Thoughts on Cozumel

tmprez

I have to say I really really hated this port. Not really because of the destination but just because it seems they wanted to rip you off any where you turn from the second you step off that ship. We had such a different experience from the Grand Cayman stop that really coming behind that it was amplified. To begin with when we packed the same sandwiches we had for Grand Cayman the day before they had a dog sniff the bags and it would sit when if found "food". They took EVERYTHING they said the tuna fish sandwich was okay but confiscated it anyway because of a tiny piece of lettuce. I told them I would remove it and they said no because it was, get this, "contaminated". I had a bad taste in mouth already... so we get to the taxis and I proceed to tell them that I wanted to go to a nice beach with my toddler that was clean and had sand to play with. He told me Sky Reef was good an that it was 13.00 dollars. We get in the taxi and he says when we were already a good while away that he didn't think we would like Sky Reef because it's good for snorkeling because it's all rocks and NO beach! So he takes us by and sure enough no beach. He recommends Mr. Sanchos because it's "free" or $55pp all inclusive. But would cost us another $7 for the trip there. We at that point feel there is no choice and go. At the door the one thing they didn't take from us is taken, our single bottle of water from the ship! So now we get shuffled off to the non all inclusive 5 feet of beach but must consume something. Well when we go to get lunch for the 5 of us they don't take American Express and won't even give us water that isn't in the $3 bottle. We have exactly $50 in cash to use of which $20 needs to be to get back to the port. So we have to split a hamburger and fish tacos amongst us. I went to see if we could drink our water and that door and they wouldn't let me because "then everyone would want to do that". I really felt that Cozumel is just a giant rip off unless you want to go snorkeling or dish out the inflated all inclusive prices.

Sorry you had a bad experience. A little reading on this board and some homework on trip advisor would have prevented most of your issues/problems. Taking advice from a cab driver anywhere is likely to mean that you wind up wherever the driver gets the biggest kickback from :( - especially true in Las Vegas! - not where is most appropriate for your group/desires/needs.

If you go back to Coz with a little one I suggest you research Playa Mia - a beach club with a nice stretch of sand plus a kiddie water park and good facilities.

On our ships there were signs posted and a noticed was placed in the daily bulletin that no food could be taken off the ship. (I think this rule is a just a means of protecting the vendors in port but it is a rule must be followed.) As for the taxis, this type marketing trick is not uncommon all over the world. I never get into a taxi without knowing the destination and price. I hope you will give Cozumel another chance. There are a lot of good people there.

(I think this rule is a just a means of protecting the vendors in port but it is a rule must be followed.)

It is generally a law that is meant to protect the agriculture of the country. Lots of stuff can sneak a ride on plant materials, including fresh fruit and vegetables, and it can be devastating.

If it was just to protect vendors you wouldn't have the same laws when you arrive by other means than ship, and you definitely do. There are even some states in the US that you can't bring plant materials over STATE lines, much less from another country.

And are you sure you went to Mr Sanchos? 5 feet of beach?

Sky Reef is relatively new. Not sure how the beach/snorkeling is or the facilities, but Playa Corona next door has decent snorkeling and a good beach. But Playa Mia would have been a better bet with your youngster. Again, research before is better than being disappointed.

We are talking peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and tuna fish sandwiches. No threat to agriculture there! Fruits are understandable because bugs that aren't indigenous can create a huge problem. But I couldn't take the one piece of lettuce out of the tuna fish sandwich? Come on!

Yes I am absolutely certain I was at Mr. Sanchos it's 5 feet where the non inclusives are, the ample part is for the all inclusive folks only. I did do some research however I did not know nor was it obvious to me that I had to do one of these clubs because there are no regular access beaches. I find that strange still.

I looked at the prices at the taxi pickup area but I had never heard of Sky Reef probably because it's new. I just wanted to go to a beach. I really didn't think that was too much to ask. Overall I do think it's to ensure you spend your money there. With the contrast to Grand Cayman the impact on me was bigger and felt like it was anything to make a buck kind of place. With the mexican peso being as low as it is $3 for a bottle of water is outrageous.

In hind sight I believe Playa Mia would have been better so would have Visa/MC. However as I mentioned before I wasn't looking to go to a "club" area, didn't know I didn't have a choice. I did research but found people asking questions like "Playa Mia or Nomchi?" Like I said I just wanted a beach not a club or water park, etc.

