Kings Court

SPacificbound

Hopefully I got the name right.

This newly renovated space is really nice, a modern, clean looking job.

Sounds good so far, right? Well unless you are vegetarian. Basically the same vegetables every night and very little else for a vegetarian.

I will add this to my comment card and hope the veggie choices and veggie mains appear by our next trip which is in about three months.

Sounds good so far, right? Well unless you are vegetarian. Basically the same vegetables every night and very little else for a vegetarian.

I will add this to my comment card and hope the veggie choices and veggie mains appear by our next trip which is in about three months.

Buffet food is all about supply and demand. If the majority of passengers dig into the meats and carbs that's what will be served. Untouched veggie dishes that have get thrown out past their holding time won't be offered again.

Anybody with health, religious, or self imposed dietary restrictions cannot count on variety that meets their special needs at a buffet. Far better to state your preference for a vegetarian diet in advance and use the dining room. Then you will be presented with the next day's menus the previous evening.

Edited by BlueRiband

Sorry to be a bit of a downer. It seems as though Cunard has standardized the food served in its buffets across their ships, and there has been little change with the re-mastering of the Kings Court space on QM2. I don't expect any changes in cuisine down the road. IMHO the space in Kings Court has vastly improved, but the food has not.

Hi SPacificbound,

Sorry to read that you were disappointed with the available selection. This has not been my experience on the rare occasions when I visited the "old" Kings Court. There seemed to be choices of salads, fruit, and vegetables, with non-meat pasta, and other creative dishes etc available, everytime I looked (which, as I said wasn't often, sometimes only in passing through it must be said).

If the selection wasn't as extensive as you were hoping for I am slightly surprised that you went there "every night". I can only totally agree with BlueRiband's excellent suggestion, rather than use a buffet "every night", use the main dining rooms (Britannia, Princess/Queens Grill according to your cabin grade) and ask to see the menus for the next day.

I have occasionally travelled with friends who have specific food preferences (and one or two with some serious allergies where it is not a choice) and this has always worked for them. The stewards are amazingly helpful with dietary requirements and choices.

I hope your next trip on QM2 is simply wonderful, have the best of times :)

My husband is basically a vegan and has found eating in the main dining room very successful. In addition to the one or two vegetarian items on the regular menu, there's the separate vegetarian menu. As mentioned earlier, he gets the menu the night before to make choices for lunch and dinner, and items are adjusted to remove dairy, for example. If nothing seems to be quite right or of interest, he asks the chef to "surprise him"--and it's always been a PLEASANT surprise and it keeps his diet varied for the trip.

Hi SPacificbound,

I talked last evening with a vegetarian friend; she crossed on QM2 very recently (since refit).

She told me that (as jburton59 says above) each evening in the Britannia Restaurant she was offered the next evening's vegetarian menu (and a look at the standard menu as well).

She told me that...

"It usually had five "first" courses to choose from, and eight "main" dishes. That was on top of the vegetarian choices on the main menu that everyone else gets. So really I had six choices for "first" course, and nine choices for my "main" dish, almost every night"

(her words exactly).

I don't remember seeing this much choice in Britannia each night for carnivores like me!

I hope this helps you for your next voyage with Cunard :)