Coastal Kitchens. What's good? What's not so good?

I've a question for those who've experienced Coastal Kitchens, the suites restaurant on Oasis and Allure. I've seen the Harvest and Vineyards menus and to be honest, I'm not that impressed.

If you've dined in Coastal Kitchens, what menu items were good? What items were not so good? Additionally, how did you like the breakfast and lunch menus?

I'm planning our next voyage on Oasis and I'm currently trying to decide how many times we'll dine in CK and how many nights we will go elsewhere. Also wondering if we will be going elsewhere for at least some breakfast and lunches.

I hope everyone understands that I'm a compulsive planning. I'm retired now but I made my career planning things. I can't help it. I have to plan.

We did two weeks on the Oasis in July and ate in Coastal Kitchen many times. (Also ate in CK on our Quantum Back2Back).

The food is California style and was very good. However, it isn't a main dining room establishment…in other words, not a restaurant for dining every night of the cruise.

During the two weeks we ate in the main dining room 3 times, each of the specialty restaurants once, and the other nights Coastal Kitchen.

Dinner: all items were good.

Lunch: CK is similar to the dinner menu. The spinach and shrimp salad was my favorite.

Breakfast: excellent. French toast was my favorite.

You have already stated that you are not impressed with the two menus therefore you should book the specialty restaurants or have some of you dinners delivered from the MDR to your suite.

Edited by beachnative

We did two weeks on the Oasis in July and ate in Coastal Kitchen many times. (Also ate in CK on our Quantum Back2Back).

The food is California style and was very good. However, it isn't a main dining room establishment…in other words, not a restaurant for dining every night of the cruise.

During the two weeks we ate in the main dining room 3 times, each of the specialty restaurants once, and the other nights Coastal Kitchen.

Dinner: all items were good.

Lunch: CK is similar to the dinner menu. The spinach and shrimp salad was my favorite.

Breakfast: excellent. French toast was my favorite.

You have already stated that you are not impressed with the two menus therefore you should book the specialty restaurants or have some of you dinners delivered from the MDR to your suite.

Spinach and shrimp sounds great.

We're thinking of doing Sabor, Giovannis and Izumi for dinner. Perhaps one room service. That would mean three times in CK for dinner. Does that seem to be about right to you? We might also go to Windjammer too. I doubt we will do the MDR at all.

Edited by RocketMan275

I loved everything I ate there. The breakfast flatbreads are great.

These scallops were one of my favorites

Exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

All I've seen are the Harvest and Vineyard dinner menus. I haven't seen anything about the breakfast flatbreads. Could you tell me more?

We thought the scallops looked interesting and intended to try. Anything else that was good? Actually, the scallops, short ribs, tenderloin, and the fisherman's stew were the only attractive items.

Will certainly try the caramel. Looks fantastic.

Edited by RocketMan275

Spinach and shrimp sounds great.

We're thinking of doing Sabor, Giovannis and Izumi for dinner. Perhaps one room service. That would mean three times in CK for dinner. Does that seem to be about right to you? We might also go to Windjammer too. I doubt we will do the MDR at all.

That sounds like a good plan.

The CK menu changes on Day 5. I'd suggest CK twice during the first menu and once during the second.

If you find a favorite dish it might draw you back for another visit.

I love the date app on the first menu and the Sanoma Flatbread on the second menu is fantastic.

The quality of the food is a cut above the MDR food.

The one factor that enhances the experience is the view: the sleek decor, the outstanding service, and the huge windows of the Viking Crown put the restaurant in a class above all others.

Keep in mind that a buffet lunch is served in the Suites Lounge (not CK) on embarkation day. Enjoy

Edited by beachnative

We ate in 150 CP on our first night; and, though 150 has always been our favorite, we found the dinners in CK were as good or far better some nights.

Service is outstanding and you can't beat the view. Scallops were my favorite. Breakfast=eggs benedict perfect!

Edited by gadaboutgal

Hello Rocket...I too am an OCD planner so ask away!

Did you happen to read my review? I posted one here about my recent experience as a suite holder on Oasis.

For CK, when you board the ship you can head there for lunch. Avoid the windjammer if possible. You will find CK very relaxing, they will offer you a glass of wine and they will have a buffet for the first day boarding. Ours included Paella, Salmon, thin steaks and other goodies.

We ate there almost every morning for breakfast. I had the Baja eggs....so good and my SO always got two eggs with corned beef and my son liked the oatmeal.

Never ate lunch there and did have dinner one night. The scallops are good and so are the flatbreads. My review is more detailed and I have pictures. Maybe this link will work: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2245747

Our plan is pretty similar. We are planning on Izumi once, Sabor once (I would go twice if I can convince my group), Solarium Bistro and then CK 3-4. We've done Chops and Giovannis plenty and 150CP is just not our style. My mission is to avoid MDR and WJ. :D

I love Sabor! So some tips I put in my review for Sabor...

they don't offer jalapeños on the table-side guacamole but they will put them in if you ask them too. Spicy and worth asking about.

