Istanbul Update - cancelled port

stacey82

I have just seen this on the Cruise Critic news - although no official confirmation from Cunard yet. I am booked on this cruise.

"Cunard has canceled all calls in Istanbul. Queen Victoria was due in on July 18 to spend a night in Istanbul, however the line has altered the itinerary and the ship will now call in at Thessaloniki and an additional call to Volos. A spokeswoman said: "Following advice from the relevant authorities Cunard has taken the decision to remove Istanbul from the planned itineraries on Queen Victoria in July and August. The calls to Istanbul will be replaced by Thessaloniki and an additional call to Volos. A shore excursion programme for these new ports will be available in the next few days. Any shore excursions booked for Istanbul will be refunded."

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=7102

Just phoned Cunard and Istanbul is definitely replaced by the two mentioned above. While I understand the cancellation, I'm disgusted with the quality of the substitutions. And they won't let me transfer to a different cruise. Not happy at all.

Just phoned Cunard and Istanbul is definitely replaced by the two mentioned above. While I understand the cancellation, I'm disgusted with the quality of the substitutions. And they won't let me transfer to a different cruise. Not happy at all.

I'am disgusted by the cancellation.

I had choosen my cruise for the stops in Turkey.

To read about how Cunard now treats booked customes is even more disappointing, to say the least.

We booked through a travel agent. My husband is going to check if he can change his holiday dates at work and if he can, I'm going to try the agent with their considerably larger clout for a transfer.

Have just got of the phone to them too.

I understand why they have done it, but surely as a passenger you (should) have the right to cancel or amend. Alas, not.

Let me know how you get on.

I commented on Cunard Facebook page earlier today asking about their plans for itineraries which included Istanbul this summer and here is there response:

CUNARD Hi following advice from the relevant authorities we have taken the decision to remove Istanbul from the planned itineraries on Queen Victoria in July and August. Guests booked on these voyages will be notified shortly with more information about next steps.

Cunard do respond fairly quickly to posts on their facebook page so it may be worth complaining there if you wanted to highlight your upset over inability to cancel/change your cruise.

I'am disgusted by the cancellation.

I had choosen my cruise for the stops in Turkey.

To read about how Cunard now treats booked customes is even more disappointing, to say the least.

I would think that most customers would be glad to be missing Turkey at this time.

I also believe that Cunard is thinking about their customers in this time of terrorism and unrest.

If you would like to take a land trip to Turkey, I am sure you will find good rates.

Thanks Tangoqueen. The kids told me to do that and have already.

Trying my TA to make an effort to transfer to another cruise but seems utterly disinterested. Told me that I'd have to cancel my Jet2 and EasyJet flights as you can't make changes. Aye right!! Done it before.

Cunard will be saving thousands of USD by not sailing all the way to Istanbul and back and I also expect the 2 new ports will be rubbing their hands together and will have given Cunard a very good deal on docking fees etc just to get all the people on board spending in their local economy.

I wonder if we will get a refund or some on board credit?

Also hope they put on free shuttle buses in Volos.

Edited by Lindypops

I wonder if we will get a refund or some on board credit?

Our experience has shown that no refund or on board credit is offered. Companies argue that under passenger contract terms, which every guest accepts automatically when purchasing a ticket, they are not liable to any compensation in case of changing an itinerary or canceling any port due to safety reasons. Crystal offered once two hours of free drinks for omitting Azores due to bad weather, and that was all.

In case that someone succeeds in getting some king of reimbursement, please inform us here accordingly.

It's always in the "small print" that the cruise line can change schedules as needed.

I've missed ports due to weather and due to "local unrest." It's disappointing, but it happens. Unfortunately, this cruise changed to less interesting ports, but remember that Cunard is not the only line having to change itineraries. They're probably all scrambling for alternate ports. And it's more than just port changes. They also have to figure out timing for arrivals and departures and yes, fuel to be used.

On this cruise too. Volos??? Had to Google it and it looks deeply uninspiring.

I don't want to sound like devil's advocate, but Volos seems somehow to be a favourite site to Cunard in recent years, and arguably rightly so. It is the getaway to Meteora, several picturesque medieval monasteries situated at the top of huge, steep rocks. A definitely rare and inspiring site.

And to those interested in ancient mythology, next to Volos is mount Pelion, site of the legendary centaurs. The Argonautic exhibition is said to have departed from this area, too.

We have been to Volos twice on QV and are more than happy to have done so.

Unfortunately, this cruise changed to less interesting ports, but remember that Cunard is not the only line having to change itineraries. They're probably all scrambling for alternate ports. And it's more than just port changes. They also have to figure out timing for arrivals and departures and yes, fuel to be used.

Well said. And it is very difficult to find ports as interesting as Istanbul is. But Salonica and Volos are arguably not a bad try for a last minute alternative. I wonder if an excursion to the tomb of Philip II of Macedon in Vergina will be available.

