Apia/Samoa by taxi

lulu58

Am interested in RLS museum and other sights on the island when

HA Noordam is in port in Oct 2015. Is it possible to hire a taxi or

better to join tour? Not particular about beaches until after

the sights. Thoughts and suggestions including rough cost of taxi

to RLS museum. Thanks!!:)

Hi, we were there a couple of months ago.

We did not see anything we liked with the ship's excursions and decided to walk to the Museum. It's not that far and it was a nice walk down the main street past the government buildings and into the botanical gardens surrounding the museum. We got there before the tour buses and had the place to ourselves. It was $5 per person to get in.

When you get off the ship there will be a tent with tourism folks there. They can give you a map and direct you to tours if you want. We just took the map.

On the way out of the port there will be plenty of taxi tours to choose from. If you're not interested simply say no thank you and they'll stop asking. We heard a Fiji security guard remind some of the tour people of that rule. I read before coming here that some people feel intimidated by these approaches but we did not feel that way. Talk to them and make a deal if you want, or just pass by..no problems.

Enjoy your trip.

Hi, we were there a couple of months ago.

We did not see anything we liked with the ship's excursions and decided to walk to the Museum. It's not that far and it was a nice walk down the main street past the government buildings and into the botanical gardens surrounding the museum. We got there before the tour buses and had the place to ourselves. It was $5 per person to get in.

When you get off the ship there will be a tent with tourism folks there. They can give you a map and direct you to tours if you want. We just took the map.

On the way out of the port there will be plenty of taxi tours to choose from. If you're not interested simply say no thank you and they'll stop asking. We heard a Fiji security guard remind some of the tour people of that rule. I read before coming here that some people feel intimidated by these approaches but we did not feel that way. Talk to them and make a deal if you want, or just pass by..no problems.

Enjoy your trip.

This sounds more like the museum in Suva Fiji. Are you sure you are referring to the Robert Louis Stevenson Museum? I believe it is quite a distance. There will be taxis and "tour buses" at the wharf, all offering reasonable prices. Also as stated, there is an information tent on the wharf. Enjoy your trip

lilly3450 - you're absolutely right, I confused my two islands when answering.

The Fiji History Museum is walking distance in Apia and the rest of the information I included applied to Apia as well.

The Robert Louis Stevenson house in Somoa would require a ride. We took the ship's tour, it was just OK. It did get a little exciting when our driver stalled the bus on a hill and it started going backwards into the cars behind us. No one was hurt but a white SUV got a lot of front end damage!

Sorry for the confusion.

lilly3450 - you're absolutely right, I confused my two islands when answering.

The Fiji History Museum is walking distance in Apia and the rest of the information I included applied to Apia as well.

The Robert Louis Stevenson house in Somoa would require a ride. We took the ship's tour, it was just OK. It did get a little exciting when our driver stalled the bus on a hill and it started going backwards into the cars behind us. No one was hurt but a white SUV got a lot of front end damage!

Sorry for the confusion.

CruiseNH is still a little confused. Fiji is in Fiji and Samoa is in Samoa. Two separate countries. The Fiji Museum is therefore in Fiji's capital, Suva, and is walkable from the pier. This is an important museum as far as Pacific history is concerned and it has a piece of HMS Bounty on display.

In Apia, capital of Samoa, the town makes for a pleasant stroll and there is also Aggie Grey's Hotel where you can have lunch and use the pool for a fee. There is nothing specific to see in Apia. The RLS Museum is about 3 miles away and uphill most of the way. Taxis up there are easily obtained. You can also walk up to RLS's tomb, a short if steep hike and treacherous if it has recently rained. The house is nothing like the one owned by RLS - parts of it are a sort-of replica but mostly it's about 20 years old. I saw it being built back in 1994.

Apia and the island is best seen by renting a car. Driving is easy and you get to go to the great beaches as well.

Edited by Fletcher

Thanks for the help. Do you think it might be worth it to hire a taxi for the day, if we decide not to drive? Not really lay on the beach person as we live on one (!), but would love to see the Museum and the natural sights on the island. Do you have any idea as to the costs to hire?