Fly I show the book to my Grand Kids, who had to stay home. Note the kids keep reminding me that the bear should be named Poo Bear not Yogi. But I explain Yogi is a adventures bear so that is why I name my bear Yogi.

They know that Yogi will be in some photo's and he may be on the side lines some place so they have to look for him. This way they are being exposed to parts of world that they will not see in their home town.

Bob