Istanbul Update - cancelled port

stacey82

wondering how many ( if any) of those who complained about the cancellations, which were announced recently, ~~~

will feel appreciative of CUNARDS ( + other cruise-lines) wise decision?

i am heart-broken at the misery the good people of Turkey are having

to endure .

Turkey is one of my favorite port stops. We did the Black Sea cruise years back, which had several less visited destinations.

That said, I also reacted to the subpar comment.

It's not as if any cruise line can magically insert a top attraction within a given itinerary. There is nothing "in it" for a crusieline to alter itineraries. I am sure it is a time consuming undertaking, with a lot of flack, either way.

The one thing I was always told about cruising is that port are never guaranteed. Mechanical issues occur, bad weather and other unforeseen events. Yes, we plan our vacations around. Them, but we live in a real world, where unforeseen events occur.

As trouble continues in Turkey, QV has cancelled calling at Marmaris and will have two days in Rhodes instead. The Captain announced at his mid-day's announcement that all Carnival brands have cancelled callings at Turkish ports for the foreseeable future.

Incidentally, as many here certainly know, Turkish president Erdogan was in Marmaris when the coup started. Just an hour after he left, military action took place and his hotel was bombed.

Edited by RobertGraves

As trouble continues in Turkey, QV has cancelled calling at Marmaris and will have two days in Rhodes instead. The Captain announced at his mid-day's announcement that all Carnival brands have cancelled callings at Turkish ports for the foreseeable future.

Incidentally, as many here certainly know, Turkish president Erdogan was in Marmaris when the coup started. Just an hour after he left, military action took place and his hotel was bombed.

Surely they bombed his palace in Istanbul not his hotel in Marmaris 🤔

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No they attacked the hotel and shot out dozens of hotel windows according to local TV here in Rhodes.

We can see the Turkish coast and Marmaris is quite close from QV berthed here in Rhodes. Rather relieved not to have to go there this time but hopefully it will get better and we can visit on another cruise.

Have to say that in my opinion Cunard are always very late in announcing port revisions as it was clear the scheduled had changed by looking at the respective port arrival boards way before us the passengers were told (IE midday en-route to supposedly Marmaris!!). We are travelling with our daughter who has been anxious ever since the I first bombings in Istanbul and it really was the 11th hour before they changed the itinerary unlike all the other major lines!

My opinions only

No they attacked the hotel and shot out dozens of hotel windows according to local TV here in Rhodes.

Yes, TV media reported that they attacked his hotel in Marmaris, too. Actually, according to various accounts, the Turkish President had left the building just one hour to twenty or even ten minutes before they did (the latter is what he said to CNN). Other accounts say that they mistakenly attacked another hotel in Marmaris. Tourists witnessed and described the attack.

We are travelling with our daughter who has been anxious ever since the I first bombings in Istanbul and it really was the 11th hour before they changed the itinerary unlike all the other major lines!

Perhaps at first place Cunard, seeing general trouble, should have not substituted Istanbul with another Turkish port. Thus they would have avoided this (literally) last minute change.

In any case, let's hope this will not happen with the August 27th itinerary at least.

Interestingly, I forgot to mention that eight Turkish officers have flown to Greece in a military helicopter and sought political asylum there. The Turkish government demands them back, claiming that they used the helicopter to attack President Ergogan's hotel in Marmaris.

We loved our Rhodes overnight and did not miss Marmaris one bit, likewise Istanbul (but we have visited there three times before). Think Cunard gave enough notice of the Marmaris cancellation - we thought there was no way they would actually call in there in any event. We were also pleased with our call into Volos and would happily return there.

Thanks all for the updates. We are on QV 20 Aug 16 (14 days), atm the itinerary still showing Marmaris and Kusadasi. So not sure whether they will be cancelled!

Dorset Cruiser: Any advice for Volos?

Regards Maria

Thanks all for the updates. We are on QV 20 Aug 16 (14 days), atm the itinerary still showing Marmaris and Kusadasi. So not sure whether they will be cancelled!

Regards Maria

It is very surprising to hear that any port in Turkey remains on the itinerary. Considering the dire measures the government is taking in Turkey, I wouldn't be surprised if the letter Z was declared illegal (nod to Vassilis Vassilikos). -S.

Considering the dire measures the government is taking in Turkey, I wouldn't be surprised if the letter Z was declared illegal (nod to Vassilis Vassilikos). -S.

Very nice nod, Salacia! ;)

The way things go, it wouldn't be much surprising if all Latin letters in Turkey were declared illegal, in favour of Arabic ones.

Regards Maria

Volos we visited a mountain village and then went to a beach. It was a ship excursion and we enjoyed it. Rhodes we hired a car for 55 euros and drove all over the Island 😀

Captain said all Carnival brands were cancelling all Turkish ports for the foreseeable future.

Regards Maria

I would recommend a visit to Meteora! Should be incredible.

It depends on each one's priorities, but Meteora is undoubtedly worth a visit.

They are monasteries on top of huge, high and steep rocks, - hence their name ('suspended' in air). They have been built since at least the 14th century by monks, who wanted to avoid the all-increasing Turkish invasions.

One only wonders how they managed to build them, with the limited means of that time, right over the abyss. An one of a kind spectacle.