FP Hotel Question

KruzeKrazy!

A question to those who have stayed land-based pre- and/or post-cruise: for we USers who have never been to French Polynesia before do we need any type of electrical plug converters for our US hair dryers, shavers, phone chargers, etc.?

Thanks! Brian

FP uses the 220 volt European style electric plug, same as if you were going to France. You can buy American to European Outlet Plug Adapters from Amazon for about $4 for a six pack or you can buy one at an airport gift shop for about $12.

Sent from my Nexus 7

FP uses the 220 volt European style electric plug, same as if you were going to France. You can buy American to European Outlet Plug Adapters from Amazon for about $4 for a six pack or you can buy one at an airport gift shop for about $12.

Almost all phone chargers are dual voltage (120 and 240). Most hair dryers are NOT dual voltage. You can buy a dual voltage hair dryer at Walmart for under $20. Can't help you on the shaver.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Sent from my Nexus 7

Staying at Fare-Suisse pre-cruise and Hilton Moorea post-cruise.

I would certainly not expect Fare-Suisse to have a US plug but perhaps the Hilton may like the IC does?

I stayed at the Hilton Moorea for five nights in an OWB. See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1941686

The outlets by the bed nightstands were 220 volt European style. My wife and I each used the nightstand outlets to charge our tablets overnight. I cannot remember if there was a US style outlet because I didn't use it.

I also used a third adapter to charge my SLR camera batteries overnight. That's why I buy the six-pack of outlet adapters. See

http://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-Europe-Asia-Adapter-Quality/dp/B0084OPT8C/

These things are tiny - about the size of a match-book. They don't take up much room in you luggage.

Edited by Mercruiser

Thanks! I just re-read your thread and looked at your great photos.

You've convinced me on the converter 6-pack. Thanks!

I've also spent years trying to get my DW to follow the "pack half and take twice the $..." you referenced early in your thread but,alas, to no avail... :(

At least I can control the "twice the $" part... :D

Most USA style hair dryers are designed to run on 120 volts. If you operate one of these on 220 volts, it will quickly overheat and stop working. With a dual voltage hair dryer, there is a switch for 120 or 220 volt operation. These can safely be used on either 120 or 220 volt power, as long as you put the switch in the right position first. Here is an example of a dual voltage travel hair dryer for $13 at Walmart.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Revlon-1875-Watt-Travel-Hair-Dryer/14282402

Sent from my Nexus 7