With the mexican peso being as low as it is $3 for a bottle of water is outrageous.

It says on the menu the price is 36 pesos. If you wanted the deal based on the peso being so low, you should have paid in pesos. The menu clearly says $3. They are doing you a favor by taking dollars. (Really though- 36 pesos is not so low that it is worth the effort of getting pesos if you didn't already have them...you'd save 80 cents)

Again- sorry you didn't have a good time.

So sad that you were left with bad feelings of Cozumel. It's one of our favorite ports. We've even flown there to spend a week long vacation. Funny how so many people have different opinions of the same places, because we dislike Grand Cayman, because it's so expensive. Lots of research would have maybe helped you have a better time. Most ports, its best to research, and know ahead of time, what will be the best beach for you. Like others have suggested, never ask a cab driver to take you where they suggest would be best....they will take you where they have friends and get a bonus for bringing people. I do hope you give Cozumel another try, and maybe you can learn to LOVE this place and it's beautiful people.

So sorry you had such a bad experience in Cozumel. Cozumel really has a lot to offer and so many beaches to go to. It's one of our favorite ports and we hit up a different place every time we are there for a different experience. (As you can see in my signature line we have been to a lot of them).

I see that you are new to the boards...so welcome and I hope you find a lot of useful information on these boards. There's a lot of helpful people on here that, if you tell them what you are looking for, they can suggest great places to fit your needs. Hopefully, if you return, you will find the perfect place for your family and have an entirely different experience. Cozumel is one of those ports that is just so easy to do on your own and to get to places, but of course you kinda need to know where you are going instead of relying on the cab driver to make a suggestion. They are going to do what makes them the most money and where they will receive a kick back.

We have been to Mr Sanchos and been on both sides. It's definitely bigger than 5' (although I'm sure that was just an exaggeration due to the way you felt about that day and the way it started off).

Next time, definitely let us seasoned cruisers know what interest you and ask for suggestions, then do some research on here to find the perfect place. You'll have a much better time. Happy cruising and welcome. :)

Honestly I pride myself on doing plenty of research for anything I buy or do. That being said, I knew with a 3 year old that all I could really do was spend the day at a beach. Actually at this point if I went back tomorrow I still don't know what I'd do, other than be forewarned by my previous experience. I still have a question on what is the most economical way to spend the day for a family with a small child in Cozumel?

Is the answer stay on the ship? Walk around the port for a little while... I truly don't have the answer.

P.S. and while it's not 5' it's VERY small where you can actually wade in the water.

It seems like the problem is that you wanted to do Cozumel while spending zero money (going so far as to bring your own food and water), and while I believe there are a couple of 'free' beaches, I think you would have needed to do a little more advance research to find them. A quick google turns up Playa Palancar:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150809-d558543-Reviews-Playa_Palancar-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

You would still have to pay a taxi driver to take you there, though, as well as buy some refreshments to use the local equipment/sunbeds/etc.

Welcome to CruiseCritic. Reading the various threads here can help you avoid many of the problems you encountered. For instance, American Express is accepted by so few merchants that I rarely carry it overseas any more. Carrying food, including sandwiches, off the ship is illegal due to agricultural restrictions. You don't say what cruise line you were on, but Princess tells you not to take food off the ship. Theaters and sports arenas in the U.S. don't allow you to bring outside food or drink in either. Mexico is one of the best to get caught in, they just take the contraband. For others it's fines and imprisonment. It is sad that they must resort to sniffer dogs. I one saw a small child about in tears over the interest a sniffer dog was paying to her backpack.

Sorry you were left with a bad taste for Cozumel. We like it.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Sorry your port stop to Cozumel did not meet your expectations.

The only food you are allowed to take off the ship must be packaged and sealed by the manufacturer.

When in any country, we have to follow THEIR rules.

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Honestly I pride myself on doing plenty of research for anything I buy or do. That being said, I knew with a 3 year old that all I could really do was spend the day at a beach. Actually at this point if I went back tomorrow I still don't know what I'd do, other than be forewarned by my previous experience. I still have a question on what is the most economical way to spend the day for a family with a small child in Cozumel?

Is the answer stay on the ship? Walk around the port for a little while... I truly don't have the answer.

P.S. and while it's not 5' it's VERY small where you can actually wade in the water.

