Leaving tomorrow. Quick question!

KrisMusc313

I know we are allowed two bags per person at 50 lbs each. We are trying to just bring one per person. I just weighed each bag and one is 54 & one is 55 lbs. Leaving stuff behind is not an option so do I take stuff out and pack a third bag or will they let it go a few lbs over? I haven't cruised in 4 years and I know they never used to weigh them but not sure if it's changed.

Thanks!!!

I know we are allowed two bags per person at 50 lbs each. We are trying to just bring one per person. I just weighed each bag and one is 54 & one is 55 lbs. Leaving stuff behind is not an option so do I take stuff out and pack a third bag or will they let it go a few lbs over? I haven't cruised in 4 years and I know they never used to weigh them but not sure if it's changed.

Thanks!!!

Are you concerned for air travel or the cruise? The airline will make you pay for any overage, the cruiseline, usually not.

Are you concerned for air travel or the cruise? The airline will make you pay for any overage, the cruiseline, usually not.

I have never seen Carnival weigh bags but with the way things are going who knows when this may come about ;)!

Edited by n6uqqq

The cruises lines probably won't charge you if you're over a few lbs.

However, keep in mind that the reason this rule was implemented is because over 50 lbs. is really hard on baggage handler's backs.

I hope you have an awesome cruise...I'm an over-packer myself...LOL!;)

Edited by mousey

The cruises lines probably won't charge you if you're over a few lbs.

However, keep in mind that the reason this rule was implemented is because over 50 lbs. is really hard on baggage handler's backs.

I hope you have an awesome cruise...I'm an over-packer myself...LOL!;)

Agree!

have you seen the size of some of the luggage handlers onboard

some of them can fit inside the luggage

Edited by SadieN

You may already know all of this, but try putting some of your cosmetics in small little bottles. Buy all toiletries in sample sizes. I even go to Sephora for free sample perfumes of my choice. They give you up to 5 samples in small spray form for free! I am an overpacker.... Love my options... But my first obstacle is the airport before the cruise. I also never wear everything, so I have been learning to get outfits to mix and match as well as limit my shoes (love heels). Only bring 1-2 "go to" heels.... They take up a lot of weight!!

I would bring a carry on and put some of the stuff in there . Also im sure you will bring some souveniors home too...

We bring a fold-up, light-weight, duffle bag size, carry-on in our suitcase. For coming home I pack it with the dirty clothes and souvenirs (wrapped in plastic bags) thus suitcase weight isn't a problem coming home.

(we drive to most of our cruises but this method worked for Amtrak too where 50lbs is the limit and they do weigh the bags.)

I learned the packing rule in Boy Scouts. Divide everything into three piles - one you use every day, one you use once per trip, and one of things you might need. For cruising, leave the last pile at home. For camping, leave the last two piles at home.

There's another packing rule I learned here a decade ago...take half of what you need, and twice the money. That works too...

I tend to agree with you danacline.

Except when it is going to save you significant money.

I hope that I don't have to use the pepto bismol, tylenol, and aloe vera gel, etc., but I bring them anyway.

I learned that the hard way when I traveled to Mexico and paid $25 at a resort for a small bottle of medicated aloe vera gel after a bad sunburn. (cab to town and back would have been more $$)

I take very small quantities though.

Way way in the fine print of your cruise contract you will see a generic statement:

(a) Each fully paid adult Guest will be allowed a reasonable amount of luggage on board containing their personal belongings. Luggage means only trunks, valises, satchels, bags, hangers and bundles with their contents consisting of only such wearing apparel, toilet articles and similar personal effects as are necessary and appropriate for the purpose of the journey.

Historically, you are allowed 200 lbs per person. This dates back to steamship days and was not Carnival specific.