Ecstasy or Victory?

OhJinkies

I'm considering a cruise getaway at the end of the month: a four-nighter to Key West and Cozumel. There are two ships on this itinerary that leave within a few days of each other: The Ecstasy and the Victory. I understand that the Ecstasy is older/smaller but was refurbished last year. I'm trying to decide which ship to pick but can't find much information to compare (I'm trying the "ship compare" function on the Carnival website and I think it's hung up). I'm a pretty experienced cruiser but haven't been aboard a Carnival ship in ten years. Here's what I'm looking for:

• I'm solo cruising this time. I enjoy solitude but also enjoy meeting new people at dinner, etc.
  • Looking for the opportunity to enjoy time on deck and enjoy the salty air, sunsets, etc.
  • I seek out quiet areas (hoping that most of the kids are back in school by end of month).
  • I'm hoping to find some comfy seating in a shaded area where I can read. Can't find much information on this on either the Carnival website or here.
  • I generally don't do the pools or sunbathing. Not into the loud games. I may seek out a small pool or spa after dinner to relax.
  • I'm not really into the club scene, but enjoy a good drink with music in the background/good conversation (goodness, this sounds like a dating profile -- it's not, really!)
  • I don't need a big, fancy room. Plan to book an inside. Just want it clean, comfortable, and well-maintained.
  • A nice spa is a plus but not a must.
  • I don't need any fancy dining. MDR and Lido buffet are fine.
  • I don't really care about entertainment. I just want the getaway and to enjoy being at sea.
  • I don't really care about the ports (except there is a place in Key West where I want to return for lunch -- GREAT chicken salad).

If you've been on both ships, which would you recommend?

Thanks!!

I had been on Ecstasy a LONG time ago, probably too long to give a fair assessment to you now. I faced a similar choice as you but chose Victory this time simply because the ship is newer and has more features, the Thursday - Monday itinerary worked better for me than Monday - Friday, and the price point was virtually identical (at least for weeks I've looked at).

If you go on Youtube and look at a few tours of each ship I think you'd find that Victory to offer more of what you are looking for, such as a Serenity Area. Edit: Both ships have a serenity area.

Edited by LMaxwell

I've been on both ships and enjoyed both of them (solo). I would give the Victory a small edge just because its bigger and I love the outdoor movies at night. It also has an adult pool in the rear. But I also really like the Fantasy class ships and their aft serentity area. Sorry, probably not much help:)

I would say you couldn't go wrong with either one. Hope you have a great cruise

The Victory also has those decks off the atrium both sides/deck 3. They are under the lifeboats, so is shaded, and a few loungers out there for reading. I like those decks for quiet, good for reading and relaxing. I also considered Ecstasy because of Key West being on the itin, but decided on Victory for the other itin, and deck 3 among some other things. Either way, have a great cruise.:)

The Victory also has those decks off the atrium both sides/deck 3. They are under the lifeboats, so is shaded, and a few loungers out there for reading. I like those decks for quiet, good for reading and relaxing. I also considered Ecstasy because of Key West being on the itin, but decided on Victory for the other itin, and deck 3 among some other things. Either way, have a great cruise.:)

Thanks so much -- I've looked at deck plans and a few videos but haven't been able to see those deck areas. Lucky for me, the Victory will be making a stop in Key West (I've been craving that chicken salad for lunch but it's a bit of a drive from Orlando, LOL)!

Thanks so much -- I've looked at deck plans and a few videos but haven't been able to see those deck areas. Lucky for me, the Victory will be making a stop in Key West (I've been craving that chicken salad for lunch but it's a bit of a drive from Orlando, LOL)!

This is a different carnival ship but this is basically what the outdoor deck area is like and with a lounge chair set up to show you the size. It should be pretty quiet except for the sound of the ocean (not people noise, loud music, etc.). this is someone elses photo

232323232%7Ffp43349%3Enu%3D323%3B%3E8%3B7%3E682%3EWSNRCG%3D32879%3B3555326nu0mrj

Thank you! The sound of the ocean will be a very welcome sound, believe me! I contacted a travel agent friend of mine, and she has put a hold on one room for 24 hours on the Victory. Just confirming my vacation days with my boss, and I will probably go ahead and book! Thanks again!

I contacted a travel agent friend of mine, and she has put a hold on one room for 24 hours on the Victory.

I was going to suggest the Victory, too. I haven't been on her or the Ecstasy but I've been on the Fantasy (same class as the Ecstasy) and the Triumph (same class as the Victory) and I would go with the slightly bigger ship, for sure. We enjoyed the Triumph and I hope to get to sail on her again one day after she returns to NOLA. ;)