Is there a mechanical problem on the Emerald ?

windsor26

Facebook reports there is a problem and it is going slow and shortening port stops Does anyone have any real news of this please?

Facebook doesn't usually "report" unless its on the company's page. Usually its just repeating what someone types, and who knows how reliable that is. Where exactly on FB did you read this?

We just spent two weeks (Jul 11-25) on the Emerald in the Mediterranean. While we did happen to go slow on a couple of occasions (e.g., under 10 knots in open seas) and we "thought" they had a stabilizer problem one day, everything otherwise was shipshape in Bristol fashion and all of our port of calls were as long as, or longer than, expected.

Edited by Chunder Worthy

We just spent two weeks (Jul 11-25) on the Emerald in the Mediterranean. While we did happen to go slow on a couple of occasions (e.g., under 10 knots in open seas) and we "thought" they had a stabilizer problem one day, everything otherwise was shipshape in Bristol fashion and all of our port of calls were as long as, or longer than, expected.

Stabilizer performance decreases with decreasing speed (much like the airplane wing they are modeled after), which is why most are designed to self-retract at 6 knots.

Stabilizer performance decreases with decreasing speed (much like the airplane wing they are modeled after), which is why most are designed to self-retract at 6 knots.

HA - I WISH I had your knowledge or intelligence about ships, but part of the reason I mentioned the stabilizer was because at 2 in the morning I got up to go to the sandbox -- not surprisingly wobbly already -- and the ship had a slight pitch (it zigged while I zagged). I fell over backward completely unsupported and thought I'd go through the glass balcony door. Because of that and some less-than-calm seas we just blamed it on the stabilizer. But thanks for that information. I am now edumacated! ;-)

HA - I WISH I had your knowledge or intelligence about ships, but part of the reason I mentioned the stabilizer was because at 2 in the morning I got up to go to the sandbox -- not surprisingly wobbly already -- and the ship had a slight pitch (it zigged while I zagged). I fell over backward completely unsupported and thought I'd go through the glass balcony door. Because of that and some less-than-calm seas we just blamed it on the stabilizer. But thanks for that information. I am now edumacated! ;-)

No problem. And whether you actually meant "pitch" in its correct usage (up and down motion in the fore/aft direction) as opposed to "heel" or "list" (leaning in port/starboard direction) or "roll" (motion side to side) would also determine if it was stabilizer related. Stabilizers have no effect on pitch, so if the ship is heading into seas, it will experience pitching. If the ship was heading into significant seas, the Captain may slow the ship down to keep the ship from experiencing "harmonic" pitching, where the length of the ship and its speed, and the period of the seas are such that the ship doesn't climb the wave, it buries its nose into it, and then lifts the stern up, and the propellers can come out of the water and overspeed. If they slow down for this reason, then the stabilizers work poorly as well, so it then falls to the ability of the watch officer and helmsman to minimize the pitching and rolling by properly steering the ship into the seas.

Even on cruise ships, the old salts' adage "one hand for the ship (your drink, if cruising) and one hand for yourself (something to hold onto), should always be followed.

Edited by chengkp75

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on Emerald at the moment, no issues at all. The Captain explains at each sail away the nautical miles, weather conditions etc and advises what speed we will be travelling at, last night 20 knots but the previous night was only 17 as not that far to travel 😃