Weather? trouble?

Digiman161

They always sail and YES, there could be miserable weather.

Therefore, embrace it :D

Plan on sitting in the hot tub while the warm rains surround you with a fruity Hurricane in your hands.

Wow! That is one of the best replies I have seen. You sound so optimistic and happy! I bet you always have a great time on vacation. Thanks that brought a smile to my face!

Here's a website for you. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Don't want to be a Debbie Downer and I also hope you are on the beach getting some sun. I also know that it helps to be prepared mentally when life throws lemons at you.

I've never been affected directly by one of these storms, but I have sailed after one has gone through.

The seas were still choppy and rough. All snorkeling and water excursions were cancelled. All tender ports were cancelled.

I don't know for a fact that this will be your experience.

I think your bigger concern right now are your flights.

Edited by klfrodo

delete comments--I was speculating on florida but apparently the Carnival Dream is in New Orleans where Erika will be nowhere near on Monday. Since this is not a line specific board it is helpful to put the name of the cruiseline and embarkation port in the original post FYI

Further edit: Now I see the reference to Castaway Cay so know that the OP is on the DISNEY Dream. Thank you for giving us the chance to play amateur detective, but now I have no time to properly address your question. Good luck anyway.

Edited by fishywood

delete comments--I was speculating on florida but apparently the Carnival Dream is in New Orleans where Erika will be nowhere near on Monday. Since this is not a line specific board it is helpful to put the name of the cruiseline and embarkation port in the original post FYI

Further edit: Now I see the reference to Castaway Cay so know that the OP is on the DISNEY Dream. Thank you for giving us the chance to play amateur detective, but now I have no time to properly address your question. Good luck anyway.

With all due respect

Your initial assumptions are on you. Not on the OP.

This post is on the "First Time Cruisers" board and OP only has 2 posts.

While I agree that the OP maybe could have been more clear in their question,,, one has to remember where they are "First Time Cruisers" and be a little more gentle with responses. (Until they get to the Cruise Air board anyway) :D

Well my intent was to gently correct the misnomer in post #6 referring to a hurricane. Erika is a tropical storm that is not expected to intensify to hurricane strength.

The probability of the Florida peninsula experiencing tropical storm force winds has been reduced to between 40-50% (was 50-60% as of yesterday).

It is a regular occurrence for ships to alter their course to avoid 40-50 mph winds (likely what Erika will max out at) but because this is during the teeth of hurricane season and off the Florida coast the media goes into chicken little mode for no real reason. No need to excessively worry about what one can't control.

But as I said I have run out of time to further comment, so just keep your eye on the forecast; it won't be until very late tonight or tomorrow that anything remotely close to a real guesstimate will be available for the Port Canaveral area.

Edited by fishywood

Well my intent was to gently correct the misnomer in post #6 referring to a hurricane. Erika is a tropical storm that is not expected to intensify to hurricane strength. Erika has killed at least 4 and there are still at least 20 missing. who cares what she is classified as.

The probability of the Florida peninsula experiencing tropical storm force winds has been reduced to between 40-50% (was 50-60% as of yesterday). Having lived through several(* and a pair of tai-fun) a 10% reducvtion in probability ain't worth celebrating

It is a regular occurrence for ships to alter their course to avoid 40-50 mph winds (likely what Erika will max out at) but because this is during the teeth of hurricane season and off the Florida coast the media goes into chicken little mode for no real reason. No need to excessively worry about what one can't control. for a seasoned cruiser maybe. a first timer? Yeah I'd panic since I have no frame of reference or knowledge as to what SOP is for cruise liens when this happens.

But as I said I have run out of time to further comment, so just keep your eye on the forecast; it won't be until very late tonight or tomorrow that anything remotely close to a real guesstimate will be available for the Port Canaveral area.

FTR my husband is currently deployed in that general area. in fact Dominica where the aforementioned deaths have occurred was a recent Port stop for his ship. and the DR is(was? no idea how the storm affects their schedule) next on the list. Communications have been down since Early Tuesday. May or may not be Erika' s fault.

I don't fault the OP for not knowing there's more than one ship named Dream, being a first time cruiser.

As for the tropical storm, no one knows how it will go. We've been on cruises where the ship didn't make the disembarkation port on time, and just basically cruised around in a circle until the port opened up the next day. Once we were on the ship that couldn't dock, and once we were waiting to board the ship that docked a day late. There's no way to tell how things will be this weekend. Storms are fickle. But just know the cruise line will not take chances with anyone's safety.

They always sail and YES, there could be miserable weather.

Therefore, embrace it :D

Plan on sitting in the hot tub while the warm rains surround you with a fruity Hurricane in your hands.

Not necessarily true. There have been instances in recent years where storms prevented a ship from returning to the origination port and had to be rerouted or have extra sea days added forcing the cancellation - or significant itinerary change - of the subsequent cruise as the ship could not be in port in time for the scheduled departure.

The captain will always avoid bad weather whenever possible for the safety of his ship and the passengers. Not quite as you indicate unless unavoidable - and typically the outside decks are closed in very bad weather, which is where most hot tubs are.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

My sister-in-law was on a cruise in the gulf a few years ago when a hurricane came in, paralleled Cuba for a bit and headed north. The ship stayed at sea to the west and they actually had a supply ship come out to partially reprovision. I think she was on the ship 3 extra days.

Two experiences:

Med cruise - Gorgeous day but the harbourmaster at Santorini (Greek island) decided for his own reasons that our ship would not be permitted to drop anchor (tender port). We missed that port altogether.

Mexican Riviera - 7 day cruise (Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta) from LA. Hurricane down near Cabo (right in the path of the cruise). We idled just off the Baja coast near Ensenada for two days then the Captain decided we all would enjoy two days in San Francisco. We did, BTW, very much. Sure much nicer than rocking and rolling in rough seas in Mexican waters.

In other words, go with whatever flows. You'll still enjoy yourself greatly.

Thanks for the feedback. For some reason I thought I was in a Disney Cruise only forum thus only stating the Dream I figured was enough information. My bad.

Yeah, never cruised before...we sail on Monday I just hope we can get on the ship. I remember taking a ferry in NFLD and the sea was so bad the boat could not dock. We wait 9 hours for the seas to calm before we could board.