The sangria is a religious experience for me...and if you have the drink package, when the meal is done, ask for one to-go!

The offer short-ribs tacos and they offer chicken quesadillas...BUT have them make you a short-rib quesadilla. Pair that with a ice cold glass of sangria and you have a winning combo.

The portions are large, share and save some money and calories :D

I love Sabor! So some tips I put in my review for Sabor...

they don't offer jalapeños on the table-side guacamole but they will put them in if you ask them too. Spicy and worth asking about.

The sangria is a religious experience for me...and if you have the drink package, when the meal is done, ask for one to-go!

The offer short-ribs tacos and they offer chicken quesadillas...BUT have them make you a short-rib quesadilla. Pair that with a ice cold glass of sangria and you have a winning combo.

The portions are large, share and save some money and calories :D

Thanks for sharing. I did read your review and I have one question. Are reservations really necessary prior to boarding?

Thanks for sharing. I did read your review and I have one question. Are reservations really necessary prior to boarding?

regarding reservations, depends on where you want to go and what you want to do.

For Chops, 150 Central Park, Izumi and especially Hibachi I would get reservations. For Costal Kitchen, just tell the concierge in the suite holder's lounge that you want to eat there that night and they will pen you in. No worries. For Sabor, it is unlikely they will be so busy that you will need a reservation. They were always a little busy but never too busy to fit you in. If you discover while on board you want to go to Chop's or 150 for example, work with the concierge to help you get a spot.

Hands down the hardest reservation for us was Hibachi.

For the comedy show, reservations are a must. Even with suite holders privileges, it is a tough one to get. I saw a huge line each night with people on 'stand by' trying to get in but waiting for hours.

Many of the other shows have rows just for suite holders making it much easier.

For me, the worry-wart-OCD-super planner, I planned everything I could in advance to save myself any grief. And please book ALL excursions prior to boarding. The lines of people waiting to try and book inside on beautiful sunny days...missing all the fun because they were in line for hours...seemed like a huge waste to me.

On Quantum, I enjoyed, Lobster,Grilled Prawns, Caramelized Scallops, Grilled Prawns with Arugula, Beef Tenderloin cooked to perfection and several of their Flatbreads. Breakfast was very good. Did not enjoy the Fisherman Stew or Branzino. Service was always excellent in CK.

Looking forward to CK on Allure.

regarding reservations, depends on where you want to go and what you want to do.

For Chops, 150 Central Park, Izumi and especially Hibachi I would get reservations. For Costal Kitchen, just tell the concierge in the suite holder's lounge that you want to eat there that night and they will pen you in. No worries. For Sabor, it is unlikely they will be so busy that you will need a reservation. They were always a little busy but never too busy to fit you in. If you discover while on board you want to go to Chop's or 150 for example, work with the concierge to help you get a spot.

Hands down the hardest reservation for us was Hibachi.

For the comedy show, reservations are a must. Even with suite holders privileges, it is a tough one to get. I saw a huge line each night with people on 'stand by' trying to get in but waiting for hours.

Many of the other shows have rows just for suite holders making it much easier.

For me, the worry-wart-OCD-super planner, I planned everything I could in advance to save myself any grief. And please book ALL excursions prior to boarding. The lines of people waiting to try and book inside on beautiful sunny days...missing all the fun because they were in line for hours...seemed like a huge waste to me.

Thanks for the information. I'll do specialty reservations tomorrow. Giovannis, Izumi for sushi only, and Sabor. We've booked an OS on Allure for Spring 16. Maybe we'll do 150 then. Wife does not want to do Chops. (My steaks are better.)

We're pretty simple people. We don't do a lot of shore excursions. We prefer to remain on the ship and just chill out.

I will talk to the wife about the shows.

Questions:

-Is CK crowded on embarkation day? Would you do a specialty on embarkation day or CK? .

- Can you make reservations for CK prior to boarding?

- I see something on the menus "Today's Pie", says to ask your server. It's not a dessert since it's served with mashed potatoes. Any idea what that is?

Edited by RocketMan275

On Quantum, I enjoyed, Lobster,Grilled Prawns, Caramelized Scallops, Grilled Prawns with Arugula, Beef Tenderloin cooked to perfection and several of their Flatbreads. Breakfast was very good. Did not enjoy the Fisherman Stew or Branzino. Service was always excellent in CK.

Looking forward to CK on Allure.

Thanks for that information. That's exactly the type of information I was looking for.

The wife really loves seafood. I've seen the prawns, scallops, and tenderloin on the menus but I haven't seen lobster.

I loved everything I ate there. The breakfast flatbreads are great.

These scallops were one of my favorites

19222587396_952278e4f0_c.jpg

And this caramel dessert is to die for

19248668995_86569839e8_c.jpg

I agree with you about the salted caramel pudding. I had it on the Quantum, and it was delicious!

Eileen

- Can you make reservations for CK prior to boarding?

rocket, you will get an email from the concierge about a week before the cruise. We are going to ask him/her to reserve us at CK on the first night. I'm sure that is something they can do for you - possibly as many nights as you like.