Unfortunately, with the recent attack in Istanbul being the climax of 200 terrorist attacks in Turkey during the last year (more than one every two days), passenger safety has certainly become an issue and the writing was on the wall.

I do think that Cunard left it too long to make the decision and if they had done so earlier then perhaps there may have been more alternative port options. Having said that I know many people wanted Istanbul to stay on the itinerary so you can't please everyone.

Here is more from the CruiseCritic website

Most cruise lines still calling in at Istanbul have cancelled port stops at the city following Tuesday's airport bombing which killed 41 people, while a few others are still monitoring the situation. Celebrity Cruises, Cunard, Princess Cruises, Seabourn, Windstar and Holland America Line were all due to call in at Istanbul in the coming days and weeks. Of those, Celebrity, Cunard, Windstar and Seabourn have all canceled.

Neither the U.K.'s Foreign & Commonwealth Office nor the U.S.'s State Department have altered their travel advice to Turkey, which is usually the trigger for travel companies to cancel or alter travel plans. The U.S. currently has a warning for the southeast part of Turkey bordering Syria and Iraq.

The bombing is the sixth -- and deadliest -- terrorist attack in Turkey this year. The second Istanbul bombing in March led to a number of lines altering their itineraries, including Viking.

Crystal, Disney and MSC Cruises had already announced that they will not stop in Turkey in 2016; Celebrity Cruises had already canceled overnights in Istanbul. What complicates the issue is that many cruise lines on Eastern Mediterranean itineraries embark or disembark in Istanbul, meaning that passenger flights may have to be changed on short notice.

Here's where the lines stand:

Celebrity Cruises. Celebrity Cruises has canceled all calls in Istanbul. A spokesperson said: "Celebrity Cruises is aware of the situation in Istanbul, Turkey, and our thoughts and prayers are with all those affected by the attack. After discussion with our Global Security team in Miami, we have decided to cancel all of Celebrity Cruises' upcoming calls to Istanbul, Turkey, and replace them with Athens (Piraeus), Greece.This decision was made in the interests of our guests' safety and we apologize for the impact on their cruise. Our guests' holiday time is precious and we did not take this decision lightly. The safety of our guests and crew is always our foremost concern. We are currently finalizing the details of these itinerary changes and will communicate with our guests or their travel agents as soon as we have additional details.

Cunard. Cunard has canceled all calls in Istanbul. Queen Victoria was due in on July 18 to spend a night in Istanbul, but will no longer. A spokeswoman said: "Following the tragic events in Istanbul this week Cunard is cancelling all 2016 calls to Istanbul. We are currently preparing new itineraries and will communicate these to guests in the next 24 to 48 hours."

Holland America Line. Eurodam is due in on July 22 to spend the night; that call is still on the books, according to the line. In a statement, the line said: "Holland America Line is closely monitoring the situation in Turkey. The company analyzes information regarding safety and security from many sources, which includes liaising with government intelligence agencies and on-the-ground port security assessments. We are assessing our upcoming scheduled visits to Istanbul. The next scheduled call is July 23, 2016, with ms Eurodam. Should any decisions be made regarding itinerary changes, it will be closer to the scheduled call date and communicated with booked guests and their travel agents. The safety of our guests and crew is our top priority."

Princess Cruises. Royal Princess is due into Istanbul next Thursday, July 7, and is still going ahead with the call.

A spokesperson said: "We are closely monitoring the situation in Istanbul. We will advise guests and our travel consultant partners should the need arise to make changes to any of our published itineraries."

Meteora should be a fascinating sight. I know it is disappointing as Istanbul is wonderful but I would be very concerned right now. I can understand changes due to weather or political unrest, but it seems cruises have the right to change and not even explain why!

I do think that Cunard left it too long to make the decision and if they had done so earlier then perhaps there may have been more alternative port options.

Perhaps Cunard was willing to keep intact this most interesting itinerary, but it was the magnitude of the attack in Istanbul, which compelled them to cancel calling there. As it is, last minute choices were certainly limited.

Thanks to all who posted with information re Volos (don't know how to tag!). Unfortunately, for me anyway, Istanbul was the main factor in booking the cruise and I agree with Tangoqueen. Apparently Celebrity changed almost instantly to Athens when they cancelled so I would have expected Cunard to have had a better plan already considered and prepared.

"...Most travel insurance plans include coverage in the event of a terrorist attack, said John Cook, president of travel insurance comparison site QuoteWright. Typically, attacks within 30 days prior to a city on an insured itinerary trigger a provision allowing travelers to cancel and receive a full refund..."

copied from http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article86722352.html#storylink=cpy

There have been warnings of other terrorist attacks in Turkey and I for one am pleased Cunard have changed their itinerary but I have been to Istanbul twice before. Will make the most we can of Thessaloniki and Volos.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Its not just one day in Istanbul though. The itinerary was day one & day four cruising through the Dardanelles, with two days in Istanbul.

The 7 day cruise is going to be quite lacking going to the other ports which are no where near as far. Huge cost saving by Cunard there!