corkage fees

peefaye

Hi. I've been reading many posts recently about increased corkage fees and would like to add my $.02. In land-based restaurants there's a certain etiquette for bringing your own wine:

-Do not bring a bottle to a restaurant if it's already on the wine list. You may save $, but you'll seem cheap.

-Let the restaurant know upon being seated or before that you've brought your own wine(s). They can refrigerate or decant them for you as needed.

- Offer your sommelier/ waiter a glass of your special wine. This gesture not only makes them happy, it also may decrease or eliminate your corkage fee.

-Tip well and frequent the same restaurants, you'll always be welcome, and most likely won't see any corkage fees.

Cruise lines are like restaurants in that they rely on sales of "non-perishable" products to make up for "spoilage" or waste from food items that go bad and must be thrown out. I'm expecting to be charged corkage for every bottle of wine we bring on board our cruise, and I will still give our server a glass of each wine if s/he would like one. I just wanted to let everyone know that the (high) corkage fees are the norm everywhere now, and that the cruise industry seems to be among the last of the hospitality industries to implement them. I couldn't believe that HAL's corkage was only $10 a few months ago, it seemed soooo cheap. Now it's $15 plus service charge- about average.

Princess was $10 in May. I always offer some to the Head Waiter or Maitre' d as waiters are not supposed to have any. (I do slip them a taste from time to time). I do not remember the last time I had to pay corkage..

peefaye,

I see that you're going to be on the Maasdam out of Norfolk. I'm on the same itinerary, but a bit before you (October 30). Anyhow, the corkage fee on HAL is $15 plus 15% service charge ($17.25 total). However, HAL has some wines available for pre-order for $14 to $18 per bottle, and then there's no corkage fee. It's available through ship services. I don't know their phone number but you can call the general HAL number (877)SAIL-HAL and they can give it to you.

You can only specify Merlot or Chardonnay. However, there is a large selection and posters on the HAL board have said that the've been happy with the suggestions of the wine stewards. Unless you have some specific wines you want to drink, this is not a bad option.

Orcrone

Archived