Depending upon the pier (there are 3 cruise ship piers on Coz) you can find shopping and restaurants at all three - one is downtown with a wealth of shopping/dining options right there. There are some small beach areas close to most of the piers that are free or close to it, but they are not well equipped or very attractive, especially with a 3-year old.

Coz is an island, so most of the attractions are related to the water (snorkel, scuba, fishing) or the beach. Not much in the way of attractions or historical sites. Chankanaab Marine park is attractive to kids - dolphins, beach, pool, etc. - but the admission fee of $20 each discourages many.

If you go back to Coz with a little one I suggest you research Playa Mia - a beach club with a nice stretch of sand plus a kiddie water park and good facilities. Usually available as a ship's excursion with transport included - meaning you do not have to worry about cabs and car seats.

If you go when he/she is a bit older Paradise Beach is a nice option - $3 admission, great facilities, nice beach, HUGE pool, plus good food/drinks/service. Good luck! :)

Welcome to CruiseCritic. Reading the various threads here can help you avoid many of the problems you encountered. For instance, American Express is accepted by so few merchants that I rarely carry it overseas any more. Carrying food, including sandwiches, off the ship is illegal due to agricultural restrictions. You don't say what cruise line you were on, but Princess tells you not to take food off the ship. Theaters and sports arenas in the U.S. don't allow you to bring outside food or drink in either. Mexico is one of the best to get caught in, they just take the contraband. For others it's fines and imprisonment. It is sad that they must resort to sniffer dogs. I one saw a small child about in tears over the interest a sniffer dog was paying to her backpack.

Sorry you were left with a bad taste for Cozumel. We like it.

Actually you are allowed to take out food and water as the port officials explained. I mentioned in my original post that tuna fish without lettuce is okay, PB&J is okay so is water and sodas. So actually it's fruits and vegetables and anything agricultural that are not allowed which we didn't take down except in our sandwiches. Mr. Sanchos is where they really finished us off even taking our water. How can that not leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth?

Depending upon the pier (there are 3 cruise ship piers on Coz) you can find shopping and restaurants at all three - one is downtown with a wealth of shopping/dining options right there. There are some small beach areas close to most of the piers that are free or close to it, but they are not well equipped or very attractive, especially with a 3-year old.

Coz is an island, so most of the attractions are related to the water (snorkel, scuba, fishing) or the beach. Not much in the way of attractions or historical sites. Chankanaab Marine park is attractive to kids - dolphins, beach, pool, etc. - but the admission fee of $20 each discourages many.

If you go back to Coz with a little one I suggest you research Playa Mia - a beach club with a nice stretch of sand plus a kiddie water park and good facilities. Usually available as a ship's excursion with transport included - meaning you do not have to worry about cabs and car seats.

If you go when he/she is a bit older Paradise Beach is a nice option - $3 admission, great facilities, nice beach, HUGE pool, plus good food/drinks/service. Good luck! :)

Thanks Jon great suggestions and I will do as you say next time. Sounds really nice. Maybe I'll come back with a different review of Coz. Btw I was at Port Maya I think?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Sorry your port stop to Cozumel did not meet your expectations.

The only food you are allowed to take off the ship must be packaged and sealed by the manufacturer.

When in any country, we have to follow THEIR rules.

LuLu

Actually you are allowed to take out food and water as the port officials explained. I mentioned in my original post that tuna fish without lettuce is okay, PB&J is okay so is water and sodas.

Actually you are allowed to take out food and water as the port officials explained. I mentioned in my original post that tuna fish without lettuce is okay, PB&J is okay so is water and sodas.

While you may be able to take it off the ship I can understand a beach club or similar business not allowing you to bring in outside food/drinks - would you bring your own food and drinks to a restaurant in the US? :confused: Food and drink sales are how they make a living.

Zero money does not equal economical. So that's actually not the problem. We fully expected to pay for a taxi and perhaps other comforts or necessities but not access to beaches.

Beaches in Cozumel are free. Access to Beach clubs are not (in most cases). There are plenty of beaches in Cozumel that you can go to, but if you want to use facilities, that's where the money comes in.

I've never paid to use a beach in Cozumel.....well, I've paid to go to Nachi, but that was knowing that I was paying for a chair, bar service, food, drinks and pool. We walked all up and down that beach and there were a lot of people that just plunked themselves down with towels here and there and were enjoying.

The East Side has gorgeous beaches, but you cannot swim at most of them. They are definitely all free.