Question about Cape Liberty Port

chabug2003

Hello, with this being our first time cruising ever, we have no idea how this port is and was wondering cruising through Royal Caribbean when you get to the port do you take a shuttle bus over to the ship through them or how does the process work getting to the port and what happens. Thank you

They finished the new terminal recently.

You drive to the end of the peninsula and you pull up in front of the terminal. You give your luggage to the stevedores, and then you proceed to the parking lot which is nearby.

There is no longer a bus to the ship, as the ship docks in front of the new terminal.

Pretty quick.

--------------

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Easy drive from PA to the port whether you are coming across I-80, or I-78.

By the time of your cruise next year the new parking garage next to the terminal should be finished.

This summer we parked in the lot across the street from the terminal. As mentioned above we drove up to the terminal, dropped off luggage and family members and then I parked the car. Walked from the car to the terminal. Upon our return we saw how busy it was in front of the terminal with people departing and arriving, so we simply walked from the terminal to our car with our six pieces of luggage.

• 3 weeks later...
Leaving from Cape Liberty on 09/19, traveling from the Allentown, PA area, whats the best route to the terminal...thanks in advance.

We're coming from the Stroudsburg region, so our route is slightly different, but a friend of mine who lives in Whitehall told me that it's a straight shot across I-78 (via US-22 and PA-33 in her case) to the port in Bayonne.

Get yourselves to Exit 14A of the NJ Turnpike via I78 or I 80, print out the directions I posted above (watch the video), and follow the directions into the port.

Carol,

We are on the September 10 cruise on LOTS. Can you confirm the concrete garage is now open? If so, is entry and departure difficult? When we return, can the porters bring your luggage on their carts directly to the car as they were previously able to with the outdoor parking lot?

Much thanks.

Lang

Carol,

We are on the September 10 cruise on LOTS. Can you confirm the concrete garage is now open? If so, is entry and departure difficult? When we return, can the porters bring your luggage on their carts directly to the car as they were previously able to with the outdoor parking lot?

Much thanks.

Lang

There's been no word that the garage has opened yet. Here is a thread with photos following the progress of the garage.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241596

There's been no word that the garage has opened yet. Here is a thread with photos following the progress of the garage.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2241596

FWIW, when we were on liberty a couple of weeks ago, the porter who took our luggage to our car said the rumor is the garage will open oct/nov. the outside looked completed, but they were still working on the inside.

Directions from NJ Turnpike Exit 14A into Cape Liberty

The ramp is straight across the toll plaza. Here's a video. No real street signs.

Please print out my directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. When you come through the toll plaza there are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is notoriously bad in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive.

Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Are your directions from north or south on the NJ Turnpike. We are coming from Delaware. Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

hope it's okay to bump this up. I will be on Liberty of the Seas. Is the parking lot a long walk from the pier? Is that why some use a shuttle?

I'm thinking it makes sense to drop the family off and then go park.

hope it's okay to bump this up. I will be on Liberty of the Seas. Is the parking lot a long walk from the pier? Is that why some use a shuttle?

I'm thinking it makes sense to drop the family off and then go park.

It dies make sense to drop the family and luggage off and then go park.

When are you sailing and what time will you arrive at the pier?

If you end up parking in the main lot, it is a short walk to the terminal. However, some folks have reported parking further away and taking the shuttle bus. The new parking garage is a wild card. It's not open yet, so no one knows how that will affect the parking scenario.

When I sailed in June I took the shuttle bus with my carry on luggage just for the experience. Coming back I just walked to my car.

While the drive from the luggage drop to the pay booth at the parking lot might lead you to believe it's some distance, the reality is that once you park your car, you're basically across the street from the end of the terminal. Depending on how early you park will determine how close you are, but at worst you are across a mall sized parking lot.

Our goal is to arrive at 11am. Our sail date is 10/17/15. The in-laws are in their 70s so dropping them off makes the most sense. I'm glad to know the walk isn't as bad as I feared...seems pretty simple if we arrive early.